You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

janmal2000

Retired Couple - live together or not?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3995 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hope someone can help me with this:

1. My mother is on a state pension and privately rents her house. She receives support from DWP towards the rent (she also pays towards it), DWP pays council tax.

2. Her partner is also on a state pension - living with his son (no mortgage,rent etc).

They are thinking of living together, he moving in with her, but they are both very worried about the DWP taking any money/deductions off them as they can barely make ends meet as it is. They are not married.

Due to his severe, rapidly decreasing mobility, i believe he is fully entitled to be receiving Invalidity benefit / mobility allowance at the higher rate (whatever the correct name/value is?) - he doesnt get ANYTHING like this at present!

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Would the DWP pay less towards the house rent?

Would the DWP deduct money from my mother's pension?

etc???

much advice desperately needed.

The DWP don't administer benefits in relation to rent and council tax, it is the local authority which does this. It really is impossible to say yes or no without having a full breakdown of their income, which I would not ask anyone to post on a public forum. As he is of state pension age, the benefit he should claim if his mobility is impaired as he will not qualify for working age benefits, is Attendance Allowance. It is not means tested. The higher rate is £70.35, the lower rate is £47.10 per week.

Here is a claim form: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/claimforms/aa1a_print.pdf

You could try fiddling around with the calculator below which will give you an idea tailored to their situation, if you were to put the details in as if they were living together. This calculator is to be used as a guide only, though - but it is very good: Start Calculation

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

thanks for that, have had a fiddle about but cant make the best sense of it! lol!

is there somewhere i can ring confidentially for advice?

thanks

You could ask at the CAB, or you could ask a Welfare Rights officer (you can locate one through your local council) to do a benefits check up for you.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)