• Tweets

• Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cap One Card-Need a little info

DDWales
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4810 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I managed to cheat the process with Cap One a little, they missed the rediculous low charges refund offer out on mine. They actually came in with over a grand for their first offer.

You won't get any where with them until the N1 has been issued judging by past cases on here. Their 14 days is over Thursday so let the fun and games begin. Bring it on.

Good luck.

are there any templates on this forum? Cant seem to find anything...

There's a prelim and LBA here...............

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account number:

I am writing to request that you repay all the late payment fees and/or over limit fees that have been applied to my account.

I do not believe the charges reflect the true cost to [insert name of credit card provider] and are unfair and disproportionate. I am therefore requesting a refund based on the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

This is supported by the Office of Fair Trading’s April 2006 statement into credit card charges, which noted that the level of charges at the time, and prior to that period, were unfair.

The charges total £[insert total charge], plus as I believe I have been unlawfully deprived of the money I have calculated £[insert total of interest] interest at the statutory rate, the amount the court will award.

I therefore ask that you repay me the full amount of [insert total of charges plus interest]. I have attached a full schedule of the charges and interest with this document.

I look forward to a full response to this letter within 14 days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

letter before action

Dear Sir/Madam,

CARD/ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

Further to my preliminary letter of xxxxx with regards to charges levied against the above account,I note you have failed to respond and show no intentions of refunding the charges.

As indicated previously,I consider that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to late fees and over limit charges, are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

Whilst I am mindful of the OFT investigation in 2006 of credit card fees,the OFT deemed that only a Court could determine the fairness of fees and so the £12 figure was only fixed as a guideline.

I make a further request that you refund to me £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in interest for the sums which you have taken. Total £XXXXX.

Additionally, you have entered a default notice against my credit record. This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you, or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by the taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

I give you a further 14 days to comply,or else provide me with a full Breakdown of your costs in addressing any breach on my behalf,which demonstrate clearly that your charges are in proportion to your actual costs.

Failure to do so,will result in me issuing a county court claim for recovery of the charges plus section 69 interest and costs.

Yours faithfully,

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 2 months later...

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

• 3 months later...

I am in the process of reclaiming CCd charges from Cap 1. After issuing an LBA they have responded with the fact that I cannot reclaim under the Statute of Limitations Act as the charges are over 6 years ago. Is this true? I understand that these guys like to play hardball and only act when court papers are issued!

Cheers

Anything over six years then yes I am inclined to agree with them......but anything UP to that time then no, they should cough up...

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Just nicked this from Scott

The limitation actlink3.gif 1980 is quite clear ( see section 32 ) that in cases of fraud, deliberate concealment or the consequences of a mistake the period of limitation does not begin to run until the Claimant has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it. Claimant's could not have been in the slightest bit aware that charges applied to their credit card accounts were either unlawful or unfair prior to the OFT publishing their report into credit card charges on April 5th 2006. Basically, until that time any Claimant could not reasonably have been expected to have discovered the credit card companies deliberate concealment etc.

Claimants would therefore be fully justified in arguing that the period of limitation did not commence on this matter until April 2006, so you may argue that you have until April 2012 to make a claim in respect of ALL the unlawful / unfair charges applied to your account since that account was opened with the credit card company.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Cheers all. Brilliant as always.:-)

I thought there would be something I could do! :-D Im at the MCOL stage with them so wanted to make sure before proceeding. Would appreciate one of you to give my claim a once over before submitting when ready!?

Great link Shadow - very useful indeed!

I'd like to know what you and the others think in relation to the findings here

Compound interest is payable in restitution - http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/reports/article2133988.ece

Specifically, how does it impact on the debate relating to reclaiming penalty charges (credit card or otherwise) and claiming for Compound Contractual Interest as well as the usual Statutory?

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

Great link Shadow - very useful indeed!

I'd like to know what you and the others think in relation to the findings here

Compound interest is payable in restitution - http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/reports/article2133988.ece

Specifically, how does it impact on the debate relating to reclaiming penalty charges (credit card or otherwise) and claiming for Compound Contractual Interest as well as the usual Statutory?

You'll find sempra metals quoted quite a bit in the bank charges claims, its also been used to get compounded interest from credit card charges but the firms tend to fight all the way up to the court doors on compound interest whereas if you ask for simple you usually get without even having to file a bundle at court.

S.

Interesting stuff guys- thanks as always!!! I'll shall be reading up and getting on the case with this very soon......

Whilst your doing that, I'll go the offy and get the beer in!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!