Uninsured car parked.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This will seem an odd question, but i have a problem with parking in my street and one of my neighbours has had a car parked outside their house for about 6 months. It is taxed, however it is not insured - i know because someone checked the MID database.

Is it legal to keep an uninsured car on the highway? They are NOT driving it, it is just parked there taking up valuable parking space.

Hi,

I would say call up your council and discuss the scenario with them, they will be able to advise you on what they can do.

I am assuming the car is parked on the road and not on his driveway or a shared parking bay.

I think if on the road it also needs to be insured.

Yes, the car is parked on the road. As I say it is taxed but it has literally been there 6 months. Last year the same people parked another car there from January to August. The day after the tax ran out it was moved by them and hasn't been seen since. I am not sure why they would do this but it is annoying as parking is difficult and needlesly taking up[ space seems a little selfish.

Can't be on the road at all without insurance:

Pursuant to Section 143 of the 1988 Road Traffic Act, any person who uses, causes or permits a person to use a vehicle on the road, must have an insurance policy in place. Parking a vehicle on the road falls within the category of "uses".

Imagine if the handbrake broke and it rolled into somebody else's car. They'd have been hit by an uninsured driver and have all sorts of hassle.

Intresting was going to post same sort of question. I was wondering if a car that is taxed and under MOT can be legally parked on a public road if the insurance ran out after it was parked:confused:. Also who to pursue if the uninsured car damaged mine

G and M,

Even Fleet and Motor Trade Insurance policies, whilst allowing open driving, still have a requirement that the policyholder (or their Broker or other third party - by agreement) update the MID database. This means that the policyholder must add Trade Plate numbers, their own 'run arounds' within 7 days of acquisition and any 'stock' cars that are used on the public highway (on their own registration plate) that they will own for more than 14 days (Crystal ball time anyone?)

p.s. Many Insurers were threatened with having their authorised insurer status withdrawn by the FSA a year or so ago for not updating the MID database within 7 days.

H