Law re: no MOT /Tax while driving to garage, then on to MOT test?

Zombe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5389 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What is the legal position? My car is currently SORN (no tax, no MOT), I need to drive it to a garage tomorrow to get a full service etc. Then on to a separate MOT center.

I have insured the car by phone. I have insurance policy No, docs posted to me today. Can I legally drive it for such purpose?

I have searched .gov, VOSA, and Google - could find nothing other than must have valid MOT, Tax, insurance. :confused: Help appreciated!

As far as I know you are allowed to drive the car to the MoT test as long as the test is booked. Unless the service garage and the MoT centre are in opposite directions you should be OK - not strictly legal but OK.

• Haha 1

Well you have left it a bit late to ask so all you get so far is me and hightail and I am no expert.

However, my understanding is that you can drive to a garage for an MOT. So hopefully, in the event that you are stopped which i must say would be very unfortunate, you will be on your way to the MOT and will explain that calmly. You can invite them to contact the garage for confirmation that you are booked in and you should be ok in my opinion.

If you are pleased with my response please tilt my scales and my name is Pedross

p.s. if anything goes wrong I am popeye the sailorman.

• Haha 1

car is exempt from having road tax and mot for the journey to mot station only after you have made an appointment , if you pass tax exempt to return home , if you fail you get vt30 on vehicle , you are mow exempt from tax and mot , to and from place of repair , and back to mot station

• Haha 1

Thanks all :), I think the best thing for me in view of your advice is to reverse my original plan, and to sequentially do in line an amalgam of what you advise. In other words, I intend to book MOT first thing tomorrow, car will probably fail, drive car to place of repair and back to testers under exemption of vt30. - Would that be legal? From my understanding of what you say I think so. I hope not to get my car seized. Thanks for the advice :) - Mike.

Thats it - looks like a plan to me.

Good luck with the MOT, think positive and it will pass! Works for me.

Pedross

Thanks mate!:) If I get stopped, road worthiness wise, I believe it will fail on emissions due to it needing full service having been off the road for a year, and due for a service before hand. It is otherwise safe everything works fine. Its very old, but its a Toyota :) Mike.

Edited by Zombe
Clarity

Thanks all :), I think the best thing for me in view of your advice is to reverse my original plan, and to sequentially do in line an amalgam of what you advise. In other words, I intend to book MOT first thing tomorrow, car will probably fail, drive car to place of repair and back to testers under exemption of vt30. - Would that be legal? From my understanding of what you say I think so. I hope not to get my car seized. Thanks for the advice :) - Mike.

Having the MoT first would be the most sensible thing to do and then any failures can be fixed by the service station if you don't want the MoT station to do them.