Dilemma - lying?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5372 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI all.

As you may know, I have landed a new job with a yet to be declared start date (except it will be ASAP).

I'm waiting for a CRB check before I get a written offer. I have already accepted the verbal offer and my references have cleared so it's just the CRB check.

Now I have not been in trouble with the police and no offences, warnings etc, so I am sure that there will be no problems. However, Crapita, sorry Capita run it so I wouldn't be surprised if I get results back showing me as one A Hitler or Dr Shipman.

Problem is I really do need a loan to get a car (and the remainder to tide me over until I get paid) before I start work (I need to get used to driving again and want to sell a load of stuff at car boot sales etc).

Sooo, if I apply for a loan (there are a few with a 2 month holiday period before repayments start), do I just give my details as though I have started in the job? It is the only way that I will get the money.

PS - car finance is not an option, nor is a credit card. It MUST be a loan.

Hmmmm - the thing is, what if the loan company check with your employer (which they sometimes do to verify your income). I used to work in personnel and got regular faxes from loan companies asking me to confirm employment. Wait until you get a start date first, then at least you can put that on your application form.

The last thing you want is to be caught out - the credit search will be shown on your record and, as you know, the more credit you apply for, the less likely you are to obtain any.

If you manage to get a start date, then apply for the loans with a 2 month breathing space, you should be ok.

My flatmate's offered to get a loan for me so I think that will work out better.

and then you clear off double-quick, accidentally lose contact with him, and leave him in the lurch for the repayments;);)

or isn't that the plan?;-)

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

Sooo, if I apply for a loan (there are a few with a 2 month holiday period before repayments start), do I just give my details as though I have started in the job? It is the only way that I will get the money.

No, because it's fraud.

“Bankruptcy is a legal proceeding in which you put your money in your pants pocket and give your coat to your creditors” - Joey Adams :D

Friends or family are bout the only ways.

Think about it for a minute, would you lend someone two grand who not only will be likely to be in probation in a new job, but hasn't actually got a confirmed start date yet? I know I wouldn't and it would be irresponsible lending to say the least.

I would doubt a credible lender will lend in the current market until you have been in the job for quite a few months.

And that's the problem, after the credible lenders are out you are left with the loan sharks and doorstep loan firms charging 200+% apr.

I'd say swallow your pride and ask friends or family for help. Also you really don't need to be spending 2 grand on a car, look for a high mileage ex company car, they tend to have been properly serviced and are much cheaper than low mileage cars and there's plenty of firms having to get rid of staff and their cars. Failing that, buy a banger to tide you over for a few weeks/months, there's plenty of places to buy a car with a few months tax and test on for a couple of hundred quid or even less, when you've done with it, scrap it.

“Bankruptcy is a legal proceeding in which you put your money in your pants pocket and give your coat to your creditors” - Joey Adams :D

Oh please read from the start. I never said the whole amount was on the car. The car is about £800. the rest is to pay for the first months insurance, petrol and other day to day expenses until I start.

The start date will be practically a week after the CRB clears. And buying any old car gives the same difficulties. I NEED MONEY TO BUY IT IN THE FIRST PLACE AND INSURE IT!!! Please do think before posting

Oh, and given that there will be a lot of business mileage on it, getting a banger is not a good idea because I'll probably get the boot if it keeps breaking down.

I am looking to buy a car next month (as I'll need one for new job) and have found plenty on pistonheads - some as cheap as £400 (with tax and test left on them). It'll do me until I can afford a better car - that's for sure. That may be an easier amount to borrow from friends and family than 2 grand!!

After a few months, you can then apply for the loan you need to get the car you want! Definitely check out pistonheads (or autotrader for that matter).

EDIT: Said all the above before refreshing and seeing all your above comments - so please ignore.......

I dont have £40, never mind £400.

And again, I also need to pay for insurance and money to tide me through until I get my first pay.

And I do not know anyone who is in the position to lend me any money.

Oh please read from the start. I never said the whole amount was on the car. The car is about £800. the rest is to pay for the first months insurance, petrol and other day to day expenses until I start.

The start date will be practically a week after the CRB clears. And buying any old car gives the same difficulties. I NEED MONEY TO BUY IT IN THE FIRST PLACE AND INSURE IT!!!

Wind your neck in, you never stated how much of it was for the car and I was offering the only realistic solution I can see along with explanations as to why the others are out.

Loan - Nobody will give you one because you aren't working yet.

Credit Card - You said no

Finance - You said no, plus you are unlikely to get it.

Have you tried the Job Centre to see if they can help out with a loan? I doubt it, but if you don't ask...

Only other place I can think of would be credit union, but you'd need savings with them before they will give you a loan so I guess that's out too.

After that you are looking at doorstep loan firms who charge silly APRs Lenders Compared: An Independent Site .

Please do think before posting

Indeed, then again I'm not the one who is in a dilemma about commiting fraud!

Good luck

Right, I'll put it this way.

Does anyone know of a lender who will loan money at a reasonable(ish) rate on the basis that I am now unemployed but will not be in a months time as I have a job offer?

Is that simple enough?

Probably, as mentioned, the likes of Provident etc......but I'd be very wary due to the high APR. However, they would be your only choice, and even then there is no guarantee they will offer you a loan.

If you are still claiming benefits (and I think you have to have been for 6 months) then I'm sure you can apply for a social fund (or similar) which can be used for help with getting back to work. This includes transport costs etc., etc. It's always worth a try.

He can't get a loan because there is an overdraft even though it is well within the OD limit :mad:

sounds like good prudent credit management

Right, I'll put it this way.

Does anyone know of a lender who will loan money at a reasonable(ish) rate on the basis that I am now unemployed but will not be in a months time as I have a job offer?

Is that simple enough?

let me consider the various options for a moment and suggest some possibilities.............

1. Nip down to Halfords and buy a bike

2. Bus

3. Shanks' pony

yup, that's about it!:D

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

I don't want to put a dampener on things, but....

I advertised for a temporary assistant ~ it was a 6 months post and the start date was pending the CRB check which took 5 and a half months to come through so the assistant didn't start!

So, if that's anything to go by you could get a loan and a car and it could have broken down by the time the CRB check gets processed!

• 2 weeks later...

It seems my prayers may be answered from a most unlikely source - RBS (a much hated former employer (Direct Line).

Checked the website and explained over the phone. Made an appointment and have been in today.

They have set up a graduate bank account for me and are transferring everything from my current account, and said that they will provide a loan (subject to credit check etc) on production of a firm contract of employment.

So let's do a comparison between my current bank, ABBEY and RBS.

Abbey

Would not give me a loan (unless it was to pay the overdraft which is free anyway - like I'm gonna get a loan at 8% to pay for that!).

Would not extend overdraft. £2000 is their limit.

In short, NO HELP WHATSOEVER!

RBS.

Gave me an overdraft (well, trasferring it anyway).

Offered INTEREST FREE loan to pay overdraft.

Offered loan at 3% (subject to status) and DID NOT require pay check to go through first.

So it seems, and I never thought I would hear myself say this, a pat on the back to RBS and

PANTS AND BOO TO ABBEY! Scumbags.