What are the principles behind challenging a parking fine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5391 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just found this site - and like so many others have received a Parking Charge Notice from a private company due to me being parked for half a day in the car park of a local (well known) DIY store. There is photographic evidence showing me entering and leaving so I don't dispute the fact that I was there. I'm struggling on 2 counts:

1) There were no signs displayed that showed the parking conditions/charges displayed at the time (I know as I always check carefully) - today the car park is plastered with signs and the store manager insists they were put up about a month before the offence. It is clearly a new arrangement.

2) Is a charge of £95 (£75 for quick payment) unenforceable due to it being punitive rather than a reasonable charge?

Without corroborating evidence to support (1) my defence is weak although I have spoken to the DIY head office and told them I'll be writing in and taking my long-standing trade elsewhwere.

I'm resigned to losing this knowing full well the signs were not in place and that this is a very recently introduced arrangement. Any advice

What are you worrying about? It's an unenforceable charge. It's a mail [problem] - send out letters and a certain percentage of people are ignorant enough to pay.

Your defence is not weak - I could paste an essay about how you don't owe a penny. Charge is indeed punative, otherwise they could just write 'if you park here you agree to pay £10,000', take everyone to court and retire to the Bahamas.

• do not pay

• do not contact the parking co

ignore their threatening junkmail

• they will give up and go away