Talk Talk and Direct Debits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

I have a problem with TalkTalk, they always seem to take my direct debits at different dates of the month anytime from the 15th to the 28th of the month.

I complained and they gave me £2 back on my bill, but now its happening again. I specifically told them the DD has to come out after the 24th of the month, first 2 months were ok last month they took on the 23rd, i was lucky i had some money left so no additional bank charges for unpaid DD.

This month 20th, next month I can expect the 18th.

Question is:

1. Is this how DD meant to be?
  2. I thought DD helps you to be organised

They usually say on varying dates and at varying amounts.

You could cancel the present one and make another, crossing out where it says that and stating the date and then the bank would be responsible if it came out on the wrong date and landed you with charges.

Thanks, I will check the form I filled again - I filled it in on their website so I should be able to see what was agreed.

Its just I don't have this issue with any other DD I have set up

Hi All,

I have checked the DD guarantee and TT did not notify me to say my bill was ready and therefore there was no way for me to know the DD date has changed.

And now they are trying to say I should have logged in to check, when it was their duty and promise to send the email when the bill is ready.

I have to write the their complaint department they say and they will see if they are liable to refund the charges applied by the bank and also if I am due a refund for the £5 DD failure charge they are putting on my bill

For something I have no control over its such a hassle.

I really don't understand how i have come from paying my DD on the 28th in Jan, to paying on the 18th in August (my next bill)

Direct Debit Guarantee:

This Guarantee is offered by all Banks and Building Societies that take part in the Direct Debit Scheme. The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected by your own Bank or Building Society.

If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change, The Carphone Warehouse Limited will notify you at least 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed.

If an error is made by The Carphone Warehouse Limited or your Bank or Building Society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid

The variable date part is only to take weekends and bank holidays into account should a payment date fall on that. It's does not allow them to shift the actual date of payment especially 10 - 15 days.

Talk talk have recently changed their billing system. You no longer get an e-mail with your bills, but an e-mail with a link to the online billing system. My e-mail was two weeks later than normal, i.e. just before the DD went out.

I didn't get an email and I am sure they either didn't send one or they sent to the wrong address.

The 1st time I called the lady on the phone was confirming an email address I had closed down for years and updated to a new one on their system, so I am guessing they made a blunder and won't admit it - and to ask me to pay for it as well.

I can't wait to call them when I get home.

The variable date part is only to take weekends and bank holidays into account should a payment date fall on that. It's does not allow them to shift the actual date of payment especially 10 - 15 days.

yeah Conniff, I will take them up on that as well - last I pointed that out she said they send notification in the bill and that I am normally billed on the 4th then add 14days then anytime after that i should expect to make a payment.

How come my other DDs manage to take money after specific dates:mad:

Bunkum (I'm afraid).

Variable amounts on variable dates means EXACTLY that - anything at any time. When the DD scheme started, it was initially a set date (no variation) but even then there was a confirmation that on days that fell on non-banking dates, the payment would be processes on the last day prior to the actual date to ensure the payment arrived on time.

This also holds true for Standing Orders (say 1st of every month).

DD's do not make you organised. They remove financial responsibility from you to some half-wit at a comuter terminal who doesn'r know you or your financial situation. They stand at the door of an Alladin's Cave of money - the question is, since the DD guarantee is so weak, why would anyone EVER agree to it.

But they do. :(

Very true - and with Virgin that is £60 per year, but I still thought it worthwhile NOT to give them a DD and fight them through the courts. If you are saying that £15 a year isn't worth your financial independence, I'd despair!

There is also the possibility of the whole [problem] (charging for non paying by DD) being outlawed. If it is, there will be claims for refunds. SO for once the hold-outs will have retained control and won the battle!

Buzby, You know what! I am seriously considering it, i will see what the outcome of this complaint is then go from there.

Really if my bank charges were to stand and TT charges that is already £13, so I might as well.

And it may also mean they have to spend more time processing my payment.:)

I faxed a complain letter to TT on Thursday - I got a voicemail on saturday morning saying they will refund the bank charge (£8) waive their DD failure of £5 and give me 1 month free tariff.

I will say that is a result - but I will also keep an eye from now on maybe set the DD on a credit card so there will always be enough money there.

I will say that is a result - but I will also keep an eye from now on maybe set the DD on a credit card so there will always be enough money there.

Actually, that's even worse.

(1) The DD guarantee - which is pretty limited anyway, does NOT apply to card debits. (2) Whilst you can cancel a DD, you CANNOT cancel a recurring mandate, EVER. Only the merchant you can do this. It is not uncommon for a debit to be taken from a card account that has even been CLOSED, and the bank then chases you for the money they paid out and you have no right of appeal.

Edited by buzby

• dx100uk changed the title to Talk Talk and Direct Debits