Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • The Chinese-owned app is tying up with Shopify to create video ads and hiring thousands of engineers. View the full article
    • Hi Everyone, hope you are all keeping well in this strange new era.   On the 17th Sept, my friend booked a delivery to send a parcel to the USA, a vintage sewing machine. The collection and delivery was booked through MyParcelDeliver.Com, and UPS was the chosen courier. They collected it about four days later.   He paid for additional insurance along with the transportation of the item, to the tune of £128.75.   He packaged the parcel very well, packed with bubble wrap and paper and also styrofoam so that the sewing machine was safe in the box. He placed some plastic wrap over this, and he then sealed the box with tape. He videoed this for the buyer, so she could see how well he had packed the item because they were both concerned about the package being well protected.   The item arrived in the USA a few days later. The buyer instantly notified my friend that the parcel packaging was damaged, showing stress from water and general mishandling, and the item was also damaged in various parts, mainly the casing and the base.   He complained to MyParcelDelivery.Com on the1st October, they responded with 'You need to contact UPS...', which he did and also the buyer contacted them and got a response on the 2nd October.   UPS informed the buyer they would like to come and take a look at the packaging and the item, and this is the last she heard from them, she has called them several times, and always they say someone will call tomorrow and no one calls. She called my friend to ask if he could call them too and chase them up, he is Italian, and though he speaks English generally well, he asked me to talk with them on his behalf because he felt they were not listening to him or that he was missing something.   I spoke with them on the 26th October, they said they had sent my friend an email about this, we checked all of his emails, junk/spam too. There is nothing in there, I asked them to resend it, but nothing has appeared despite them saying they have sent it, we know they have the correct email address because they sent a message on the 2nd confirming they are looking into the claim of a damaged package, they also said they were planning on calling the seller 'again' on the 27th, which of course never happened, which she confirmed with me on the evening of the 27th.   Now it would seem to me that MyParcelDelivery is trying to say it has nothing to do with them, despite the booking being made through them, UPS US are pretending they are doing something but have so far done nothing, and we have heard Zilch from UPS UK.   I would like, if possible, some guidance on how to go about getting this resolved because this is just not right, the agent/courier have had their money, but the seller and buyer have been the victims of poor service and damaged goods.   If anyone could point us in the right direction on how to tackle this and get some redress for this, then I would be most grateful.   Thanks and kind regards   Mr B                 pox.pdf
    • From December, NS&I is phasing out posting warrants - a type of cheque - to winners. It instead wants bondholders to provide bank details so it can pay the money into their account. View the full article
  • Our picks

    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.
      We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.
      After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.
      It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.
      A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?
      After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.
      The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 
      You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.
        • Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.
      I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.
      As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.
      If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.
      They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.
      If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.
      The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.
      They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.
      Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks
        • Like

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4111 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I have a bit of a complicated one here so I will try to explain as best I can.


About 10 years ago my parent bought a car on finance which I think was worth about £10k so adding the interest and whatnot it would be a bit more.


A few years after getting it, they hit hard times and couldn't afford to pay all of their bills. The car was repossessed and sold at auction but the amount outstanding after selling it was about £5 1/2k. The debt was later sold to a collection company and last year they were taken to court. The collection company won and were granted potential interest for 4 years on the outstanding sum. My math is good but I don't understand how they work it out, but the debt went from £5 1/2k to £27k with £180 interest to be paid each month.


A charge has been put on the house which they currently have a £100k interest only mortgage. The house is in negative equity right now but even if it wasn't, because of the charge, they have been told they can not re-mortgage unless they can get enough to pay it off. They have been told they can not even sell the house unless they can get enough to cover the mortgage and the charge


The thing is, the house is in both their names, but the debt is in my fathers name only.


He was recently made redundant so is on JSA and looking for work. My mother works 70+hours a week to be able to pay bills and with the £180 interest on the charge, they can not see any way of clearing the charge.


My question is, does anyone know any way of sorting the whole mess out? £27k for a car which wasn't even worth half that when new is horrendous and the interest on the charge is hurting causing problems with other bills, never mind actually paying any of the debt off.


My fathers credit file is shot to crap anyway so he will never again be able to get a loan or a mortgage. My mother is looking at ways of trying to sort out the debt but none of us are legal experts. CAB were useless and just said she has no other option but to pay the debt. Recently she has been considering stopping payments on the mortgage, letting the house get repossessed, and my father claiming bankrupcy. They are both 50 years old btw.


Can anyone suggest anything?



Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Trevormax,


More expert opinion and advice I am sure will follow at a more sensible hour but two pence worth for starters (in no way based on any expertise!):


  • Was the whole process around the charging order carried out correctly? I do not begin to say that I understand this area but seems to me in most cases this is the starting point to try and sort
  • In pursuing the first point I would think a SAR (subject access request) to one or possibly both companies (original firm and debt purchaser) are probably going to be needed.
  • It should allow you to see charges, fees etc (It sounds like a lot of the balance could be made up of these) and the with advice from the experts on the site consider pursuing for recovery of these and other costs
  • If the above does not work might be worth specific advice around your father disposing of his beneficial interest by selling it to your mother (I think something similar can often be possible in Bankruptcy where the debts are heavily waited to one partner). Given that the house is in negative equity at the moment this might be worth a look. It does seem quite drastic but wonder if it might then allow the charging order to be challenged more effectively?

Does seem complicated and this is only a friendly attempt at some constructive thoughts. The more knowledgeable will help you plot a course through this - one thing I am learning on here is that there is almost always a way to resolve these things at least partially in the direction that you want!


Best of luck

MJC 007.5 :cool:


Advice or opinions offered by mjc 007.5 are personal, offered in good faith and without prejudice or liability. Your decisions and actions are your own and should you be in any doubt then please seek the opinion of a fully qualified and insured professional


:) If you think I have helped you please feel free to click on my scales :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

something very wrong, cannot see how they are paying that much interest on a 5k debt.


as mjc has advised I would send a sar to whoever 'won' the charge and if differernt to the original lender.


Do you have a any documents from the court about the original ccj or charge?


Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.


Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Link to post
Share on other sites

who was the car finance from, Welcome?


5.5k to 27k thats a 400% increase




Getting There Slowly



Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting thread,few comments to make, The collection company won and were granted potential interest for 4 years on the outstanding sum. My math is good but I don't understand how they work it out, but the debt went from £5 1/2k to £27k with £180 interest to be paid each month.

COMMENT ONE--Dick Turpin at least wore a mask.As said SAR or similar.

A charge has been put on the house which they currently have a £100k interest only mortgage. The house is in negative equity right now COMMENT TWO,Is the mortgage a subprime mortgage,negative equity,painful,how much negative equity do you think there is.

The thing is, the house is in both their names, but the debt is in my fathers name only.COMMENT THREE-Charge made on house when sold or repossessed, shortfall as i read things would be large,which sooner or later they would be chased for. He was recently made redundant so is on JSA and looking for work. My mother works 70+hours a week to be able to pay bills and with the £180 interest on the charge, they can not see any way of clearing the charge.COMMENT FOUR.Father JSA at moment 50ish,mother 50ish 70 hrs plus work a week,i am full of admiraton for your mum,but worried slightly,tiredness and worry not a good mix.

My fathers credit file is shot to crap anyway so he will never again be able to get a loan or a mortgage. My mother is looking at ways of trying to sort out the debt but none of us are legal experts. COMMENT FIVE--Credit file shot to bits,50ish,i understand fully,,not legal experts ,thats why you went to CAB,who you feel werent helpful,or advice given ,kind of pay it or other option might happen,I will mention that shortly. Maybe try Free Debt Management Plans, Free IVA Debt Advice and Free Debt Help | Debt Advice | Payplan Recently she has been considering stopping payments on the mortgage, letting the house get repossessed, and my father claiming bankrupcy. They are both 50 years old btw.COMMENT FIVE-Mothers idea,considering anyway,this is how i see things that way,1-Stop paying mortgage and interest and all debts,2-Maybe 4-5-6 months house repossessed,creating shortfall you both will be chased for.During time before repossession you save money for deposit on house to rent and bankruptcy fee.You both go bankrupt,finishing the trouble and worry you are obviously going through,link to bankruptcy here- http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/ and your parents have some precious time together,just a different outlook on things.I hope you dont mind best wishes Tawnyowl.

Edited by tawnyowl
Link to post
Share on other sites


Would not do anything hasty here. As above stated first obtain the Subject Data Access Reports from both the original lender and the company who now has rights to the loan. I know the law is quite often an ass but I find it hard to believe that a loan could rise to that amount and be legal.

To request the Subject Access Report letter template go to the library and copy the letter. Send all correspondence by recorded delivery. They have 40 days to send you the SAR information. What is the name of the two company sharks involved.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, lots of good advice from you guys, thanks for the help.


Think the first thing I will get them to do is send a SAR letter as suggested.


@ PGH7447 - I think the original company was Car Craft (their first mistake). I think it was sub-prime finance used so high interest rate. Like I said, my math is good and to arrive at the £27k figure, they would have to apply interest to the interest from the previous year. So its like year 1 say 40% of 5.5k, then year 2 is 40% of that figure etc. I am shocked something like this could be allowed to be honest. No doubt other costs were added to the final figure such as court costs and fee's.


@ IdaInFife - Apparently, when the charge was applied, the maximum of 8% interest on the total amount owed was applied (27,000 * 8% / 12 = £180/month)


@ Tawnyowl - I think it is a sub-prime mortgage. The mortgage is aroung £100k and recently houses around here have been going for about £90- 95k at most. There is 15 years left on the mortgage. I think if the house were to be re-possessed, the mortgage company would get the first dibs on whatever is made from it. If there is not enough to cover the charge, someone told me the debt would be set against my father again.


A debt management company would normally be a good idea, but from what my mother has told me, she has been with one and they messed up her payments on the £5.5k debt causing it to go to court in the first place. I will suggest she look into this again though or seing if they qualify for an IVA.


Your idea of saving the money she would have otherwise paid to the mortgage and interest on the charge is basically what my mother was thinking. For 6 months, that would amount to just over £4k. She has looked at rent prices in the area and can get a place for around £400/month (plus bills on top).


Considering their age and their potential combined income and monthly outgoings, unless there is some type of (reallistic) payment pland or deal that can be worked out, the repossession and bankruptcy route seems like the only way out. My parents would rather avoid bankruptcy but if your stuck in this type of situation, whats a person to do.


@ boss lady - indeed, I have warned my parents not to rush into anything or they could end up with even more debt. In fact I was wondering if anyone knows what will happen if the house is repossessed, and the mortgage company are unable to sell it at a price which would cover the mortgage? Would the remaining amount still be payable? This is one thing I fear could happen resulting in the charge and remaining amount on the mortgage still to pay.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thought i would say my house was repossessed in november ,shortfall 30k and charging orders and debts.Went bankrupt in May,both me and my wife,moved into flat short term and have just moved into house rented,We are both in our 50s.Official receiver tells me we will poss be getting early discharge in october.And all debts gone.Not trying to influence you one way or another,just related slightly to your mum and dads worrys.Best wishes Tawnyowl.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You say your fathers credit file is shot ,has he any debts or is the car the only one.I dont really know if you can vary a charging order but found this,perhaps someone can advise.f your circumstances have changed since the County Court Judgment (CCJ) was issued and, for example, your income has been reduced, you may apply to the court to have your current financial situation reviewed and a variation made by completing Form N245.Im not sure on this.Tawnyowl.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Tawnyowl, some good advice and info from you there. When my father was made redundant, he got a £7k redundancy package which he and my mother used to pay off a large chunk of their debts. I think at this time, they have only the charge, the mortgage and a couple other debts (around £5k worth) which they are making regular payments for.


From what you have described with when you went bankrupt, it seems very much like my parents situation. My mother was hoping it would just be my father going bankrupt but seeing as how there will probably be a shortfall oin the mortgage, it would seem she may have to also.


With the form N245 you have suggested, my fathers income has reduced from about £18/annum to £3,380 (JSA), so def worth a look I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think with filling in form N245 (or N244 to get the whole charge set aside due to various points) you are on the right tracks. It sounds like Carcraft may also have illegally repossessed the car, in which case your parents could be in for a lump sum from them - but don't hold your breath on that one. If they had paid more than 1/3 of the cars value at the time of repossession then Carcraft need to be taken back to court and hammered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...