Rubbish Solicitor - compensation?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5388 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I hope someone can help with a wee query - although it is a long story!

At the end of last year I bought and sold my house through a solicitor reccommended by my estate agent. He charged £1000 plus vat. He wasn't very good as I had to phone every couple of weeks for updates, then he would send me a letter the next day. I even had to contact him to check the sale/purchase had gone through as he didn't phone me on the day. Anyway, I moved at last.

It was all completed then 13 days later I received a letter from him with 2 lines.

'We enclose copy letter from Northern Rock. Please arrange to send them a cheque to cover the balance.'

Attached was a fax he had received from NR saying that the settlement for the mortgage was £866.80 short.

I phoned the solicitor and asked for a redemption statement as he had not given me a copy. He sent it 7 days later. It clearly showed that the amount he had repaid was for a date 3 weeks after the closing date. It also clearly listed any adjustments that should be made if paying on a different date. He had not taken any of these into account.

I had received money after the move but not a huge amount, and had already used it to pay for things and towards a debt (not that this is relevant to the issue with the solicitor).

I sent him a letter saying I was unhappy that I had not received the service which I had paid for, and that his letter about the shortfall was unprofessional. It should have included an explanantion and apology at least.

He did not respond. I recently sent him another letter as I have decided not to let it drop. He said that he did not get my previous letter but had received this one. Then he says 'We apologise for any inconvenience caused to you'. That's it!

I want to pursue this further. Do I give him a chance to compensate me for the service he charged for but did not provide? Do I go straight to the LSS? What sort of compensation would be fair? Am I wasting my time? I am annoyed that a solicitor can't work out a redemption figure and doesn't think the error is anything to do with him.

Sorry it's so long, thanks for reading! Any advice is gratefully received.