• Tweets

• Hi All    I've spent 2 weeks without a phone and over 4 hours between phone and livechat talking to samsung about my broke s10e phone screen.   I bought the phone in June 2021 and long and short of it the phone screen broke while in my pocket. I made a call before getting in the car and it was fine. Went to make a call when I got out the car and the screen had cracked and some LCD damage. The LCD damage has now fixed itself. I called samsung to get this repaired and they flat out refused to repair it as it was physically damaged and their warranty only covers manufactuer defects and that all their phones are rigoursly tested. I told them that if all their phones are rigoursly tested and don't break in peoples pockets just like that then my screen must be one with a manufacturers defect and that it is covered by the warranty then. At which point after climbing as high up the chain as I could this was the only answer I would get.    Is there anything I can do here ? I am not lying about it breaking in my pocket. It's got a full phone case only things showing are front/back camera and fingerprint reader and no marks besides from placing my case on. I just don't feel that it's fair that they expect me too pay £190 to fix the screen when it is obviously defective. What if the replacement screen breaks randomly then they will just expect me to pay another £190 I expect.    I've also tried approaching EE who my phone contract is with to which I was advised to go  to samsung or they could quote for a repair or I could early upgrade.   Please any advice would be greatly apreciated I'm at my wits end here.
    • If your ex provides their latest address to any creditor chasing him for debts, you should not be bothered.
    • Npower    https://tinyurl.com/y5krktbw   Octopus   https://tinyurl.com/yxawe4d7   British Gas    https://tinyurl.com/y5ppp8m2   EON   https://tinyurl.com/yxtnu8ou   Scottish Power    https://tinyurl.com/yywu7mh3   EDF    https://tinyurl.com/yahjzwxr   Gov    https://tinyurl.com/prnh38t   Urls take you to utilities suppliers        
    • Complain to Mazda UK.  Tell them you've got the safety recall and you don't want to use Mazda Crap Dealer for the work but your nearest alternative is 40 miles away.  Ask what they suggest you do...   Of course, as you've already got it booked in etc you probably don't want to mess about with it, and it is a safety recall so needs attention.  And your old dealer might not be happy with you - but can they be any worse?  Think about it.  You could just complain and see how they treat you in 3 weeks time when you bring it in...   But I like being awkward... and it can have it's downside...
    • Travellers returning to UK from Belgium, the Bahamas and Andorra will have to quarantine from 04:00 BST on Saturday. View the full article
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
cookie_muffin

Wholesaler & Consumer Law

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4028 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

Just looking for some help here...I've just tried to demand a refund at a wholesaler...to cut a long story short I started talking about SOGA etc, however, was shot down and told that "as we are a business to business wholesaler and you have signed in your agreement upon opening an account with us that you are only buying goods on behalf of the business, and not for personal use, that consumer law does not apply..."

What they have said is right - they don't deal with people wanting to buy stuff for themselves, only companies buying on behalf of the business. It is in the T&C of the makro card I signed for...

Is this right though?

Were you returning faulty goods? Have never had a problem with that at my local Makro.

They are correct in that there are less rights in business to business contracts of sale. But are you a business? It will depend on various factors.

Even so, their own T&Cs on the website state that they have a 28 day no quibble return and also have a 12 month returns policy (the legality of some of those terms are a bit questionable).

I think you cut the story short when the longer (factual) version is needed in order to be able to offer advice.

They are correct in that there are less rights in business to business contracts of sale. But are you a business? It will depend on various factors.

Even so, their own T&Cs on the website state that they have a 28 day no quibble return and also have a 12 month returns policy (the legality of some of those terms are a bit questionable).

I think you cut the story short when the longer (factual) version is needed in order to be able to offer advice.

Thanks for your advice so far.

I bought a Dyson vacuum around 8 months ago, it's totally broken now...won't turn on. I took it back for a replacement/refund, to be told they don't take them back. I was told to contact Dyson direct and they would arrange to repair it. I said I wasn't happy with that, my contract is with them, not Dyson. That is when they started saying consumer law doesn't apply. They said that "to make it easier for customers, with certain products, we will direct you to a helpline who will either repair, or if it is uneconomical to do so, will provide you with a reference number to bring to Makro and we will replace/refund".

I think what they were trying to say that as they are a business to business wholesaler, that as far as law permits, their Terms & Conditions state what the policy is in the absence of consumer laws (i.e. SOGA).

I suppose that being a Makro member they class all members as retailers ( when a lot are not ) . In their eyes you have bought the product to be resold to the public so it seems it is your responsibility to contact Dyson.

I have returned faulty goods after a week or so and have never had a problem. Perhaps it's down to the Manager how returns are handled.

Get a Hoover next time !!!!

SOGA does not apply exclusively to contracts for the sale of goods to consumers - it just gives consumers more rights. All contracts for the sale of goods are covered by section 14 (2):

Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.

Thanks for your advice so far.

I bought a Dyson vacuum around 8 months ago, it's totally broken now...won't turn on. I took it back for a replacement/refund, to be told they don't take them back. I was told to contact Dyson direct and they would arrange to repair it. I said I wasn't happy with that, my contract is with them, not Dyson. That is when they started saying consumer law doesn't apply. They said that "to make it easier for customers, with certain products, we will direct you to a helpline who will either repair, or if it is uneconomical to do so, will provide you with a reference number to bring to Makro and we will replace/refund".

I think what they were trying to say that as they are a business to business wholesaler, that as far as law permits, their Terms & Conditions state what the policy is in the absence of consumer laws (i.e. SOGA).

So I take it what they are saying is correct...?

It's not a matter of consumer law, it's one of contract. You have a contract with Makro, not with the manufacturer.

I think a letter to their head office is in order, as well as reporting this to Consumer Direct.