Builder gone bankrupt, dealing with receiver and NHBC nightmare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently bought a new house, knowing full well that the original building company had gone bust, but one part of it was still trading. The week after we moved in, he ceased trading too. A firm was appointed by the recevier to deal with our major snags and they started work. That was 6 months ago, and the toilets still don't flush properly! :mad: We informed the NHBC, of course the toilets flushed ok when the inspector called, and he said the mismatched colour on the new cupboard fitted to replace a damp damaged one was 'tolerable'. The problem of course now is that the builder is still listed by Companies House - so the NHBC are still trying to deal with him, not the contractors (who start a job and NEVER finish it). :eek: Any advice welcome - apart from mending it all myself 8)

Edited by Mgmidgetdriver
Spelling mistake in titiel - sorry!

Oh dear Mgmidgetdriver, it sounds as though you're having a tough time in your new home.

I don't know what to suggest except to send a strongly worded letter to all concerned.

Have you made the receiver aware that the contractor is not doing a proper job?

Good luck, hopefully someone with more experience of this sort of situation will be along to advise you properly

• Haha 1

Hi

Many thanks for your reply - it got worse over the weekend, we discovered that the sewage pumps haven't been working since December so we had to get emergency sewage tank clearance - that's expensive. I am now going to try to claim that expense back too. Short of putting big signs out the front warning other prospective buyers......We are running out of ideas! Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Keep going at the NHBC - don't accept anything they say - at the end of the day, they don't have to live with it - you do. At the end of the day the NHBC is supposed to protect you if the builder goes bankrupt. Also, don't accept any offers, you can get them to double it - I did!!

DB

Edited by Discobob
Changed Username
  • Haha 1

What's the name of the company you bought the house from? Who's the builder? Who's the contractor? What's the NHBC's involvement?

In order to attempt to give competent advice, more detail is needed.

• Haha 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Hi. We bought the house from Bellfield Homes. The 'builder' I refer to is them. The contractor has since been appointed by the receiver - to finish off the snags. The snags weren't being done well - or in reasonable time, hence contacting the NHBC. They are now in the 'resolution' process - sadly as they point out, differences in colour of kitchen cupboards are acceptable, toilets that flush (but not well) are also in tolerance. No-one currently knows who is responsible for the sewage pump which isn't working - this cost over £450 at the week end to clear (we had sewage backing up into our house) and now needs fixing (it has never worked) - looks like we'll have to pay that too! Any advice/suggestions would be great :???:

Hi. We bought the house from Bellfield Homes. The 'builder' I refer to is them. The contractor has since been appointed by the receiver - to finish off the snags. The snags weren't being done well - or in reasonable time, hence contacting the NHBC. They are now in the 'resolution' process - sadly as they point out, differences in colour of kitchen cupboards are acceptable, toilets that flush (but not well) are also in tolerance. No-one currently knows who is responsible for the sewage pump which isn't working - this cost over £450 at the week end to clear (we had sewage backing up into our house) and now needs fixing (it has never worked) - looks like we'll have to pay that too! Any advice/suggestions would be great :???:

I assume the property is covered by the NHBC warranty? If yes, as Bellfield have gone bankrupt the NHBC is responsible for all repairs and damages you have incurred.

I suggest you prepare a complaint letter to the NHBC and post a draft - minus confidential information - here, which I'll try to proof for you. Then continue from that, dependent on their response.

In the letter detail the dates of occurrences, purchase and expenses incurred because of the property not being up to scratch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Have you got "A consistent approach to Finish" from the NHBC? That is a start.

Also - speak to NHBC Technical for advice - a totally different department with a viewpoint difference - Jamie Cant (yep - he is related to the famous Brian from your youth) is very helpful (use SAYNOTO0870 for number). You can get a copy of their full manual if you register on their builders site - I think the first is free as well.

What they are saying about the shade is rubbish - fair enough - walls that you will paint within 2 years - But a kitchen that is designed to last for 10 years min is a completely different matter.

Have you had your inspection done by them yet. If you did did you record it as they are quite good for trying to twist things round.

I also found our Welsh Assembly Member to be very helpful but not our MP - relating to glass contamination of the topsoil - If you do end up getting stuck try that approach - had a response in under a week.

Just wish I knew about this site when going through my wrangle with them.

Hope that info helps

L