• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Argos Sofa

JAN1471
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'll start, in May, I ordered and paid for a leather sofa and recliner chair, fine, they were delivered on the 1st april.

Fine great, they looked nice and fitted in well, with my living room, then we started to notice on the recliner, that the seat leather was starting to crease and become saggy, then we noticed little marks on one arm of the chair, so we called them and they said that they would send someone out to have a look. The guy came out and said that the seat hadn't been pulled tight enough when it was made, and that the marks were a defect. So he took photo's and sent them back to Argos and he told us that they would either send him an arm and get him to reapair the seat and the arm or that they would replace it. Ok fine. Last week I had a call from argos saying that they could not repair the arm, because they could not get the bits to repair it and that they could not replace it because they no longer stocked that model. I was told to wait untill the new cat came out and to chose another one, I asked the operative, will you have any the same price that I paid for the orginal suite as I was told that they would replace the whole lot because it was bought as a suite. The op told me, that they may well be cheaper, so ok today I go online and look only to find that the prices they are charging for leather suites have gone up considerably, I paid £480 for my suite and to get one simalilar it will now cost nearly £700. So hubby spoke to another op today who said that they couldn't get the materials to repair it(hubby came back with, what have you run out of cows). He was told that I would have to pay the extra, or we could have a refund and they would collect it. Now the problem with this is, it will take 3 days for the refund to hit my bank account, after they have picked it up and it can take anything up 6 weeks for delivery of another suite.

Now if I accepted a refund would I be able to hit them for compensation for having to go with out a suite? if so how much a day? or can I make them deal on the other suite? if so how would I word it to them?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the bump OA.

I have spoken to consumer direct(trading standards for South east).

They say that Argos have broken the contract that I made with them when I bought the suite, as it is not of reasonable standard and of the quality that it should be. They say that I should goto the store and speak to the manager of the store where it it was bought from.They told me to take photos of the damage with us and also to tell them that the person that they sent out to have a look, also said that the chair was defective. They said that we could goto the small claims court for any money that we had to spend out while waiting for a new suite, to arrive if Argos don't deal and we get a refund and buy one from some where else. Hubby called Argos and spoke to a manager or sup 2 days ago and they would not deal, all they would do is knock £75 off the cost of the replacement suite, so I would still have to lay out £138, to get something of a similar standard, now as i view it, this is not our fault, even their own people are saying it is of a sub standard, so they should replace it with a like for like product, now because they don't stock the same suite is not my fault, so they should replace it with the eqivalent one, and stand the cost of £138 and then go and get it back from the manufacturer, that made this suite.

So we are going into the store tomorrow to se the manager and we will see what happens, now trading standards said if going in dosen't work send the manager a letter stating what we want and giving them 7 days to get it sorted before we issue a small claims sumons. But we also email Sarah Weller, the managing director of Argos, if we get no joy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We went to see the manager of tthe local store where we placed the order. She could understand what we were saying and if she had the power she would take this sofa away and replace it with a new one at no extra cost, but as she said her hands are tied by head office. She asked if if we could match the colour with another sofa, but the problem we have is that the sofa may be the same colour but it is not the same design, ours has rounded arms and the one of a similar cost has squared arms, so it will not match in design.

Hubby and me are the same thought that we will have to email Sarah Wellar, to get this sorted, which we are in the throws of doing, we will give her 7 days to sort it, other wise we will take further steps. the staff at our local store could understand what we were saying and could not undstand head office.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After getting nowhere with Argos customer service I finally e-mailed Sara Weller (Argos MD). I sent the e-mail at 13.54, at 13.58 I received a reply from her PA apologizing that Sara wasn't in the office at the moment, but that they would pass the problem to their Executive Customer Resolutions Team. At 14.35 I was phoned by the head of the above team saying that she agreed with our position completely and that she would be calling us back on Monday to arrange a delivery time for Tuesday.

Argos Managing Director Sara Weller - [email protected]

If what we say helps you, then please tip the scales.:cool:

• 4 weeks later...

It took a little while to get the sofa, because of the sofa being in a different warhouse, to where the chair was, so we emailed Sara Wellers pa agin and acyually got him on the phone this time, saying that he was arranging for the chair to be transfered to where the sofa was and would we accept del on wed of this week, said ok, no probelm, then had him on the phone saying that due to the bank holiday, could they deliver it on thursday and that he could give me a 2hr time slot, sure fine, no problems with that. Early on thursday morning got a call, sying that they would be here at 12 to pick the old one up and drop the new one, fine, then another call saying that they were stuck in traffic, OK, not there fault once again. They arrived in a transit van, with no argos symbol on the side, fine ok, I then find out from the guys that they have driven from Sittingbourne to Broadstairs, just to deliver this suite. And that it was done on a MDR(Managing Directors Request). And that they were to do everything possible, to please the customer(Me), they stayed, where as normally you are left to put bits together not this time, they fitted the recliner chair together for me and put the feet on, both the chair and the sofa. That afternoon, we emailed back Sara's pa, to thank him for getting this sorted out for us. The sofa looks better than it does in the picture in the cat.

But we now have our sofa, thanks to Raye and Sara.:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]