Bank charges taken from my WFTC

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have just had a letter from Halifax who I bank with-and I went over my overdraft limit because the bank paid 2 cheques for school dinner monies( I did miscalculate when my WFTC was paid in), two lots of £35.00, and a charge for going over my OD limit £28.00.

Are they allowed to take it from my benefits? It's the only monies that ever go in the account.

I didn't have a choice-either I write the cheques or my kids have no dinner money. But over £100.00??? That can't be right.

Hi,

I have just had a letter from Halifax who I bank with-and I went over my overdraft limit because the bank paid 2 cheques for school dinner monies( I did miscalculate when my WFTC was paid in), two lots of £35.00, and a charge for going over my OD limit £28.00.

Are they allowed to take it from my benefits? It's the only monies that ever go in the account.

I didn't have a choice-either I write the cheques or my kids have no dinner money. But over £100.00??? That can't be right.

Can they take it? Yes since the act relating to benefits is about assignment of a debt which bank charges are not. However, if the benefits are meaning you cannot eat then the bank does have a duty to release some of those funds under "treating customers fairly(TCF)".

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Hi lollipop , :)

Both yb and tilly have good points there :

1. yb mentioned Treating Customers Fairly - which means ethically as well as within fiscal rules .

2. tilly has given you a good link there , but that is usually for funds which are yet to come in, which are earmarked for a crucial purpose ...... so funds already taken are not included .

If this is the first time this has happened , lollipop, it may be worth your while to pop into the bank, tell the Manager what happened and ask if he will consider refunding these charges . Local managers have authority in these cases and can make you a 'goodwill' refund - but you can only get away with this once . (it might be worth mentioning 'treating customers fairly' if they're being awkward .....

If you like to have a look at this link which I posted on the other day , you'll see that it worked ...... and that was HSBC who are notoriously hard to convince.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/209644-charges-overdraft-review.html#post2294485

IMHO, it's worth a try - the alternative is to open a parachute account to get your benefits paid into so they can't grab your money .... then you can pay off what you can afford , not what they want to take .

Parachute Account

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/13832-do-you-need-parachute.html

Edited by johnnymitch
afterthought.......

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

I will have to give them a ring-unfortunately it isn't the first time-I rang about 18mths ago for something similar and they said they could only do it the once.

Thanks guys-I'll ring and see what I can do.

You'll be lucky if they play ball again then lollipop:rolleyes:

But think about the Parachute Account if you need space from their nonsense ..... it's one which you can use for everyday expenditure and Income ....... but don't go overdrawn .. :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Hi Lollipop as Johnny says, if you open a parachute account and transfer your WFTC payments over, you can start to reclaim your charges, you could go the hardship route.

Letter for an application for consideration for hardship

I'm not sure they have a case under FH at the moment.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Well, you were right-quite a hardfaced bunch of people, couldn't seem to work out that they had increased my chances of going over again by taking the money.

They seem unable to figure out why people are so vehemently opposed to these places-after all the bail out cash they have had-and to still treat their account holders like cash cows.