Mackenzie Hall?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just been on the phone to mac hall about another debt that I have no idea about, they have told me in a previous conversation that the debt was from 10 years ago and that I had not made any payment since. This is a statute barred debt, plus I have no acknowledgement of of it.

The question is that when I first rang them tonight the kind lady didn't ask for a ref number and just asked why I was ringing. I said it's in relation to the letter I recieved today about a doorstep 'assessment' in the next 10 days because they have had no response to previous letters (1 previous letter!). I told them last time that I would send a letter to explain it's statute barred. I've not yet. My fault I know.

The bit about the conversation which has confused me is she said, "because you never told the company in question that you had moved house we can still collect the debt". She then hung up. So I rang back a bit annoyed and a male asked for the ref number and I explain what had just happened and I was now harrassing them like they are with me. He asked my address and I refused but he discussed the account anyway, is breaking data protection? Told them I was sending a letter and didn't want to hear from them again.

Now this is where i'm confused, so now it's my fault for not letting the company know where I lived? I'm sure if they had looked hard enough they could of found me!

Has anybody else come across this kind of line before?

Not only are MH total idiots but they are under warning from the OFT with regards to trying to collect on Statute Barred debts. Just send the SB letter & if they continue to pursue make a complaint to the OFT [email protected]

"because you never told the company in question that you had moved house we can still collect the debt".

Total bollox :rolleyes:

Any letter you send to MacHall should be sent by recorded delivery otherwise they will simply deny they got it ! keep a copy of the letter and proof of recorded delivery.

You can then check on the Royalmail website a few days later to print off the signature receipt - so when they tell you they haven't got your letter you can say "Really! well you signed for it at (Time) on (Date) !

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.