Appealing against a Budgeting Loan decision

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5360 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Bit of background info first. I've been claiming JSA since December, and until February it was Contribution based then moved to Income based when my NI ran out.

Me and my partner are trying to start out on our own, and are in the process of moving to a new house. I applied for a Budgeting Loan to cover the advance rent we need to pay. Got a letter today stating they've declined because I haven't been claiming IB JSA for more than 26 weeks (rough calculation estimates this to be the week of 24th August) What are the chances of a successful appeal based on the fact I've only 4 weeks left until the 26 week limit? The reason I am asking is that I don't want to lose the flat plus the bond we have already put down to secure it. I know I a maybe pushing my luck here, but I just thought I would ask.

Be good to yourself, when nobody else will

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You will not have the decision overturned at review, because this is one of the qualifying conditions. A review cannot overturn a decision when a qualifying condition is not met. A review can also take a lengthy time, but what you can do is re-apply once you have been in reciept for 26 weeks.

The maximum loan rates for budgeting loans are currently:

Single person £348

Couple £468

Family £812

The minimum is £100.

If you have any current Social Fund debt, the amount you get could be reduced. However if you have any other debts, it is imperitive that you declare this because this will reduce the sum of weekly repayments. A lot of people think putting their debts down goes against them; it doesn't. The idea of it is to reduce the sum of weekly repayment so you are not left struggling with a larger weekly repayment.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

erika i get the impression that u work for the dwp or u have done....you know everything...surley i understand if uv been in the situation but you know bits and amounts nearly on everything....i am not dissing you or wanting to upset as it maybe reads i just keep thinking this lady knows more than just info

Lol. If I had a quid for every time someone thought that I'd be a very rich lady.

Installspark gets it too. For example has never worked in housing benefit or council tax benefit, but has a vast knowledge on the subject. People often ask installspark "Do you work for the council?" I know a little bit about council administered benefit but not a lot, so if I'm struggling to help someone on this subject, I'll refer them to installspark as I know he/she can properly advise the person. I also know he/she doesn't work for the council. He/she began researching the laws on LA because he/she had their own problems with them. Incidently installspark is extremly knowledgable in a vast array of subjects.

You don't need to be an "insider" to know these things. You simply need to know the right places to look for information, and be able to interperate the law. Anyone can find this information by scouring the internet, particularly legislation websites such as the Office of Public Sector Information.

Which is one of the reasons I like CAG and despise websites that charge to give people information which is free, and publicly available. I can't stand people making a profit out of vulnerable people.

People who work in DWP, HMRC or LA are not trained by their employers in every benefit administered by them. Only the benefit they, as an individual make the decisions on.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

This is exactly what makes the cag a great resourceful site people like ErikaPNP.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Oooh Pompey, you made me blush there!

Thank you, it's nice to be appreciated.

ErikaPNP,

You are welcome but credit where it is due, only wish we had more people with your level of experience as it is always spot on.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.