has any one seen the new car tax surrender rules

craig8661
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5359 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

was browsing the dvlni site northern ireland not sure if it counts for the mainland.

does it look like you can get a refund for road tax now or from what i can gather if you sell the car you cant just keep the tax for refund.

on there site

New vehicle tax refund rules

From 1 January 2009 only the Registered keeper or the last previous Registered keeper of the vehicle will be entitled to a refund of vehicle tax. This means a keeper who has received a Registration Certificate (V5C(NI) in their name from DVA. We must also have been told that:

the vehicle has been scrapped, exported, stolen, sold or transferred; or

you have made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) for the vehicle and it has not been taxed within 21 days from the date of the SORN; or

you have changed the vehicle's tax class to a nil value tax class (such as "Disabled")

site link DVA - Vehicle Licensing - Getting A Tax Refund

You going to be very popular if you keep calling GB 'the mainland'. It's no more the 'mainland' than Europe is the 'mainland' for GB! Ireland was pretty 'main' last time I looked - Rathlin Island residents call Antrim the mainland.

As for the tax refund, anything they can do o stop folk getting their rightful money seems about right!

with what i was reading it was not going to be posible to get a refund on tax when the car was traded in but reading further into it i think they where trying to put people of returning there tax.

i will see if i can find the ni gov site that had the info and post it up to see what you think.

Well that certainly doesn't apply to the quoted rules above.

New vehicle tax refund rules

From 1 January 2009 only the Registered keeper or the last previous Registered keeper of the vehicle will be entitled to a refund of vehicle tax. This means a keeper who has received a Registration Certificate (V5C(NI) in their name from DVA. We must also have been told that:

the vehicle has been scrapped, exported, stolen, sold or transferred; or

you have made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) for the vehicle and it has not been taxed within 21 days from the date of the SORN; or

you have changed the vehicle's tax class to a nil value tax class (such as "Disabled")

And the bit in green would seem to illustrate that this quite is for NI.

I don't see your point. What has changed that you think makes these so unreasonable?

Pat, I for one think these new rules are unreasonable. A lucrative part of the motor trade was cashing in tax discs that were left on vehicles that were part exed which were bound for auction, by the dealer. Now that is difficult. True, I can register the vehicle in my name, but that means holding on to the car for between three to six weeks. But consider the case of a one owner vehicle I recently had. It came in with eleven months tax on. Obviously I couldn't register it to myself, and make it a two owner. Imagine my grief and despair when I watched that car go out of my life with the best part of £180s worth stuck to the screen that once upon of time would have been mine :evil:

Imagine my grief and despair when I watched that car go out of my life with the best part of £180s worth stuck to the screen that once upon of time would have been mine :evil:

Why didn't you offer the owner 90quid less for the car but give him the tax disk to cash in for 180quid. That way you'd both have been better off and not have to "give" all that money away to a stranger at the auction.

Why didn't you offer the owner 90quid less for the car but give him the tax disk to cash in for 180quid. That way you'd both have been better off and not have to "give" all that money away to a stranger at the auction.

Yes, that could be a way to go in the future. I have actually done deals in the past where my only profit was the tax disc.