Do I have to deal with the DCA?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

Can anyone helps with these questions please?

I have a debt to HSBC which Moorcroft are chasing me for.

Fair enough. I'm not disputing that I owe some money and am happy to agree a payment schedule, but

The amount Moorcroft says I owe seems to be more than the amount mentioned on the last letter from the bank ( perhaps Moorcroft have added charges? )

I've asked Moorcroft to clarify how they calculated the amount due before I agree to start any payments. If they have added charges, do I have to pay the charges?

Can I pay directly to HSBC and by-pass Moorcroft?

What's Moorcroft's standing in the matter anyway?

They haven't provided any proof that they bought the debt.

Should I ask for proof they are the owner of the debt?

And does it matter who I pay anyway, seeing that I agree I owe something.

Moorcroft sent me a payment book and gave me a monthly payment amount that they would accept. Do I have to accept what they suggest as the payment?

In the booklet it says that the payment agreement ( I never agreed anything with them ) can be cancelled or reviewed by them at any time.

Seems dodgy to me. What if they decide to double the monthly payments?

Thanks in anticipation of some clarification on all this

Valhalla

If you are disputing the amount I would not pay or agree to anything until you have your query sorted, I don't think they have to let you know confirmation that they purchased the debt but I would not accept anything until you are happy with te amount that is outstanding. You are correct to ask for confirmation of the amount if you believe it to be false and they should be happy to provide really as you are willing to pay.

Hey,

this is bloody typical of DCA's they try and force people into paying what they want.

what i would do is ask them to prove the debt exists by providing you with details, perhaps send a CCA request to them (depends on what the debt is for though), once they have this just sit back and await some half assed response. Nothing will happen here Valhalla, they are just trying to scare you into doing what THEY want.

I'm sure some more experience people will be able to give you better advice, however this would be my suggestion.

Az

If this is for a credit card or loan have you CCA'd them? If it's for an overdraft have you sent HSBC a SAR with a view to reclaiming any unfair charges?

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Much appreciated

Cerberusalert's comment brought something else to mind :

I've a spot of bother with a business account, also with HSBC.

I went £50 overdrawn and ( due to my own lack of action/attention mixed with a bit of f**k em attitude ) I didn't pay it off when I should have/could have.

HSBC proceeded to charge me £8 per day for being overdrawn, so that now I owe them £500 - all for having 'borrowed' £50.

I gather that business accounts are different to personal accounts and I can't dispute that the charges are what it says in the terms & conditions which I signed when I opened the account - so I have been stupid, but.... I just find it difficult to accept that it is morally justifiable to charge anyone £500 for being £50 o/d amd if I could find some way to challenge this I would love to do so. It just stinks somehow

They (HSBC) had the gall to write to me saying that if I was having financial hardship they would consider my situation 'sympathetically'. When I did write asking them to re-consider the charges, they replying saying they had 'carefully' considered my comments but found that the charges were in line with the t & c s ( Thanks a lot for your sympathetic consideration)

Any comments or advice?

Thank you guys and gals

Valhalla