How to complain about Debt management

colin2504
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am having problems with debt management who are acting on behalf of DWP , they are saying I owe them money from JSA claim from 1999-2000, I have no recollection of this so I sent them the CCA letter which they ignored and I keep getting letters stating they are taking me to court. I then sent a letter back (all recorded delivery) saying I need more information they then sent me a letter and added it was about a recruitment company I apparently was working for (I have tried to contact company but doesn't exist neither ) I then sent them another letter since there reply was taking me to court yet again. I sent the letter stating this is now harrassment and as it states on there website they can't apply to the court so good luck basically. I then ring them as I get another court letter and that it will incur costs. I ring the DWP and speak to an operator who informs me they don't have to stick to guidlines and also the computer automatically generate these letters and that I MUST PAY UP. Well after countless letters I GIVE UP and contacted NationalDebtline who informed me this is a tactic they always use, and in fact if I wanted I could ignore all letter and even send one back YOUR GETTING NOTHING. I know it's not the point but they have advised me to make a complaint to the financial ombudsman and also DWP and Debt Management. Does anyone else have any Ideas on this ???? Please Help ?????

Whilst they cannot take you to court for it if 6 years have passed since the final decision and with no acknowledgment of the debt, they can recover it by making deductions from any furture benefit payments you receive.

You can't complain to the Financial Ombudsman about the DWP. The financial ombudsman doesn't cover complaints about them. (Debt management based in Salford don't act on behalf of DWP - they are a part of DWP). If you complain to the financial ombudsman about the DWP, you will simply receive a response stating that they cannot help you. You can however complain if it is a debt collection agency who are chasing the debt on behalf of DWP - debt management often pass it on to a debt collection agency.

If it is DWP debt management who are currently pursuing you, you can complain to the parlimentary ombudsman via your MP but only once you have exhausted their internal complaints procedure:

complain to the debt centre manager to the address on the letters they are sending you

If it is not resolved, complain to the head of debt management

If it is still not resolved, you complain to the independant case examiner,

And finally if it is still not resolved, you go to your MP who will submit a complaint on your behalf to the parlimentary ombudsman.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

No my point was that I have never signed on either. The National Debtline advised for me to contact Financial Ombudsman. Oh well will have to write to the debt Managment pain in the backside company at Debt Managment (SF) and see what happens, but they can't find the last letter which is recorded delivery.

You don't need to have signed on to have a Social Fund Crisis Loan. They are not dependant on benefits like other aspects of Social Fund.

Recorded delivery is a waste of time, it's not sent directly to the address on the envelope, it is sent to a "mail opening unit" and signed for there. Recorded delivery is also not guaranteed.

Send it FAO DEBT CENTRE MANAGER (at the address on the envelope - if you have a name for the debt centre manager - even better) and mark the word "RESTRICTED" clearly on the envelope in big bold letters.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Of course they'll tell you that. They'll tell you anything if they think you're daft enough to be duped into a payment plan. They need far more evidence than a national insurance number. Debt Management are notorious for being heavy handed.

Follow the complaints procedure above