Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • 3 threads merged please keep to one thread.   forget the calendar section of a credit - no-one bar the original creditor and the person can see that   its the summary status line the any potential lender will only see.   so as it stands, she as 1 or 2 in the calendar section which, correctly shows she was either late with the required payment for that month or short paid what should have been.   although these will effect here potential 'score'. as said above only the lender and her can see them
    • I haven't had a chance to read through his contract yet but he is insisting that it says of he leaves his position within 2 years he will have to pay back his course fees. I will read it properly though and get back to you  Thanks for your help so far 
    • Hi all,   New to the forum, so please feel free to move the topic if needed.   I need a little help with a used car: I bought an 04 BMW from a dealer about 2.5 weeks ago. It cost £1,600. I gave it a test drive and it seemed pretty decent so paid via bank transfer and took it home. The issue started when I took it on a national speed limit road as the car started to sway on the road. I reported this to the dealer and he agreed to fix the issue. He took it to his mechanic who informed him that it was the drivers side hub. They didn't have time to fit it so gave me the part and the option to use a local mechanic. The mechanic agreed it would be causing the sway, charged me £80, which the dealer refunded to me.  The car was improved but we went on a short break over the last few days and I drove the car about 35 miles away. The issue now is there is a rumbling sound, noticeable on motorways and it doesn't feel particularly safe, especially over deviations in the road. As the swaying was the main issue I can't say if that rumbling was there to begin with.   The dealer has been fair to me so far in refunding me the money but he did admit he only test drove the car and it wasn't checked over fully when I took it back the first time. My mechanic said the play on hub was so bad it should never have been sold in that condition. I have messaged the dealer this evening explaining the issue but he has been a bit defensive saying the car does not have a warranty and he has already spent money on repairing it. He will need to speak to his manager and get back to me. To be fair to him he has attempted to repair it but for me he should never have sold it without it being mechanically checked over.  What do people make of this? What are my options if he won't budge and I need to take it further. I would like a refund rather than another repair as I feel I have been pretty patient so far. At the moment I have a car that isn't safe and I can't afford to take a £1,600 hit in my pocket.   Many thanks,   Mark.  
    • I have threads elsewhere re a repayment plan (6 months) with Barclays Mortgages during a maternity leave. Arrears now paid, trying to re-mortgage but with great difficulty. Not really advised of dire consequences of this decision, trying to get SAR info but no luck with telephone recordings as yet. Complaint handler appear sympathetic but who knows to what extent. Looked at Which website and they mentioned a Goodwill Adjustment letter which I have never heard of. Intention of this thread was to see if anybody had used this to remove bad markers from their credit files.
  • Our picks

    • Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies

Rubbish Solicitor - compensation?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4033 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts



I hope someone can help with a wee query - although it is a long story!


At the end of last year I bought and sold my house through a solicitor reccommended by my estate agent. He charged £1000 plus vat. He wasn't very good as I had to phone every couple of weeks for updates, then he would send me a letter the next day. I even had to contact him to check the sale/purchase had gone through as he didn't phone me on the day. Anyway, I moved at last.


It was all completed then 13 days later I received a letter from him with 2 lines.


'We enclose copy letter from Northern Rock. Please arrange to send them a cheque to cover the balance.'


Attached was a fax he had received from NR saying that the settlement for the mortgage was £866.80 short.


I phoned the solicitor and asked for a redemption statement as he had not given me a copy. He sent it 7 days later. It clearly showed that the amount he had repaid was for a date 3 weeks after the closing date. It also clearly listed any adjustments that should be made if paying on a different date. He had not taken any of these into account.


I had received money after the move but not a huge amount, and had already used it to pay for things and towards a debt (not that this is relevant to the issue with the solicitor).


I sent him a letter saying I was unhappy that I had not received the service which I had paid for, and that his letter about the shortfall was unprofessional. It should have included an explanantion and apology at least.


He did not respond. I recently sent him another letter as I have decided not to let it drop. He said that he did not get my previous letter but had received this one. Then he says 'We apologise for any inconvenience caused to you'. That's it!


I want to pursue this further. Do I give him a chance to compensate me for the service he charged for but did not provide? Do I go straight to the LSS? What sort of compensation would be fair? Am I wasting my time? I am annoyed that a solicitor can't work out a redemption figure and doesn't think the error is anything to do with him.


Sorry it's so long, thanks for reading! Any advice is gratefully received.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to register you complaint with the Law Society (or LS of Scotland) if a Scottish Solicitor. Full info 'How to Complain' is on their website.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I presume you have paid or he has taken his fee? no chance of withholding anything?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your replies.


Unfortunately he took his fee before giving me the balance.


I will start a complaint with the LSS, and see what happens.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...