• Tweets

• I've just taken another look through the stuff they sent me in response to the CPR request, the notice of assignment isn't the original , it's on a plain sheet of non letterhead paper, in fact it could have easily been typed up by Overdales, or anybody really.  On the other side of the paper are standard Lowell terms and conditions that are only half on the page. Should this be part of my defence?
    • I agree with my site team colleague above. We need to know all the facts including which company you are dealing with and an explanation of the problem. It really is too difficult to start giving speculative advice on some speculative problem that you have laid out as a generalised scenario
    • Moorcroft are sending a rep round to my house this week. What is the best way to handle this? Ignore and not answer the door or engage with them? I haven't acknowledged anything since I started on this journey and defaulted on my cards in December 2022
    • Very sorry but with the best will in the world, I don't think we can at all understand what the situation is here. Please can you try rewriting this on a word processor and maybe send a copy of what you have written to a friend and working out together so that the story is complete but as brief as possible. Maybe a list of dates as well. If you can do that and then repost your story we can have a look
    • Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Amazon Prime Member - Beware!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4507 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 8th June I bought a pair of dog clippers on Amazon. They were advertised as having free delivery so I took advantage of that fact. There was nothing saying I was signing up to a "Prime" account; I completed no forms etc.,

On 16th July I had £47.97 taken from my bank account by Amazon under the Prime Membership Fee. My account is with Abbey and its difficult for me to get mini statements from machines other than Abbey so I was unaware of the fact that this had been taken out. I actually thought that Abbey had taken charges from my account when I got a balance. Amazon taking this money without my authority meant that my direct debit for my gas and electricity was bounced.

I registered for internet banking (had done this before but forgot my passwords etc.,) and found on Friday that this money had been taken from my account but I didnt recognise who it was from and Abbey thought it was fraud.

Consequently my card was blocked and a new one ordered which will take 7-10 working days to get to me.

Just by chance I googled Amazon Prime and it came up with a new system brought in by Amazon which means that members can get free P&P on purchases and other "benefits". I was classed as a member. I phoned customer services and they advised me that a lot of people had been contacting them about this. They said that they would refund me the money but that isnt the point.

I did not sign up for this and they cannot produce a document confirming this. There was nothing on the website at that point to say that I was being put forward for a 30 day trial and after that I would have to pay £47.97. I cannot check up because after the goods were delivered I deleted the confirmation emails.

This was not made clear when I ordered these dog clippers. All I wanted was a pair of dog clippers with free delivery. Its ended up costing me £47.97 in delivery, a cancelled bank card, bounced direct debit - and they can't send me the documents confirming I signed up.

Has anybody else experienced this or am I the only one? What can I do about this? They are ignoring my emails and when I phone they make out its my fault for not noticing.

I'm not stupid! I know that I didn't sign up for this. Unless by ordering the dog clippers and taking free delivery I was automatically signed up then I did not sign up. Surely they have to advise you if you have signed up to this. It's shocking!!!

Gemspan

• Haha 1

I've been aware of Amazon plugging Amazon Prime, but this is the first experience of I've heard of anyone using it.

I'll still use Amazon when I feel like it, but I'll be giving Amazon Prime a wide berth.

Wish I could offer you some proper advice, but I thank you for bringing it to people's attention!

In all fairness, it has to be said they did make it pretty plain that if you wanted 'free one day delivery' it was going to be through or using a new service called Amazon Prime. There was a large white, blue and red banner across the top of the page and around the 'cart' on the page at the time. What's more it even had a check box on the page that would have said

1) regular FREE delivery

2) 2 day delivery Next Business Day

3) Amazon Prime - 1 day delivery TRIAL (details to follow) kind of like that, but better designed lol

You would have made your purchase, ticked the 'Amazon Prime' box and it would have said 'congratulations, you've chosen to take part in Amazon Prime a whole new shopping experience' in the Red\White and Blue colour scheme.

It would then have completed your order, you would have received 2 emails

1) Confirmation of Order

2) Confirmation of Prime Participation. It would have further told you 'You've signed up for 1 MONTHS FREE Trial of Amazon Prime and at the bottom it would have said:

If you want to continue after your Free Trial, do nothing. Your membership will automatically continue and we'll charge your payment method (MasterCard/EuroCard***-xx xx xx xx) £47.99 for the next year and annually thereafter. If you prefer, you can select "do not auto upgrade" before the initial charge or "do not auto renew" before any renewal charge in Your Account and your payment method won't be charged for the next year. You can always request a refund of the most recent charge if your benefits haven't been used in the new term. If we're unable to charge the payment method above for either the first year or an annual renewal, we'll charge another payment method we have on file for you. You can manage your full membership, including payment method and renewal setting through Your Account.

I only know this of course, as I too signed up for it. Unfortunately, this year at least everytime I've tried to purchase something from Amazon, it's either been out of stock or available cheaper elsewhere.

Now had this of been last year, everything was in stock and there was postal charges galore lol.

HTH

• Haha 1

Hi Ajax95

But that's the thing. I didn't sign up for it!!! When I ordered the dog clippers and opted for free delivery THEY signed me up for it without my knowledge! I completed nothing to say that I was willing to sign up for it.

This must be happening to a few people because the guy told me that he had had a lot of calls. To me it sounds like a [problem] - or at least they are unwittingly getting people to sign up to something they don't want without telling them they're doing it! The fall-out for me has been horrendous. I have bills to pay and I can't pay them until I get my new card. I'm absolutely livid!!

Do you know how long this prime service has been around?

Thanks

Gemspan

No, Human-error that didnt happen!!! I know that I didn't sign up for it and I received nothing to say that I'd signed up for it. That is the truth!!

I'm not stupid and I know when I sign up for something. Everything you say is correct NOW, but not when I ordered the dog clippers!!! I would never sign up for something like that because I have recently lost my job and every penny is a prisoner!! They told me that the express delivery was under the Amazon Prime but not the "free delivery". I didn't opt for express delivery!!

This may have been one of the bugs in the system at that point but I'm darned sure they are not going to pass the buck to me! I know I did not sign up for it.

Also, I keep my confirmation emails only until I have received the goods and found them to be in good order. I don't always necessarily open the confirmation emails but send them to a folder. If I have problems with the order that's when I go back to the confirmation details. I'm sure that many people operate like this and I'm not the only one!! Once the goods are received the confirmation email is deleted!!

When did you sign up for this service? Was it before June 2009 or after? Just wondering if they discovered the bug later on.

I do accept that now the details are there for you to see but not when I bought these clippers. Wish I'd never bought them now!

Also, before your "trial" period ends, they should be sending you an email advising you of this fact. I think they hope that people will forget and its a way of making more money!! Even if people clicked on the "trial", they can often forget. If they received an email I'm sure they would cancel the trial before they were charged the £47.97!!

Regards

Gemspan

gemspan - sorry but it's there for everyone to see and has been for at least 12 months. You took them up on the offer of free delivery when you signed up for the trial of Amazon Prime.

You missed it the first time around - sorry if you don't believe it but it was there.

As human.error points out, the Ts&Cs put the responsibility on you to cancel.

Hi

I too got caught with this. I googled and managed to get a number for amazon. Called and told them I signed up for free postage not realising exactly what I was getting into and they refunded me the £47 no questions asked. Sorry I haven't got the number but it was no hassle at all.

• 1 month later...

Just so's you know all, you can go to "Your Account" then "Prime Settings", and then "Cancel Membership" (blue button). If you haven't bought anything (and hence used the free posting that Prime gives you) since the charge, they refund you automatically. Well, they say they will, but they are good people so I believe them.

I got caught in this trap too, probably my only bad experience with Amazon, ever. I know it's my fault, blah blah, I didn't read T&C, blah blah, but damnit, you don't expect a business you've never had any problem with ever to stick a hidden £50 charge in the small print, do you? :)

Still, seems they've been pretty good about refunding everyone who rang up, let's hope this automatic refund works well, then the world will be as I thought it was.

I too have a problem with Amazon Prime. I dont consider myself a genius but neither do I consider myself an idiot. I am sitting here feeling like a naughty child at school for not understanding Amazon Prime. I was ordering something for my son last night and when I went to pay I was offered a 'FREE TRIAL' of Amazon Prime. I thought I had selected it to try it but here is where my problem differs from the rest, I apparently opted for express delivery although I did not think I had selected this option. I then, as most people do, ignored the email confirming my order. Had I checked it I would have seen that it had charged me £8.80 for p & p. Still sure that I had opted for the 'FREE TRAIL' I called Amazon to be repeatedly informed that I had selected express delivery and that I'd had every chance to change that before I confirmed my order. I am again sure my order stated £0.00 for p & p but I was assured that I was wrong- in the nicest patronising way. I have been advised to refuse to take delivery of the parcel Amazon will refund the full amount!!! This seems rather odd as it will now cost them double to have it returned. I will update you all when and if that happens. I am concerned it is not very clear what you are accepting when you opt for certain deals and I urge you to double or triple check before you confirm as I do believe the design of the option page is not as clear as it could be. Fionchaicon6.gif

• 2 months later...

Sorry I cannot remember how I got in touch but I trawled through many pages on the website before I managed to find that option. I have had another problem as I tried to add a new Visa Debit card to my payment options it would not recognise this type of card. I contacted them and got the 'have you activated your card' and 'did you enter the number correctly' email. Of coure I did they just do not have an option for Visa debit yet!!!!!!!!. This dispute is ongiong but through email this time. I suggest you order your items elsewhere and refuse delivery of the amazon order and they will refund the whole amount. Good luck. F.

• 2 years later...

This has just happened to me, I ordered something last year and clicked on the free delivery, not realising I was being charged £49 for the pleasure. I had no paperwork, e-mails or any other documentation that i had signed up for this, not even a T & C. I checked my bank this evening to find another £49 had gone out of my bank, with no warning or e-mail etc. I have trawled through Amazon to find out exactly what it is, and have since cancelled the subscription. Please check before you click, YOU DON'T GET FREE DELIVERY FOR NOTHING!!!!!

You do get free delivery though. You just need to read the options carefully.

well actually you dont get free delivery as you pay £49, when i purchased my goods there was nothing to suggest i was going into a contract, i had no e-mail or written confirmation. There wasn't even anything to say i was paying £49 because if there was i certainly wouldn't have agreed to that, as i dont use amazon enough to warrant £49 going out of my bank.

There are several delivery options. Amazon Prime is one and FREE super saver is another. As I said if you read the options it is there.

Obviously Prime is more prominent as thats the option they want you to take. But it does also allow you to click through and see what the trial entails.