hardship claim - offer from Halifax can anyone advise me?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, My total claim is over £3500 and I have been claiming hardship since I was redundant for 6 months, during which I incurred a lot of charges. Halifax have written offering me £205, on the basis that this was the amount of charges over the month prior to them making the offer. I am pleased they've offered anything but was hoping for significantly more. Is it worth phoning to try to argue for more? Also they've sent a form for me to sign saying I accept this amount, to be returned within 14 days. I assume my claim would still stand for the rest pending the court case even though this form states that I accept this "settlement"?

Hi, My total claim is over £3500 and I have been claiming hardship since I was redundant for 6 months, during which I incurred a lot of charges. Halifax have written offering me £205, on the basis that this was the amount of charges over the month prior to them making the offer. I am pleased they've offered anything but was hoping for significantly more. Is it worth phoning to try to argue for more? Also they've sent a form for me to sign saying I accept this amount, to be returned within 14 days. I assume my claim would still stand for the rest pending the court case even though this form states that I accept this "settlement"?

On the second question yes.

However, do you have priority debt arrears(mortgage/rent, council tax, utilities)?

Are any of the arrears being paid off. I think we might try and negotiate depending on the answers.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I don't have arrears, we have basically maxed out credit card in order to meet priority outgoings. We are at the credit limit now. However our income falls short of expenditure at the moment which is why I hoped for more in order to reduce some debt and be able to manage within our income, avoiding further charges etc.

I don't have arrears, we have basically maxed out credit card in order to meet priority outgoings. We are at the credit limit now. However our income falls short of expenditure at the moment which is why I hoped for more in order to reduce some debt and be able to manage within our income, avoiding further charges etc.

Ok, in that case, I would write back accepting the amount but ask them if they would suspend charges and interest to allow you to fully assess your financial position for say three months(so credit card charges/ppi, loans PPI, catalogue charges, maybe see if you can reduce outgoing further as well). I can't see room for negotiating a higher amount on the financial hardship part of the claim to be honest.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Ok thanks, not even worth a try? I was thinking of asking for say the last 3 months worth of charges back?

They have already agreed to suspend further charges for 3 months which is good.

And is it definitely ok to sign their own form? Or should I write an acceptance letter instead so I can state that we will continue to pursue the remainder in due course?

And is it definitely ok to sign their own form? Or should I write an acceptance letter instead so I can state that we will continue to pursue the remainder in due course?

Ok, I would write your own letter with their reference number(cos we know it will be a pain if you don't). Accept the claim but make sure you state you reserve the right to go back to them after the 3 month period has elapsed and that you will reclaim the full amount once the OFT test case issues are resolved.

Yes to the last question(which I have kinda just said on this post).

Sorry! I realise you'd said the claim for the rest still stands but was just double checking about their actual form since the wording on it worried me that's all.

Sorry! I realise you'd said the claim for the rest still stands but was just double checking about their actual form since the wording on it worried me that's all.

We were both on the same lines and I spotted the question before I hit the reply button so added the bit at the end.

Sorry to interupt here mrsm. I have been down this line and I had ;ots of arrears in lots of fields but they still wouldn't budge. Interesting that they offer three months free charges at this time to us. I wonder if they think there will be an out come from the house of lords fiasco by Sept ..Oct.. it may sway them one way or the other to see if they think they will win the final outcome. your welcome to see my thread nigel1804 now back for the rest. I think they do realise that they can not give you an offer that is a final and full settlement.

regards

nigel

HALIFAX CURRENT ACCOUNT SETTLED IN FULL 9/9/06.

N1 form completed 05-06-07,LBA sent 14-05-07,2nd go!Prelim sent 24/04/07

Halifax Visa 1.Paid in full

Halifax Classic.Paid in full.

LBA sent 14-05-07,GMAC prelim sent 24/04/07

Data Protection Act for halifax mortgage 16/09/06.

Its quite a standard approach nigel, it allows an individual to get into a habit on their budgetting and therefore the potential to avoid charges in the future.