old credit card debt with RBS - Advice needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have been going through my finances in the last couple of weeks to try and get rid of old debts and I really hope you can give me some advice.

I go my credit report from experian and I only have one issue which is an old credit card debt from 2006

What happened was I got a RBS credit card with a 250 pound limit, I had DD coming out too cover the minimum payment

but I missed 3 payments and didn't notice till the third bill, at that point it had gone up from 250 to 419 pounds in 3 months

as I was a poor student at the time I couldn't afford to pay it all but I went to the bank and spoke to the credit card

department and made arrangements to pay it off in 2 payments and to close the credit card so the debt wouldn't get bigger

the person on the phone agreed to that and I was to pay 200 pounds the following month.

I showed up in the bank to pay it on the right date but for some reason they couldn't find me in the system I was there for about

30min. spelling my name giving previous adresses but nothing they simply couldn't see I had ever had an account with them.

well obviously I couldn't pay it off when it wasn't there so I just forgot about it and got on with my life, but then 2 years later I started

getting letters from debt collection agencies for the RBS debt saying they had taken over the debt. I have pretty much just ignored these

letters since I started getting them because they looked a bit dodgy as they would send me "fake" letters from RBS saying they had given

said DCA the rights to my debt but they would come in the same envelope as the DCA letter and have no name signed on them so I didn't

trust them.

But since then I have checked my credit report and I have the credit card debt on there saying

Defaulted On: 19/09/2006 File Updated for the Period to: 14/09/2008

first of all I went in to pay it on the 01/09/2006 which is when I was told it didn't exist secondly I never heard another peep from RBS about the debt and so never

got a notice of the default!! second why does it say file updated in 2008 what happened then?

also it says on the report

Default Balance: £419 Current Balance: £396

The balance has gone down but I have never made any payments towards the debt!

I am just getting very confused now about what to do I was preparing to write to RBS and have them remove the insane charges of the CC debt and I would pay off

the rest in full and get rid off it but I am not happy about having the default on my credit report as I was prepared to pay it off in the first place but didn't get a chance

since they lost it and I never heard back from them saying they had found it again and that it was in default!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm really unsure of how to proceed now I just want this blemish of my credit report!

Thanks

A

Hi,

To close the account you would have to have a 0 balance.

I take it you don't have any statements for this account, do you have anything in writing from RBS confirming they couldnot find your account.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi sorry meant she said that they wouldn't put any more charges on the account since we had made an agreement I would pay it off in two installments and then it would be closed done finito credit card cut into little shreds lol

unfortunately this was all done over the phone in the bank since the bank people kept telling me that they couldn't do it in the branch since their credit card company was different from the bank itself (that one always confused me since I got the damn thing in the bank! and it's got RBS written on it)

anyway I didn't know anything about these things then and didn't ask for a writtin confirmation of the agreement which obviously I now know I should have done.

also meant to say I have still to this day never recieved a single letter form RBS about this debt since I made that agreement on the phone... only reason it popped up again was cause of the DCAs but it still says RBS on my credit report so I assume that means they still own it or??

Hi,

If you don't have statements, send RBS a Subject Access Request and re-claim the charges, this should also let you know the score regarding payments made.

Regards.

Scott.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have found quite a few templates on Subject Access Requests and I will be sending one off tomorrow! however I'm not sure hich template would be the best I have a current account with RBS as well and would like to get all the information on that as well since I want to reclaim my charges from there. can I request all the information on both the current account and the credit card in the same letter or do I send a letter for each account?

Thanks

A

Hi,

One SAR, with one £10 fee, this should get you all the info they hold on you.

There's one here, that should get you most things............

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/576-subject-access-request-debt-a-dca

Regards.

Scott.