You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

typhoon0

NPower Cannot locate misdirected Prepayment meter charges

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4010 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I recieved a letter from a debt collection agency last month stating i owed an amount of £70 to npower from an address i was living at 2 years ago. I had not previously recieved a statement or bill or any indication of an owed debt for almost 2 years of moving address. After making a few phone calls i found that this charge was because Npower had apparently not recieved the payments that were being made to the meter. The original amount was said to be £150 and npower requested scottish power (whom some of the payments had supposedly been directed to) for the balance they recieved during the tenancy period. They refunded npower £80 of the debt (rounded figures), hence why i have been charged the remaining £70.

They have not explained to me Why they haven't recieved the payments for this period, Why they were able to locate some of the payments at scottish power and not the rest of the amount, or The details of my electricity usage during the period of tenancy. They are saying that i have to make the payment unless i can provide reciepts for that period which was in 2007. this is completely unreasonable as it was 2 years ago - why would i keep the reciepts for electricity payments for 2 years especially seeing as i was on a prepayment meter, so assumed i was paying for the electricity as i go.

Npower are unwilling to listen to anything i say, nor are willing to investigate what's happened to this 'lost' amount. I do not understand why it is my fault these payments did not reach npower. Furthermore the debt collection agency have passed it on to another company to collect the balance. I do not know how to go about handling this dispute and who to go to in order to achieve a resolution on the matter.

Guest Old_andrew2018

Can I ask if you have written to N-Power, or only discussed your concern on the telephone.

As the amount outstanding is from over 2 years ago and assuming they have not contacted you in that time, this should, as stated in The Billing Code be cancelled.

The Billing Code

10. What about mistakes

by the supplier?

If your supplier is at fault, and you do not

receive a bill for more than two years, then

from July 2006 any outstanding debt that

relates to energy consumed more than two

years ago will be cancelled. From July 2007,

this will reduce to one year.

Your energy supplier will provide you with

details of how any queries about your bill can

be answered. If you have a complaint against

your supplier then they will provide you with

details of how your complaint will be handled.

If your supplier has been unable to resolve

your complaint, they will provide you with

details of how you can raise your complaint

with the independent Energy Supply

Ombudsman who offers a free service to

customers of energy supply companies.

You must try and resolve your complaint

with your supplier before you are eligible

to seek assistance from the Energy

Supply Ombudsman.

enamae

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi typhoon0,

Good advice from enamae, I think you could escalate your complaint to the energy ombudsman.

To complain however you should have already had a final response from N-power, that's the reason I asked if you had communicated in writing.

This link will lead you the relevant page on their site.

Andy

Thanks for the advice. I have written a letter of complaint to Npower and will send it today. Have you any advice on whom to send it to? I have the address a customer service officer gave me but would prefer it to be send to the place where it'll be handled most efficiently.

Guest Old_andrew2018

I think you should send it to the customer service address, using Royal Mail signed for.

When you get your reply come back with it, although I cant see them doing anything expect removing their charges, IMHO if you were to take the complaint to the energy ombudsman you would be successful.

Andy