Cancel your Orange contract early due to increase in call and data charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Before I go any further most of my post is taken from a thread started by ReVeD on Hotukdeals, I have only added my thoughts.

Orange will be from 14 Sep 2009 changing the cost of mobile internet browsing and some calls not included in your plan. For example. At the moment the minimum connection fee for calls made outside of your allocated minutes is 4.9p, however as of 14th Sep it will increase to 14.7p which is an increase of over 290%. You don’t need to have a Phd to figure out that is change is going to be to your financial determent if you exceed your inclusive minutes.

Full discussion over at MoneySavingExpert.com:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1825687

Or Hotukdeals

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/447987/cancel-your-orange-contract-early/showthread.php?t=447987&page=14

The long and the short of this is that Orange are changing the terms and conditions that apply to most of their non business customers, this will affect you even if you do not normally or have never gone over your allocated minutes. A contract is there to protect both parties, in this case as Orange are going to increase the cost of calling certain numbers, the minimum connection charge and daily charge for data allowance as a result you are well with in your rights to cancel the contract with out incurring an early cancellation charge. Remember it is Orange that are in breach of contract not you!

Such changes are covered under the clauses below which can be found on the Orange website.

4.3 You may also terminate your Contract if we vary its terms, resulting in an excessive increase in the Charges or changes that alter your rights under this Contract to your detriment. In such cases you would need to give us at least 14 days written notice prior to your Billing Date (and within one month of us telling you about the changes). However this option does not apply if:

4.3.1 we have increased the Charges by an amount equal to or less than the percentage increase in the All Items Index of Retail Prices published by the Central Statistical Office in the Monthly Digest of Statistics in any 12 month period;"

Orange will i expect make the return of your handset a condition of the closing of your account, however it clearly states under below clause that the handset does not form part of the contract.

"14 Devices

your Device is not a part of your Contract

14.1 Your Device and Accessories are acquired by you outside the terms of your Contract. "

If you don’t get through to somebody who will cancel your account the first time keep phoning. It took me a three attempts but I managed it ok in the end.

Edited by stroke a badger

Your reasond for cancelling will have to be what affect YOU, and you prove to them that you are being unfairly penalised by the change. Only you can decide what part of it applies - it certainly isn't a 'get out of a contract free' card.

i managed to cancel with no problems, they said it didn't affect me, but i came out with that one day it might, so legally i can cancel...she put me on hold and gave in, cancelled the same day.

Its really easy to do and well worth it

i managed to cancel with no problems, they said it didn't affect me, but i came out with that one day it might, so legally i can cancel...she put me on hold and gave in, cancelled the same day.

Its really easy to do and well worth it

Please it worked out ok for you :D

Orange have made a business decision not to introduce the proposed price changes, but will honour all existing cancellation requests. I expect they have seen their churn figures for the last 14 days and realised exactly how many people are leaving!

Remember, if Orange have agreed to action your request to terminate your account their decision not to introduce a change to their pricing policy will not affect you and your contract will be still be cancelled. If you have requested a PAC code this will still be issued.

I believe they lost 100,000 customers, can't you how or who i know :p

Makes you wonder who comes up with these amazing ideas...

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Received a sms message via my internet dongle from orange, categorically stating that they are not increasing their charges or, changing the terms and conditions.

Hope the idiot who dreamt up the proposed changes, does not qualify for their bonus, it must have cost orange thousands of customers who have scattered to other companies.:D;)

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"