You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

robdunn

can past repairs be taken out of my deposit

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4003 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi I was wondering if you could advise me if a past repair that at the time no issues was raised in getting it repaired can this be taken out of my deposit with out prior notice this would be done at the time of repair

3 months a go my bathroom sink the silicone around the edge of the sink started to split and the sink came away from the wall. Reported it to the agent and the agent and the landlady came round asked how it happen and explained it started on one side and has got bigger over time it took them to come out and see it I had to wedge it on to the wall it was being held to the wall by only 2 screws. The agent seem happy with this explanation at the time and raised no issues with the validity of this repair verbally or written.

Moved out 2 weeks ago and just received a statement from the agent stating their withholding £120 for the cost of the repair of the sink. 2 points, 1, all the plumber did was replace the screws and add more screws to the bracket underneath and strip and add new silicone as the sink was a non standard height was unable to get a pedestal.

2, how can their justify £120 for 4 screws and bit of silicone surely if they was making this repair at my expense I should have been allowed not only get my own plumber or make good myself.

Any help would be appreciated

Is you deposit protected? if so rasie a dispute with the relevant scheme.

If it wasnt your fault, then its the LLs responsbility to pay for it.

I am a landlord and this is the sort of example of a money-grabbing landlord which gives us a bad name! Responsibility for this sort of repair sits squarely with the landlord and you should not accept this deduction. Of course, it could be the agent trying for a little bunce???

Assuming your tenancy agreement is an AST which commenced after April 2007, your deposit should have been protected in one of the three government authorised schemes and you should have been notified within 14 days of paying that deposit of the details of within which scheme the deposit was protected.

If you were not given this information, your landlord (and agent) are already in breach of the deposit protection regulations. If they didn't protect it at all, you can sue for deposit, plus 3 x deposit.

As Planner has suggested - object to the deduction of this charge with whichever scheme your deposit has been protected.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

i spoken someone at the letting agents about talking about the sink and was told that the owner was away for 3 weeks and if i wanted to rasie the sink asa issuse i would have to wait till he was back now surely thats not right.

i can't find a clear answer on this if the agent and the landlord was to belive it was my fault do they have a duty to inform me of that they was going to charge me at some point

thank you

The key is ther status of the deposit. Is it/should it be protected or not;

1) if it should be protected and it is, you can raise a disput direct with the relevant scheme without awaiting the landlords return.

2) if it shouldnt be protected then you would be better waiting for the landlords return so you can enter into a dialouge prior to any court claim.

3) If it shoudl have been protected and isnt, then you should make threats about claiming for the deposits return + the x3 'compensation'.