New here! Please help, I'm dumb and in debt!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, writing this post makes me realise how silly I have been! While studying I managed to get myself in a bit of debt (£3,000 loan) (£300 credit card) (£2,000 overdraft). This was four years ago, since then I left the country and did a work placement overseas and completed my Masters. I am now back in the UK and do eventually want to get my debts in order!

However, to make matters worse I have lost my job recently and am six months pregnant. I don't want to stress about the debt collectors just yet.

I have applied for a basic bank account at Barclay's and now I am sure my credit file will be updated with my new contact info. I know I can't escape my debt forever and I am totally aware of my mistakes.

My question is, can the debt collectors check my credit file to get my new contact information? I have been away from the UK for 3.5 years? How long will it take before they start chasing me?

I'm just preparing and hoping that by then I will have had my baby and can maybe start working to try pay them back. Really stressed about this matter :(

Any info would be great.

Hello and Welcome, athen.

You say you've been away for 3.5 years, do you know if they have been chasing you while away, have you checked your credit file to see whats on there.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hiya, I haven't checked my report yet as I am scared they will then be able to trace me to my new address. I really would like to see my credit report. I guess I am petrified!

My advice is to sit back and wait for them to contact you. In 2.5 years the debts will be Statute Barred anyway so they will be up the creak.

Golden Rules

Do not phone Debt Collectors (no matter how much they threaten you in their letters)

Communicate in writing only (keep all the letters you receive and send in folders which you can get cheap from Wilkinson's)

Send all letters Recorded or Special Delivery (to prove you sent the letters)

And finally do not sign any letters you send (some Debt Collection agencys can be quite creative with Photoshop)

If you want a Signature for your letters try this site which Bazooka Boo found. You will have fun with it trust me!!

Online Personal Signature Maker - MyLiveSignature - Free Personal Signature Generator, Email Signatures, Blog Signature

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Hi,

Ive moved some post to avoid highjack of thread.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi there,

If the DCA's want to find you they will. There is no point being scared, because the likelyhood is that the debts will be unenforcable anyway. If you are having no problems with the DCA's at the moment then do not spend your time worrying about what "might happen".

If you do receive any letters in the future do not panic. Come back here having scanned them, and removed any identifiable details, and we will help you deal with that.

In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

Beating the DCA's day by day

My fight:

NDR - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Bank of Scotland - CCA'd 12+2 passed

CFS - Win by Technical Knock-out!:lol:

HFC Bank - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Chantry Collections - CCA sent

Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana :D

<---------- Have I given you top advice, have I made you laugh, click on the scales, it won't hurt you! :grin: