Misrepresentation from CarShop?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4515 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a car at the beginning of this month, telling the salesman that I wanted a specific car that had one owner and a full service history. He came back and actually said to me "I've found the perfect car for you" I should have realised this wasn't true.

Firstly, the car had been MOT'd less than a month ago, yet within 1500 miles, the replace brakepads message has come up. Secondly the handbrake doesn't engage until its almost at the top of its limit. Quite how this passed an MOT is beyond me.

Next I find out that the car has had three previous owners:-x

I phone them up and apart from having to travel 40 miles to their own workshop to have the brakepads and sensors replaced, they have fobbed me off with the following letter:

Further to our telephone conversation of ***** regarding the previous keepers of the vehicle that you have purchased, I have investigated your concern and it would appear that a genuine administrative error has been made.

We had received the vehicle into stock without all relevant documentation and were waiting to receive these so that we could update our computer system. On receiving the log book into stock, you had already made your purchase and the file holding the details was passed to your business manager without updating.

I can assure you that this difference would not have had any affect on the price that you paid for the vehicle.

blah blah.

Now, I haven't mentioned the price would have been different, they have admitted they haven't sold me the car I wanted and now I have a car that I will have trouble selling in the future.

They fixed the brakepads, but not the handbrake and I had to go to their premises to get even that.

Discuss the legalities please. What would you do?

A HPI Check would have shown the owners and the log book definately. You failed to check these before parting with your cash?

The good thing about this, is that the letter you have is a legal document admitting that the garage has made a mistake.

An MOT would have highlighted the brakes on an advisory sheet, they wouldn't have replaced them or failed it, if they were legal and working. The sales chap probably just gave you the certificate. If the car was roadworthy when it was MoT'd then thats that. Same for the handbrake.

An admin error is not your problem. If you don't want the car because of the number of owners, then take it back and ask for a full refund.

You can go here and have a look at any Certificate and Advisory.

MOT Information - Introduction

Just pop in a couple of details, (nothing personal) and up it comes with all the past MoTs as well.