Anyone live in a static caravan / beach hut thing?

gyzmo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Seeing as I can't get a mortgage for a shoebox house, I'd have to wait about 20 years to get "social" housing, I've been checking a few property websites and there seems to be rather cheap, spacious and quiet properties around.

And I'm thinking I wouldn't mind living in one - a couple of them are near on the beach or in the country which would be ideal for me.

But I'm worried about any problems. Are they OK to insure - I know they are not standard construction. What about faciities - gas, leccy etc. It seems to good to be true.

Are they?

If it seems to good to be true it probably is.

I keep my eye on cheaper properties that come on the market (even though i have no hope of buying one) and when you look into matter closely (usually to do with the area) you'll often find that Bagdad is a more peaceful location to move to!

Insurance could be a problem for non standard construction also getting a mortgage or a loan, even a small one, is hard enough when it's bricks and mortar let alone a pre-fab or caravan.

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

I think i read if you put your caravan on land permanently you'll need planning permission and all that too.

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

Being on a site is dodgy, I lived in one some years ago and you are basically 'squatting' on their land and are treated as such. You will be charged for every little thing possible and find it nigh on impossible to sell to anyone other than the site owner. I don't believe the law on 'static vans' has changed since 1974 in that aspect.

One thing you would need to establish is whether the plot has planning permission. You'll be surprised how many companies advertising these homes forget to publicise the fact that without the appropriate pp you will only legally be entitled to live in the caravan for something like 9 months in any one year.

And as Sillygirl says you do become beholden to the site owner for plot fees, maintenance charges, service charges, overpriced gas and electricity etc. etc. be very careful before you purchase.

You have the right to food money.

If you don't mind a little investigation, humiliation, and if you cross your fingers rehabilitation..............

OK, I think I'll skip that.

Been looking at these Homeby, FTBI and Newbuild schemes and I'm totally lost. They're going on about needing a deposit (several thousand) yet the idea is to be able to help people with little money? Daft.

Looks like I'm renting, then...

Check out the cost of gas bottles (usually only throught the site), pitch fees, sale fees (they can take a cut of sale), etc. Also some sites are only 9 or 10 months a year. You have to find somewhere else to live and still pay the fees.

Other than that, my partners daughters 2008 caravan (3 bedroom) lovely, could be up for sale - Essex, right on the bay of the estuary, lovely in summer, lovely way of living in luxury...

Regards

John

Hi Gyzmo

I have recently bought a new build flat through HOMEBUY so if you want any advise to the process or rough idea of cost etc let me know.

Just as the heads up most HOMEBUY schemes only require a payment of around £500 which is the reservation fee, basically once that is paid they take the property off the market.

i recently bought a 40% share in a new build flat and only money i needed was the £500 reservation fee, 5% deposit for the part i was buying so it was 5% of the 40% if that makes sense and then money to cover your legal fees etc which were around £800. (Halifax did inform me that it was still possible to get a 100% for some HOMEBUY schemes)

HOMEBUY reccommend you have around £3500 which would be enough for all the above etc.

Regards

Dan

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal Experiences/Mistakes lol...

HOMEBUY reccommend you have around £3500 which would be enough for all the above etc.

:eek::eek::eek:HOW MUCH!?!?! Haven't even got £350! I thought the operative word is "affordable"

I don't get all this stuff. My flatmate is currently paying about £300 a month rent. I could add £400 to that - £700 in total.

Can I get a mortgage? No. And the rent on some places is more than you would pay on a mortgage so I'm not doing that.

The whole thing is stupid if you ask me. Think I'll just buy a car and live in it.

Its affordable for first time buyers as i believe that is the market they are going for. £3,500 deposit or £15,000 + deposit to buy a place as a first time buyer. I know which one i would rather.

Also the mortgage i have is quite small and the bank had no issue giving it to me, i didnt think i would get it but it was a breeze to be fair. Take a mortgage promise or online check to get an idea of what you can get etc,

They also do renting schemes and as i stated my mortgage is based on a 40 % share that i bought, they have shares form a little as 25% and there is also schemes that give you an interest free loan for up to 10 years/ when you sell whichever is sooner to help bridge that gap.

But shared ownership will still require you to get a mortgage of some sorts so if you cant get any mortgage then i doubt any of the schemes they do would be of any use.

d on a 40 % share that i bought, they have shares form a little as 25% and there is also schemes that give you an interest free loan for up to 10 years/ when you sell whichever is sooner to help bridge that gap.

But shared ownership will still require you to get a mortgage of some sorts so if you cant get any mortgage then i doubt any of the schemes they do would be of any use.

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal Experiences/Mistakes lol...

Well, I'm getting a credit check done (waiting for a PIN coz experian couldn't confirm my identity?) and my flatmates credit rating, I believe, is well and truly f***ed thanks to LTSB - something I am still trying to get sorted.

If I can get all of that cleared I might be able to get a mortgage.