You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• I don’t know as all I have is an email from them saying this is your account number   “You have a new document available on your Capquest account xxxxxxxxx.   Please click the below link to login to view your document   Click here   If you have any questions, please contact us on 03339997228 quoting Xxxxxxxxxx.   We may have already been in touch with you by phone or letter, if you are not happy being contacted through email in the future or if you are not the person quoted in this email, please let us know.   Yours sincerely The Capquest Team“ Right now I don’t know what it’s for as I haven’t clicked their link or confirmed my identity to them on their site using their reference number. I presumed from reading around this was a student loan chase.   Thanks   
    • Glasses Fogging Up while wearing a Face Mask   Thought I would add this here as a Glasses wearer and being in Scotland where it is now Mandatory to wear a Face Mask.   Myself being as said a Glasses wearer have bought numerous different Face Masks to stop my Glasses Fogging Up when wearing these Face Masks but sadly none resolved the issue.   Tried numerous different recommended anti fogging for my Glasses but didn't resolve the issue.   Then I simply tried these Face Masks again except this time moving my glasses from the bridge of my nose down my nose to see if the fogging stopped and low and behold this simple solution worked.   So my advice to all Glasses wearers before you go out and start buying all different Face Masks to stop Anti Fogging is simply wear the Face Mask and move yours Glasses forward on the Bridge of your nose until the Fogging stops then you have and idea where to place your Glasses when wearing a Face Mask. (Note: it may be advisable for some people to get some sort of Glasses strap in case your Glasses fall off don't want to damage them)   This is just my perspective on being a disabled veteran and a Glasses wearer having to wear a Face Mask during this period of COVID-19 if anyone else has any tips please feel free to add to the discussion.   BE SAFE EVERYONE
    • well to sell the debt RBS would of have to have issued a default notice upon sale or before. now to take since june 2014 to issue a DN is outrageous so i suspect you did received a DN from then years ago but have forgotted   RBS had your correct address ...thus so do cabot  they can't issue a back door CCJ claim then like your other one (M&S CARD)  and must abide by the pre action protocol.   await cabot to start waving their arms at you   in the meantime, send RBS an SAR.    
    • who are capquests stated client erudio?
    • I figured if Barclays didn't want to comply with the law they should pay for the privilege.
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
izzard

Paying for housemates Council Tax - liability and court action

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4004 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi everyone,

I'm due in court on Friday for non-payment of council tax. I had thought it would be a simple case of explaining their mistake on Friday and that would be that... until I read about some of the cases on this forum.

When I moved in last year there were 2 other people living there already. One, a student who moved out a month into my tenancy and another, an unemployed alcoholic who I'll call "Mr. A" and who didn't claim any benefits and lived off an inheritance. My tenancy agreement had only my name on it though I don't have a signed copy (though I may be able to prove that the landlord emailed it to me before I moved in).

Prior to moving into the house I had only been told about said alcoholic that he was "quiet and keeps himself to himself" - not that he was a sometimes threatening, delusional alcoholic. This was by a previous tenant, and though Mr. A had lived there 2 years the landlord hadn't actually met him himself - I believe he didn't even have a contract.

As I was on Incapacity Benefit my Housing Benefit covered most of my rent and council tax. By August it was just myself and Mr. A living there (I presume the student who was there a month didn't pay any council tax) and I recognised Council Tax bills being posted to him. I would get calls from my landlord saying that Mr. A was behind on his council tax and that he would be taken to court if it didn't get paid. Mr A never answered his phone to the landlord so I would remind him about it. As far as I was aware he was paying it as letters stopped coming from the council for a while. I would see him going into town with the bill and then coming back. The couple of times my landlord visited, he asked to see the receipts for the council tax being paid but they could never be found.

Mr A eventually ran out of money around March and had to move back home with his mother to, as far as I know, a different county (no forwarding address).

Right before he left more letters and bills were coming from the council asking for payment though he acted confused saying as far as he knew he had paid the whole lot for the year.

I never received a bill myself - only letters saying my Council Tax benefit was awarded (I have a few of those as my circumstances changed a couple of times with IB appeals and IS claims). I even went into the Council at one point (Jan/Feb '09) as I'd seen one of the letters saying "other liable people" and my name on it that had been left in the kitchen. The woman I spoke to got quite frustrated with me saying of course I didn't have to pay I was on benefits - I was really concerned and kept checking with her to make sure which is when she got quite exasperated and I left it alone presuming that she was right and I was being paranoid. I don't know if that visit would have been logged on my file. She told me she didn't have any of the tenants names down as being liable but the landlord's! When I said the bills had been sent to Mr A, she shook her head and shrugged saying no that couldn't be she had the landlord's name as the liable person.

I also spoke to the council after I had moved out in late April as I had a bill sent to my new address. The woman I spoke to said to leave it to her and she would look into it. There had been another tenant who had lived with Mr A - he had moved in in November '08. Though we didn't really get on I phoned him to warn him that we may be liable for it - he said the landlord was sorting it out. I'm not sure if the landlord has now angled the blame at me - or even if he could do that as a landlord. I'm considering taking him to court and he knows that, since he denies my deposit being handed over and it wasn't in a deposit protection scheme.

I do have a copy of a letter my landlord sent the council in October stating that Mr A was liable for the council tax and not me as I was on benefits.

However... I believe now that I will be liable. How I can be charged and taken to court for a man's council tax that I didn't even know or wish to know just because I lived in the same property as him I don't know. Especially as I wasn't informed. I've written a letter to the council explaining everything but nothing back yet. I suppose I don't have time to request any information from them now as I'm in court on Friday.. is there any way to reschedule my court date so I can gather more evidence? Or is there no point since just by renting a room in a house I'm liable for everyone else who lives there?

Thankyou for any help. I'm expecting there's little I can do but would like to somehow fight this. I may go to see my local MP if there's any point. But if I'm just straight up liable then that's that I suppose...