Selling Van- How to avoid being ripped off ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I desperately need advise. I am selling a van on E-bay. Seems to have a lot of interest ( watchers ) and I hope to sell for a good cash sum. However, I am not at all worldly minded, how do I avoid the posssibility of being ripped off by who ever wins the bid ?

I don't know a great deal about vehicles and do not drive myself ( the van belonged to someone close who has recently died.) I am nervous about allowing the winning bidder access to the vehicle until the cheque ( which I hope to receive ) is cleared. Is this the right approach ?

Even if I sit in the van next to them whilst they test drive the vehicle, it would be very easy just to push me out the door and drive away without payment.

At what point do I hand over the log-book and keys ? Also will the buyer be put off if I show distrust and ask for money settlement before access to vehicle ? Please someone help with this dilemma ! :(

Don't ask for money before he/she has had a chance to look at the van.

If you're afraid of them taking it, have one of your mates jump in the back while he test drives and don't have tank full of fuel.

Don't give any sort of warranty or guarantee,

If you really know nothing then have someone who does with you or he might/will tell you the clutch is on the way out (or whatever) and try knocking you down.

Cash only or cheque, van must not be released until until the cheque has cleared. That doesn't mean just appeared in your account which it can do before it clears, but the transfer between banks has taken place.

Thank you, Conniff, I will most certainly wait until the cheque is securely processed in the bank before I hand over the keys .

Problem is, I don't really have any mates as such, to help out with the viewing. People I knew are up in London and i'm living far from there now.

I have recently lost the only true friend I ever had. The van belonged to him, so it has deep sentimental value as well as financial.

I have been reading up on other sellers listings. One which caught my attention ( and I have to say, admiration ! ) said something like : " The winning bidder has purchased this vehicle, so don't come round to kick the tyres, or test drive, or haggle. You are bidding to purchase. So pay up front and collect. ( not his exact words, but that was pretty much the gist of it.)

I was wondering about stating the same sort of terms on my listing ? I have been taken for a mug so much in my life, which has led me to the conclusion that a rigid assertive approach is the only way to get by in this dog devour dog world. Wouldn' t you say ?

You would be a fool to be aggressive on your ebay listing. Even though you are using ebay you should consider it no different to placing any other ad for the van. Just as you wouldn't hand over the keys until you had the money, no buyer is going to hand over the money until they have seen the van.

Do not, whatever any prospective buyer tells you, accept payment through Paypal.