You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

carlingcan80

Unjust CCJ Issued by Severn Trent... Compensation?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4000 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I'm looking to get some assitance with a situation that has arisen with Severn Trent water. I'll set the scene and then let you know what help I need!

In February 2008, I moved out of Property A. Called Severn Trent to tell them that I was leaving, and that they should close the account, and then gave them the address of Property B where I needed to open a new account with them.

I have been recieving and paying bills for property B no problem, and they've all been pretty fair and reasonable.

This week, however, I've been going through the process of obtaining references and credit checks for a new property I want to move into ASAP and these checks have thrown up an outstanding CCJ in my name (which I was totally unaware of) for nearly £500 for water used at Property A between Feb '08 and Nov '08.

I can prove that I wasn't in Property A for that period and have sent the information to that effect, but am now wondering if I can get any compensation from Severn Trent and how best to do this.

I have had to pay extra to get a guarantor referenced on the new property (as the unjust CCJ prevents me from going forward otherwise) and have spent a good 5-6 hours on the phone to the court, referencing and letting agency and Severn Trent themselves to find out what's going on.

Has anyone had any luck reversing these decisions, and did you get anything back out of Severn as an apology? Also, once the decision is reversed, does the CCJ then disappear from your record, or do you have to take extra steps to do this? If money is involved, presumably I could include that in any compensation?

Obviously I'd like to change water companies, but that's not something you can do like with gas or electric is it?

Any advice/similar situations would be appreciated.

C

Edited by carlingcan80
Missing information/question

Hi

You need to get rid of the CCJ first.

This is done by making application to the court for a 'set aside' - costs £75.00

As you have a defence for the period that you did not live at the property it's well worth going for.

Court will set a date for the hearing and if your defence is upheld - the CCJ will be struck out.

In your defence, might be worth mentioning the financial 'loss' you have incurred because of the CCJ.

Hope this helps : )

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

Were you renting these properties, or do you own them?

Thanks applecart, looks like I'll have to get into the new flat, and then sort it all out afterwards. I'm not a happy bunny!

Zazen - yeah, they're all rental properties

Hi

Hope your move goes well : ) Once your settled in...........

I would check to be sure that they have charged you the correct amount for the period - as £500 from Feb 08 to Nov 08 sounds steep.

OFWAT the regulator; will have published details of all historic rateable values. to help you see : Ofwat::Consumer Issues::Charges and bills::Charges and bills_index

Once you have proof of the tenancies and the OFWAT info - you should be in a strong position to defend your case and claim compensation. It is only of course the Judge that will decide if you get compensation - but you should fight your corner strongly....

Best of luck : 0

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]