Debt Collectors - what are my rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm new here and reading through all the forums it seems there's loads of stuff I just thought I had to put up with in life that perhaps I dont.

So my question about the Debt people is this - my ex has had an unfortunate run of luck in the last year and although he's getting back on his feet now he's had a number of DCA/Bailiffs chasing him. Unfortuneatley some of these people don't realise that he's moved to a different house and are chasing him here.

One lot recently turned up on the doorstep (while I was out) and when I called the woman said that they were allowed to take my stuff as I was his wife - that was over a stupid parking ticket that he thought he'd disputed and that had been accepted.

I think the latest bunch are after an overdraft - I've told them he doesn't live here, they said they'd take the address off but they're still sending letters.

What advice should I give him about dealing with these people (my guess now is that some of these possibly have no right to reclaim)?

What are my rights as we're still married although seperated?

As I say, I'm new to all this and hadn't realised until this week how much we all just sit there and take it with just a whimper and how much they get away with as a result....

if the debt is in his name then they have no right to chase you, if you get letters addressed to him just send them back with not at this address all over them, if they call tell them that it is harrassment after ou have repeatedly told them he does not live there.

if they persist write and demand their complaints procedure

if they turn up at your door without an invite they are tresspassing tell them that if they do not leave within 10 seconds you will call the police

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

Firstly stop panicking, you are in the right place for advice and guidance here.

There are 2 seperate issues here the first one is the baliff threatning you for a parking ticket. He cannot take your stuff as it is your husbands debt

The second issue with regards the overdraft tell the pond life who knocked on your door to P*ss off as he has no rights whatsover