1st National Locksmiths

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few weeks ago I called these people out to take a look at the back door on a house I had purchased. The handles on the door were damaged, and it had broken the lever/lever mech inside.

They clearly state that there is 'No call out charge' and you only pay for the replacement lock plus a set fee of approx £68 for the labour.

He duly arrived, removed the old lock from the door and tried to identify it, whilst he was doing this I stripped down an identical type of lock on the shed door for comparison. After he had inspected the lock and compared it to his rather large catalogue of locks, He said as it was an older type of double glazed door, and was in fact PVC clad aluminium, he was unsure if a replacement lock could be ordered, but would enquire. He gave me some rough figures for the lock, handle and labour and it was gonna be over £200 (which is utter crap as I did lot's of research online beforehand and know the cost of a handle is about £25 and not the £50-60 he was saying)

He called back the following afternoon to say he had been unable to source a replacement. I informed him that I was going to replace the entire door as it would actually be cheaper in the long run... £329 for a new door, locks and extra security, rather than £200+ to repair an old door that should be replaced anyway.

He then starts going on about charging me for his time as he spent (at most 30 mins at the house) time taking the old lock out and so forth (losing one of the nuts in the process).

Since then I ahve been getting nuisance calls from this company demanding payment of £40 + VAT... when they clearly have a No call out fee policy.. basically they are just trying it on to get some money because they know they aren't getting the rest of the work and can't rip me of that way.

I have repeatedly told them that I will not pay and they cannot charge me for a call out. I had the last call today in which I got quite angry with them and told them that if they called me again, I would report them to trading standards, report the matter to their CEO and also make a complaint to the police for harrassment.

Looking for some advice on where exactly I stand, and what steps I should take in the future if they continue making these calls.