Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • The question has been asked multiple times on this forum already, but unfortunately has not been answered yet.   First question is: how did your parents pay for this?    If they paid via credit card they can do a section75 claim to get their money back.    If they paid via debit card or bank transfer, they have learned the hard way that you should never pay for a trip via debit card or bank transfer.   Second question is why leave it so late to complain?  This will make things harder. This question is purely here for judgemental effect and is of absolutely no help to you, but hopefully will serve to warn others.   A bit of googling suggests that you should be able to contact the CAA to claim for a refund. You will probably need all sort of supporting evidence including the emails/letters you received from Expedia or a recording of the telephone calls.   Good luck to your parents. Please let us know if you try the procedure below and how it worked out for you. This will help other unfortunate Thomas Cook customers in the same situation.         Ahh yup, the above will only work if the package sold to your parents was ATOL protected - which you would expect a AAA company such as Thomas Cook to sell by default.   You may need supporting evidence such as original receipts / travel confirmation, to show that the holiday is guaranteed ATOL protected.   Good luck again!
    • Many thanks for your help very much appreciated.
    • threads merged (again)   i suggest you re read your thread from post 1    this had already been answered at least twice now.   dx  
    • After escalating my claims, they agreed to refund the postage costs only. I have therefore issue a Notice Before Action for the value of the lost items £180.
    • Back to one of the other blight on the UK which simply refuses to heal, Corbyn   Corbyns carrying on with the 'its everyones fault but mine, no changes there then: The labour who weren't me sabotaged me Labour staff who have worked tirelessly for labour since Jesus betrayed me Everybody betrayed me I did everything right   We've seen the standard type reporting: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/07/jeremy-corbyn-accuses-labour-officials-of-sabotaging-election-campaign https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/08/former-labour-donors-returning-to-party-under-keir-starmer-jeremy-corbyn     but this one makes the real telling points: https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-general-election-2017-blairites-labour-party-staff-sabotage-a9660946.html   "What is surprising, in fact, is how little resistance Labour staff put up to the Corbynite reign of error. The document that Corbyn and his eight top people have signed fails to provide a single example of obstruction. "   "The giveaway, as Nick Cohen points out, is that Corbyn complains about 2017, when a lot of Labour staff were “Blairites” and he did better than expected, and not about 2019, when he had total control of the party machine and did worse than at any time since 1935."   "With this pitiful whine of the sore loser, he has proved it. He has no judgement, and prefers the warm bath of myth to the harsh reality of responsibility."            
  • Our picks

    • Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
        • Thanks
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
        • Like
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
        • Thanks
      • 16 replies
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4032 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts



I moved into my privately owned , council leased flat in 2002. I did all the relevant registrations with the landlord ( council ) for council tax and service charge.

My council tax bills were sent in my name and were paid on time. The Service charge details were not amended. I forwarded the post to the previous owner.

In 2005 when I applied for a remortgage I found this problem and I "owed" this debt.

When I requested details of the bill the debt was just added to my service charge bill.

I had had no details of what they were trying to bill me for and requested I had a copy of the original bill. The Council failed to produce this until February this year in which I recieved a "re- issued invoice " for the period 1st April 2003 - 27th September 2005.

I have been trying to find out why I was not billed in the first place as like most people I do not have £1153 spare.

The council have refused to advise me of this and still demanded the monies. I made an offer to pay the money over a 6year period. The same time sapn as i took to get a bill.

This offer was refused with no chance of negotiation and been refered to solicitors.


Does anyone have any idea where I stand legally


Thanks in advance

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Service charge details were not amended. I forwarded the post to the previous owner.


Being realistic here, you must have known that you were liable for these charges. Rather than just forwarding the bills to the previous owner (who probably binned them thinking it was a mistake - which it was) you should have corrected this mistake at the time. Councils do make mistakes (as do other organisations) and it never pays to think you can escape your liabilities because of such a mistake - they always catch up in the end!!


I have been trying to find out why I was not billed in the first place as like most people I do not have £1153 spare.


You know the reason - you had not corrected the original mistake and ensured that the name was changed in the first place and you were forwarding the bills to the previous owner.


Does anyone have any idea where I stand legally


Thanks in advance


You do owe the money - however, under the circumstances it is not unreasonable to expect to be given time to pay and I suspect if you write to the council/solicitor and offer to pay the arrears over a more reasonable time period e.g. 2 yrs?, they will accept that offer. I am sure if it went to court that the court would allow you time to pay. You don't really want it to get that far though as court costs will be added to the bill.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...