• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

JW v HSBC Loan PPI

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3659 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to all in the PPI forum.

I took a loan out with HSBC back in October 2006. At that time I was not working as I was at home with the kids. On rummaging through my paperwork I discovered the original loan agreement which states that I have 'Personal Loan Protection Plan'.

Total amount Borrowed - £7000.00

Loan Protection Plan - £1480.00

Monthly repayment - £166.70 for 60 months.

My question is, I am now in part time employment (working 21 hours per week), and have been since February 2007. Can I claim back the protection plan as it states that it is only for people that work 16+ hours per week (of which I was not)? If I can claim back the protection plan, do I just claim for the part I was unemployed or can I go for the whole lot?

Thanking you in advance

Jo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Hello to all in the PPI forum.

I took a loan out with HSBC back in October 2006. At that time I was not working as I was at home with the kids. On rummaging through my paperwork I discovered the original loan agreement which states that I have 'Personal Loan Protection Plan'.

Total amount Borrowed - £7000.00

Loan Protection Plan - £1480.00

Monthly repayment - £166.70 for 60 months.

My question is, I am now in part time employment (working 21 hours per week), and have been since February 2007. Can I claim back the protection plan as it states that it is only for people that work 16+ hours per week (of which I was not)? If I can claim back the protection plan, do I just claim for the part I was unemployed or can I go for the whole lot?

Thanking you in advance

Jo

As the PPI was added when you were not employed it is doubtful the PPI would cover you. Therefore it would be mis-sold IMO.

Is the loan still active with the PPI attached?

If it is the loan will have about 24 months or so still to run. If that is the case I would suggest you cancel the PPI get a refund and then claim 36 months worth of monthly PPI premium repayments plus the interest.

If you do cancel PPI cover ensure you take out alternative PPI cover more cheaply elsewhere.

Do a google on moneysavingexpert his website will have insurance links for loan cover but again make sure you have no reasons for the insurance to be excluded. Please have a look in the stickies at the top of the forum.

Here are two links to get you started....

PPI - Some Notes for Claimants..

Mis-sold PPI? Want your money back? use these links to help

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

I Have done a draft of a letter to HSBC, just in case I can possibly claim. Can anyone check it for me please?

I believe I have been mis-sold a payment protection insurance policy and would like to request a full refund of my premiums, plus interest paid.

I took out a £7,000.00 loan at your xxxxxxxxxxxxx Branch on 10th August 2006 and also bought a payment protection policy which would cost me an extra £1480.00 over the life of the loan. The total amount of my premiums plus interest is £1,745.70.

I was unemployed and therefore would not be eligible for any payments from the PPI if I find myself unable to meet my debt repayments.

Your salesperson did not check my personal circumstances at the time of sale, which they are under obligation to do. If they had done, they would have realised that a PPI policy was useless to me. It was taken that as my Husband was working, although he was and still is self-employed, I would be covered should he become unemployed.

Insurers are under an obligation to ensure that the policy they are selling is appropriate to that customer and clearly, as my employment situation means I am unable to claim on the policy, you have not fulfilled this requirement.

I am requesting a full refund of all my insurance payments, plus interest, which total £1,745.70.

If I do not receive a favourable response from you I will pursue this claim through the Financial Ombudsman.

Yours sincerely

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

Thanks Alan,

Yes the loan is till running. I will get on the phone right now and see if I can cancel the policy.

Do not be to hasty. Get an alternative cover first as HSBC will still want the payments if your circumstances change :eek:

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

further to my last post. You should be able to cancel as the policy was of no benefit to you at the point of sale.

You could also send a Subject Access Request to gather all the data available.

I will respond later to your letter. It may be worth leaving the PPI running with HSBC and just ask for the full amount to be refunded thereby cancelling the mis-sold PPI.

Post me a reminder if I forget :D

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Just a point , jo - if the loan is still running - they'll probably want you to take out a re-structured Loan (without the PPI) - but watch that they don't re-structure it so that the repayments are higher - thus recouping some of their ill-gotten gains ........ :rolleyes:

They've done this with others else recently , but I can't remember who they were ........ aa might remember ........ :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Hiya Dukey. They do want to restructure the loan but as I haven't been a very good customer with them over the past few years, they would not be willing to do that at this time. Catch 22 situation really.

Maybe to your advantage then , jo - just hit 'em with the PPI claim... but be guided by aa - he knows more than I do about this subject :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Sent the SAR + £10 yesterday. Just have to wait and see what they produce now.

Now you just have to be patient ,jo - which will be a piece of (victoria sponge) cake for you , eh ? :rolleyes: LOL!

Nemo me impune lacessit

I hope you get a faster response than I am having.

I am just waiting for proof from royal mail that the postal order has been cashed. I know it was paid into the HSBC coffers on the 27 May but I want to send the proof with a damning letter before action. 22 may they got the SAR but the delaying tactics are becoming quite astonishing.:eek:

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Patience is my middle name Dukey ;)

Patience is my middle name Dukey ;)

I think you told me that before Jo ..... :rolleyes: and I didn't believe it then either ...............lol! :lol:

Nemo me impune lacessit

You have to have patience in this house what with 3 kids and a heroic dog. :)

I hope you get a faster response than I am having.

I am just waiting for proof from royal mail that the postal order has been cashed. I know it was paid into the HSBC coffers on the 27 May but I want to send the proof with a damning letter before action. 22 may they got the SAR but the delaying tactics are becoming quite astonishing.:eek:

I have my eye on my other bank account waiting with bated breath for the chq to clear.

Delaying with things is the HSBC motto from past experience with them.

I am seriously considering popping into the local branch to ask the manager what he did with the photocopies of my passport and driving licence as no one seems to know about it and show him the letters that have been arriving. May just get his attention if there are a few people waiting to be seen :D

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Well I am impressed with the speediness of their response to my SAR.

Unfortunately they have just sent me a form to complete :(

Dear jowalshy,

Thank you for your letter dated 22nd July 2009.

I can confirm that our Service Centre is in the process of actioning your request in relation to any charges and interest that may have been applied to your account by providing you with either copy statements or a report detailing charges. This is being provided free of charge.

Should you have any queries regarding the receipt of these statements, please contact the Service Quality Team on 0800 88 11 55 or email [email protected].

This information should enable you to request a refund of default charges. However, if you require any further information about your banking relationship with us, please provide me with the full detials by completing the attached form, and return to this office.

yours sincerely

Assistant Manager, Data Privacy compliance.

The info they want is :-

My full name - ok

full address - ok

daytime telephone number - Not giving them that

A HSBC branch where I can pick the bits and bobs up - ok

The reason for request - why?

I also have to send a cheque for £10 - already sent with original letter.

They also want my signature - wasn't the signature on my original letter enough???? (I did put a line through it though)

This is time-wasting at it's best jo :mad: - of course I don't have to tell you that - they're doing it all the time on the banking sites .....

You know what they have to provide , and if they've got your £10 (whether or not they've cashed it , ) then they've got 40 days from then to cough up .......... or be reported to the ICO for non-compliance .

The reason for the request has got nowt to do with them - they're only required to comply by producing everything they have on you with your name on it .....

(this advice is mainly for the benefit of newmembers jo - I'm not going to try teaching my granny to suck eggs :plol! ) :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

I know. Stall.................stall......................stall...........

I will fill out the form and attach a copy of the original letter for them, reminding them of the clock ticking.

As for the reason why I am doing the request? Well I do not think it is of any concern to them. Their reason for asking is to see whether they will give the info for free or not. I have sent them a cheque for £10 therefore showing willing to pay.

Well I am impressed with the speediness of their response to my SAR.

Unfortunately they have just sent me a form to complete :(

Dear jowalshy,

Thank you for your letter dated 22nd July 2009.

I can confirm that our Service Centre is in the process of actioning your request in relation to any charges and interest that may have been applied to your account by providing you with either copy statements or a report detailing charges. This is being provided free of charge.

Should you have any queries regarding the receipt of these statements, please contact the Service Quality Team on 0800 88 11 55 or email [email protected].

This information should enable you to request a refund of default charges. However, if you require any further information about your banking relationship with us, please provide me with the full detials by completing the attached form, and return to this office.

yours sincerely

Assistant Manager, Data Privacy compliance.

The info they want is :-

My full name - ok

full address - ok

daytime telephone number - Not giving them that

A HSBC branch where I can pick the bits and bobs up - ok

The reason for request - why?

I also have to send a cheque for £10 - already sent with original letter.

They also want my signature - wasn't the signature on my original letter enough???? (I did put a line through it though)

This is my fight with HSBC.

alanalana v HSBC (It started well)

Much the same situation. It is obviously a new delaying tactic and my complaint to the Information Commissioners Office is ready to go.

I will edit and copy and paste my response to them.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

This is my response to HSBC :D

Mr alanalana

address

Mrs ,

Assistant Manager,

Data Privacy Compliance,

HSBC Bank plc,

UK Data Protection Compliance,

Griffin House,

2-01,

41 Silver Street Head,

Sheffield,

S1 3GG

24 July 2009

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Data Protection Act 1998 - Subject Access Request

Dear Mrs ,

Thank you for your letter dated 17 July 2009.

Firstly I do not accept your apologies for not confirming receipt of the Data Subject Access Request as this request was sent by Royal Mail First Class Recorded Delivery and I have the proof that the Subject Access Request together with the statutory fee in the form of a Postal Order, number xxxxxxxxxx, was delivered to the Brampton branch of the HSBC on 22 May 2009. The postal order was encashed on the 27 May 2009. I enclose proof of encashment as provided in a letter from the Post Office (copy enclosed).

I attended the branch as requested in HSBC letter reference: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx received from HSBC Bank plc, Harry Weston Road, Binley, Coventry, CV3 2TQ (copy enclosed) to provide proof of my identity and an original letter authorising me to act as a third party signatory to my xxxxxx account. (copy enclosed) I actually saw my SAR together with the statutory fee in the form of a Postal Order to the value of £10.00 on the desk of the local branch. I produced a valid driving licence and passport and a photocopy was made in the Brampton branch of HSBC. I must now question the actual right HSBC had to make photocopies of these documents. Viewing the documents should have been sufficient evidence to prove my identity. I mention this in all seriousness in the light of the recent fine imposed on HSBC subsidiaries by the Financial Services Authority for the loss of sensitive customer data.

The branch also insisted on keeping the original copy of the letter xxxxxxxx had signed even though a photocopy had already been provided with the Subject Access Request and the original authorisation had been sent by xxxxxxxx on 30 April 2009 which was acknowledged by HSBC Bank on the 18 May (copy enclosed).

In your letter of 17 July 2009 you state that under the section 7(3) of the Data Protection Act 1998 you require the signature of the account holder on the request.

I quote that section:

“Where a data controller-

(a) reasonably requires further information in order to satisfy himself as to the identity of the person making the request under this section and to locate the information that person seeks, and

(b) has informed him of that requirement,

The data controller is not obliged to comply with the request unless he is supplied with that information.”

The act does not specifically state that the account holders signature must appear on the request for data as you mention in your letter.

In light of all the requirements on identification requested by HSBC to date I strongly believe that your request for further information is not reasonable within the meaning of the act especially as this information has already been provided to the Brampton Branch with the original letter and a further original has been produced upon my attendance at the branch to verify my identity.

The failure by your branch at Brampton notify you of the Subject Access Request and to register the information on proof of identity on HSBC records is a failure by the HSBC and I will shortly be visiting the bank to discuss this matter and to provide them with a copy of this letter.

The fact of the matter is, that xxxxxxx was authorising me to act on his behalf as a third party signatory to his account. That authorisation allowed me to submit the Subject Access Request. I do not consider that you should then require xxxxxxxx signature on the Subject Access Request.

You suggest in you letter that you are unable to provide details of any insurance relating to loan accounts as this data is owned by a separate legal entity to HSBC Bank plc. You further state that I will need to write to the correct data controller at the address below enclosing the £10.00 administration fee ( Presumably the Statutory fee which is due under a request for data in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 a legal statute within Law).

I therefore reiterate my earlier comment, that the statutory fee of £10.00 was submitted to the Brampton branch of the HSBC with the original Subject Access Request dated 20 May 2009.

I therefore believe the obligation to pay the statutory fee for the Subject Access Request under the regulations as prescribed within the Data Protection Act 1998 has been satisfied.

I am extremely disappointed that despite having issued my original Subject Access Request on the 20 May 2009 you still seem to be using delaying tactics in providing the information I am entitled to by Law, within the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998. Under Section 7 sub section (1) ( c ) ( i ) and (ii) you are required to communicate to me in an intelligible form within 40 days, the information as requested within the requirements of the Act section 7 (2) (a) and (b), which as the data subject I have met.

I would point out that the Act allows you 40 days in which to provide the information I have requested. You have failed to meet this timescale by 17 days to the date of your letter, dated 17 July 2009. I have provided all the required information as requested by your establishment. The local branch in Brampton have been provided with a driving licence, passport and an original copy of the authorisation letter allowing me to act as a third party on the account this seems largely to have been ignored up until your letter dated 17 July 2009 received by me 18 July 2009.

As I have followed all the relevant procedures as required under the Data Protection Act 1998 and have also followed the requests by your organisation. I now believe you have failed to comply with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998. I therefore decline your request for further payment of £10.00 as this statutory fee has already been submitted.

I strongly suggest you contact the Brampton branch to ascertain the proof of my identity.

I would as you to comment on your request that a £10.00 administration fee to be sent to the data controller and yet the address given in your letter is the Payment Protection Insurance office and not the Data Controller Protection Compliance address in Sheffield.

As HSBC Bank plc has received payment, I now insist on the immediate provision of all data requested on xxxxxxxxxxx in the original Subject Access Request.

You have obviously failed to meet the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 as is mentioned above and I must now inform you that it is my intention to forward all correspondence so far with a letter to the Information Commissioners Office to raise a very serious formal complaint on your failure to follow the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 and also in the tactics you employ in delaying consumers in asserting their right to obtain information under the Act which is a legal statute within the Law of the United Kingdom.

Yours sincerely

alanalana

So there you go. I only have to attach a covering letter the ICO complaint form is already done and printed ready to go with copies of all letters both ways.

I have had enough now of banks delaying and messing around.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

By heck aa , you don't mess around when someone gets you riled .....:D

That is a brilliant letter , which can be adapted for all sorts of prevarications by the bank -

I'll watch with interest to see what ripples this creates in the financial whirlpool ...... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

I Just like to get the attention of the banks focused so they know I am completely serious about the PPI issue and delaying tactics which are now being employed more and more regularly.

They are basically saying the law of the land does not apply to them and they can use their own timescales which is totally unacceptable IMO.

The ICO, FSA, OFT and even the FOS need stronger powers to be able to take stronger action.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from