You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

Chris62

JSA for college leaver at 19.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3985 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Can anyone help with this?

I am 19 (June 2009) and finished my college course in June also. Now seeking work so went to see if i can claim JSA and look for work at my local job centre. After searching the internet i found i had to make a call first, which took days to get through, kept on hold then cut off. Finally i was told i would get a call back a week later (actually 2 weeks later) and was asked many questions for over 30 minutes. i was given an interview time the following week, which i attended.

During the interview at the Job Centre i was told i cannot claim JSA as my parents will still be recieving Child Beneift until i am 20!!! we have a letter which states CB ceases June 2009. Called Job Centre and they say i still cannot claim.

The Job Centre have been very unhelpful, not been able to get in touch by telephone since (always on hold or get cut off!!!), and will probably have to do 45 mile round trip to go back into see them, only to be told to call them first - like last time, which costs me £6 every trip.

Does anyone know if i am entitled to JSA as i am out of education now and actively seeking work with no luck. if not are there any other benefits i can claim until i find work?

Thanks in advance.

Chris 62

No-one on an internet message board can tell you definitively if you are entitled to JSA. But you can claim, sure - the worst that can happen is that your claim will be denied. It seems you've already done this.

There's no point in calling your local Jobcentre, though, or spending the money to go and visit them, because they don't actually decide whether or not you are entitled to JSA. That's done by the Benefit Delivery Centre (BDC), and the number will be on any letters you have been sent. So they are the people you need to call.

If you are out of full-time education, and no-one is receiving Child Benefit on your behalf, then it does seem that you could be entitled. I base that solely on the information you have provided - there may be other things affecting your claim that I don't know about.

So speak to the BDC. It may be that there has been a mistake made about the Child Benefit (Jobcentre Plus does not directly handle that benefit, so it's conceivable that they don't have the most up to date information), and also ask your parent to speak to the Child Benefit folks to see if there has been some error or confusion.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

My understanding of the school leaver/childbenefit termination dates/jobseekers allowance debacle is:

Until you are 20 your parents can claim childbenefit for you as long as you are in relevant full time education.

If your course comes to a natural end in June, July and August, child benefit will still be paid until the last monday in August.

If your parents relinquish your child benefit before the termination date the Jobcentre will "assume" it is still in payment because it was available to them until that date.

You can still make a claim to Jobseekers Allowance but once it is established that you are one of these cases your claim will be shut down without any payment.

My advice would be to make sure that your parents are still getting child tax credit for you until the termination date as well as the childbenefit claim as you are still classed as a student until then.

Then make your claim to Jobseekers Allowance on the first monday in september and you should be successful.

I know it doesnt seem fair but that is the way they are doing it...i know this because my daughter has just been through it and when I said I would relinquish my childbenefit i was told it would be assumed as still in payment because it was available!

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

My Son is between courses at college he starts again in september as he has enrolled on a 2 yr course taking him up to 20 yrs old as his EMA stopped he decided to claim jsa while he look for a part-time job this he did get and the jsa is now in payment.

We got a Letter from child benefit today stating as he is claiming benefits in his own right the child benefit will stop.

Now this is fine with me as i have checked this out.

When he stops the jsa in september and goes back on ema we can start the child benefit again until he is 20 yrs old.

Your child goes back into relevant education or training

We can pay Child Benefit if your child takes up relevant education or training again, for example after a period of unemployment. If your Child Benefit had previously stopped because you no longer qualified for it, you can make another claim. Your child would need to have been accepted or enrolled onto the course before their 19th birthday for you to qualify.

HM Revenue & Customs: Child Benefit if your child is in further education or training

PF

If I have been of help to you please feel free to click my scales to the left Thanks.:)

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is what I have learnt here and offered as a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

CARTER V Co-Op

BANK CHARGES

REFUNDED £3567

POMPEYFAITH V Co-Op PPI

OFFER MADE BUT REFUSED

ONGOING AND STILL ONGOING

NOW WITH THE OMBUDSMAN

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Hi

I am in a similar position with my 18yr old son.

He finished his college course in June, applied for JSA and I was told by his Advisor at the Jobcentre to cancel my child benefit + child tax credit as it may affect his claim. I rang both CB + CTC the next day and both were stopped. A couple of weeks later the Jobcentre wrote to my son informing him he wasn't entitled to JSA because 'someone was entitled to CB for him'. I rang CB and they, after 2 weeks, re-instated the CB payable until the last Monday in August, then his JSA starts in September. I've contacted the CTC and here is my query....the CTC stops the day he finishes his course because he is no longer in further education. Why then does the CB run on and the CTC doesn't?

Regards

Deb

No-one on an internet message board can tell you definitively if you are entitled to JSA. But you can claim, sure - the worst that can happen is that your claim will be denied. It seems you've already done this.

There's no point in calling your local Jobcentre, though, or spending the money to go and visit them, because they don't actually decide whether or not you are entitled to JSA. That's done by the Benefit Delivery Centre (BDC), and the number will be on any letters you have been sent. So they are the people you need to call.

If you are out of full-time education, and no-one is receiving Child Benefit on your behalf, then it does seem that you could be entitled. I base that solely on the information you have provided - there may be other things affecting your claim that I don't know about.

So speak to the BDC. It may be that there has been a mistake made about the Child Benefit (Jobcentre Plus does not directly handle that benefit, so it's conceivable that they don't have the most up to date information), and also ask your parent to speak to the Child Benefit folks to see if there has been some error or confusion.

I've found that people in one department rarely have any understanding of benefits from another department (sometimes even their own).

I have been told misleading/wrong advice over the phone and in person many times, the latest one was being told by the JC and also over the phone that no money could be claimed for medical expenses and travel because I am on Contribution based JSA, however after speakeing to the actual NHS benefit department, this turned out not to be true and they quickly sent me out the forms i needed !. Always question them and seek further advice, never take one persons word for it.

Andy

I've found that people in one department rarely have any understanding of benefits from another department (sometimes even their own).

I have been told misleading/wrong advice over the phone and in person many times, the latest one was being told by the JC and also over the phone that no money could be claimed for medical expenses and travel because I am on Contribution based JSA, however after speakeing to the actual NHS benefit department, this turned out not to be true and they quickly sent me out the forms i needed !. Always question them and seek further advice, never take one persons word for it.

Andy

These are fair points, and indeed no-one at JCP should be giving out advice if they don't know what they're talking about. What you were told sounds like typical confusion - it's true that JSA (Cont) carries no automatic entitlement to NHS costs, but you can still apply for them on the basis of low income. Same with Housing and Council Tax Benefit.

It is true that people who work for the DWP are not always trained in anything other than the benefit they work on. The rules for a benefit are generally quite complex, and it wouldn't be reasonable to expect anyone to know everything about all of them. But that brings me back to my first point - they should indeed recognise their own lack of knowledge, and be able to point people to the person who does know.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.