• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bill of Sale registration

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5250 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Have been helping a friend with this as she is very depressed about her car been taken and alot of money still owing.

The Bill of Sale date 13th November 2007.

Just heard back from the high court they did not receive it until the 23rd November 2007 and was actually registered on the 26th November.

Is it 7 working days or just seven days as this would make a difference .

They also advised her to seek legal advice on this matter.

She signed her credit agreement on the 14th November has all payment details on this but the Bill of sale actually only reads the amount secured and the rate of interest . Please help:confused:

Bump

Thank you for your help , just trying to define what exactly is clear days , working days or just full days , looks to me the bill of sale was not registered in time , has anyone got any thought on this please ?

Thank you for your help , just trying to define what exactly is clear days , working days or just full days , looks to me the bill of sale was not registered in time , has anyone got any thought on this please ?

My understanding is that it's clear days (e.g. not working days).

most of the info on the bill of sale needs to be the same as on the credit agreement.

you are correct

one tarnish the other

if the bos has not been registered corectly and they have taken the car, demand its return or a claim will be started for its replacement or value

as tyhe bos has been registered outside the perscribed period, the vehicle is not secured on it so its nothing more than theft

one tarnish the other

not always. you can have a bill which is void but the credit agremeent could still be in tact. It just means that the security is void which means (as you have mentioned) that if a car has been taken you could be entitled to it back or a replacement

hi sequenci

people are of the opinion that if the bill of sale is void, there is no security but it then falls onto the credit agreement

me and johnchris have been through this by an indepth investigation and have it confirmed that if one is tarnished, they both are

i have this from the oft

our finding are to be released in due course

hi sequenci

people are of the opinion that if the bill of sale is void, there is no security but it then falls onto the credit agreement

me and johnchris have been through this by an indepth investigation and have it confirmed that if one is tarnished, they both are

i have this from the oft

our finding are to be released in due course

Please do, it will help a lot of people if it is to be the case as it would go against the opinion of many firms high up within the debt advice world :)

I have been reading up on Bills of Sale recently and I do know that an application can be made if the Bill of Sale is not registered within 7 days.

The company applies via a court order and witness statement to the high court to explain why the bill of sale is registered late together with a further fee of £40.00.

I believe that what will have happened is that they tried to register the bill of sale,

it got knocked back because it was out of time

and they had to ask for the court to order that the bill of sale be registered out of time

- does that make sense.

I dont know if this helps but I think in this instance the bill was registered late.

Cant help about enforceability though that one is over my head.

I will try and dig out the relevant sections.

HH

Do you think it is worth writing to the OFT about this to get their opinion ,

as yes the bill of sale wasn't registered in time in my opinion and has hardly any figures on the bill of sale but has most of the financial figures in the agreement

.Not to mention it was witnessed by someone from Log Book Loans .

Can anyone help me compose a letter please ?

Edited by Blown up

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

as previous post

as long as the notice of late registration is complete and LBL paid the £40

(which they would have done, the courts wont accept it back and register it otherwise,

it would have just come back to you as unfound)

then its the same as within the 7 days.

The fact it was late doesnt count a jot in terms of it being enforcable or not.

The bill of sale is the key document that makes the loan enforceable.

If its signed and registered then Im afraid LBL have acted totally within the framework of the OFT an the loan is legally binding.

I think my issue is that everyone seems obsessed with the BOS and that being the route to get their agreement overturned with LBL.

Let’s look at the facts,

LBL have been going 10 years,

are not some tin pot firm but are the UKs largest provider of loans secured against cars,

have over 100's of employees and know their stuff.

This site is littered with people who are about to take LBL to court,

destroy the company and champion their downfall.

The reality LBL haven’t lost a single court case as their BOS’s are well constructed from a legal point.

The OFT approved them and helped draft them for god sake so why anymore who expect them to overturn them purely based on their structure is beyond me!

I appreciate the issue here is when they are registered and the 7 day rule. 999 out of 1000 will be registered on time.

Look there’s nothing wrong with people exploring every avenue,

just be realistic,

you may think you were miss sold,

you may think they are sharks,

but they know their job and the amount of loans that will be overturned based on the BOS is minimal.

Well let’s face it zero in their ten years of existence.

Maybe the mis selling route is more realistic and will get more of a hearing from the OFT,

90% of the energy used on the site on LBL’s is on the BOS and that just seems a dead end

Edited by boocoo
wrong word

have not lost a single case

what about the cases trading standards have taken to court

now i know

ive delt woth three threads where lbl have withdrawn

or do you take withdrawing a case as not lost

last comment on this

BUSTED

you work for log book

LOL believe me I don’t work for logbook and wouldn’t,

it’s against my principles,

they prey on those who can’t get credit elsewhere.

Yes their customers know how much they will pay back and no, noone has a god given right to walk away from a loan just because they don’t fancy paying back,

but people who take these loans out are desperate and most don’t want to or are incapable of looking at the long term commitment and that’s LBLs market and that’s why they cause so much mess.

Edited by boocoo

ok guys I’m going to stop posting on this one.

As I stated I’m trying to focus people on where there is hope not get bogged down in all the legal chat side of it which is largely made up of legal sharks taking people for a ride and fellow victims starting little more than Chinese whispers

Good luck with all your court cases guys but just keep in mind the when the legal side breaks down

Edited by boocoo

ok guys I’m going to stop posting on this one. As I stated I’m trying to focus people on where there is hope not get bogged down in all the legal chat side of it which is largely made up of legal sharks taking people for a ride and fellow victims starting little more than Chinese whispers and generating a cult mentality of “if we say it enough times it might be true”. Just step away from the forum where other people in the same position hoping to convince each other there is hope and ask why don’t any of these posts end with “guess what I had my loan with LBL overturned today” I mean it’s not as if they haven’t been going on a while is it, some date years, all just fizzling out or dragging on.

My uncle was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 years ago. Lung cancer is a baddie and the odds were against him. He survived 12 months which is ok but I don’t see what good it would have done him to spend his time on a website where people were saying its fine and he will probably live for years. Sometimes the truth isn’t pleasant, isn’t what people want to hear but guess what, it’s the truth. Come on an OFT approved document written by top contract lawyers and tested in the courts time after time vs. people so depressed with their situation they will listen to anything they are told?

Good luck with all your court cases guys but just keep in mind the phrase” miss sold” when the legal side breaks down because I honestly think thats where people have a chance of stopping these loans being enforceable. You know their reps where selling not explaining.. now prove it and you’ve got them.

I've seen many, many, many log book loans which have been drawn up incorrectly. I work within the industry and can assure you that badly drawn up logbook loans are commonplace. Two words: Document Fee

Now look, I’ve replied when I said I wouldn’t see!

It really insulting to say I work for anyone like these guys.

I had a loan with MM and got my loan annulled through proving it was mis sold.

All I’m saying is despite what seems good advice,

just link me one thread out of the 100’s going back years,

show me one case on the OFT or justice courts web sites,

name one person who has won a case based on their standard documents being unenforceable

and then yes I’ll put my hands up and say this is the way.

There isn’t any!

If that makes me an employee then fine,

to me it makes me a realist who is trying to say there is a way of winning these cases with the OFT’s help.

Not saying everyone who has took a loan out should do it.

Taking out a loan and trying to get away with not paying it back is called fraud,

but I was mis informed about how much I would pay if I paid back early,

they gave me wrong information when they sold me the loan.

I proved it and they cancelled the loan!

I don’t know the law that well, I don’t pretend to.

I know they do and I know no one can or will prove their documents are wrong.

What I do know is that if you were given a loan you know you shouldn’t have been,

were told wrong facts,

not told the full facts then YOU are right and they are wrong,

but this is not pretending to wade through their paperwork picking up on what you think is non legally binding text.

Its about proving they didn’t give you the full picture!

Edited by boocoo