Wescot Credit Services - oh joy!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everybody

I received a typical 'U OWE US MONEY' letter from wescot last week, with the usual blah blah if you dont pay we'll come and steal your soul nonsense. I'm going to be sending them a lovely cca for that because i'm really not sure the debts mine.

However, there is something really quite worrying about the letter. Basically, about halfway down it says the following:

'If you ignore the instructions and fail to take action by ........

This may result in one of the following

1. Legal proceedings being automatically issued against you in the county court/Sheriff's court - which could result in:

• a county court judgement or decree against you
  • your possessions being seized
  • your debt increasing because of court costs

2. A debt collector being instructed to visit your home and collect the debt personally

Now, its that second part. Is it just me or does that sound like they're saying they can send bailiffs round to collect the debt even without a ccj?

What do other people think? I'm pretty sure that they can only send bailiffs with a ccj and that claiming to be able to send them without one is illegal. Even if they are just saying they will send them round, it makes it sound like they will legally be able to take things. Surely if they were being honest they would say at the end of part 2....you are not legally required to open the door and pay us/let us take goods without a ccj.

Are they being deliberately misleading......if so what should I do in regards to this?

Many thanks everyone! Lets keep fighting the good fight :D

2. A debt collector being instructed to visit your home and collect the debt personally

Now, its that second part. Is it just me or does that sound like they're saying they can send bailiffs round to collect the debt even without a ccj?

Note they don't use the word 'Bailiff'

They simply say 'debt collector'

And as we all know a debt collector has absolutely no legal powers to remove goods or collect money from you, full stop!

For anyone to take money off you for an alleged debt, you either have to enter into agreement with them, or they have to take you to court and obtain a CCJ, you then have to default on that CCJ they then take you back to court and ask to remove goods to the value of the debt or obtain other means of getting their mucky paws on your money, ie, a Charging order, attachment of earnings etc.

As you may be aware, those types of letter are designed to intimidate the debtors lack of knowledge about their rights and consumer law.

It may well be worth registering a complaint to the OFT about the content of the letter, and how it is designed to intimidate and exploit a debtors lack of knowledge:D

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi everybody

I received a typical 'U OWE US MONEY' letter from wescot last week, with the usual blah blah if you dont pay we'll come and steal your soul nonsense. I'm going to be sending them a lovely cca for that because i'm really not sure the debts mine.

However, there is something really quite worrying about the letter. Basically, about halfway down it says the following:

'If you ignore the instructions and fail to take action by ........

This may result in one of the following

1. Legal proceedings being automatically issued against you in the county court/Sheriff's court - which could result in:

• a county court judgement or decree against you
  • your possessions being seized
  • your debt increasing because of court costs

What do other people think? I'm pretty sure that they can only send bailiffs with a ccj and that claiming to be able to send them without one is illegal. Even if they are just saying they will send them round, it makes it sound like they will legally be able to take things. Surely if they were being honest they would say at the end of part 2....you are not legally required to open the door and pay us/let us take goods without a ccj.

Are they being deliberately misleading......if so what should I do in regards to this?

Many thanks everyone! Lets keep fighting the good fight

:D

I've highlighted (in red) all you need to know....scare tactics is all it isl

Just hate every DCA out there

Thanks for the replies. know its all scare tactics, I actually laughed when I got that letter. Was just wondering if it was worth a complaint seeing as it was very misleading. After all, the average person who hasnt been fighting these types of muppets would most likely think it meant they could just come around with no ccj.

Other than the OFT, should I write anything about it to them when I send off my cca? I was thinking about complaining about the threatening nature of their letter anyway.......

Something along the lines of.....I found your letter to be extremely misleading and personally threatening. I am not sure as to why you felt you should be so threatening. I have never heard from your company before, and would have expected you to have at least sent a professional letter informing me of this alleged debt before you decided to start being threatening......................

Basically because it sounds a bit condascending......and I do like to annoy these chumps sometimes :lol:

What do you think?

Will send out the cca tomorrow probably then update if and when i get anything back

They need to arrange an appointment before they visit and with your consent.

They have no more right of entry than the milkman.

Write to them and tell they they don't have your authority to visit and if they do turn up tell them to do one, and call the local Police if they don't.

Thanks Bonzo

I'll have to put that in when I send off my cca. Glad i decided to wait til tomorrow to do it.

More things to annoy them......mwahahaha!

Doorstep collections letter>>

I also note it is your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you

There is only an implied license under Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and civil action will be taken.

Just hate every DCA out there

Thanks for that pmh, this is all gonna be a nice surprise for them :D

My God I love this forum and everybody on it!

All this stroppiness on their part already and I havent even been trying to avoid them lol.

Ah at least it keeps me mildly entertained. If it wasnt for everybody here I would be so stressed about this so thank you again to everyone.

Of course make a complaint to the OFT The Office of Fair Trading: Contact us

[email protected]

But as was seen last night, don't expect any reaction, besides they won't look into individual complaints, but will put it in the drawer with all the others and then when that draw becomes full, they empty it out and slap the DCA's wrists:mad:

A much better way forward is to make a complaint to these guys;) How to Complain

Then these Consumer Direct who will forward your complaint onto your area's Trading Standards as well as the DCA's TS.

Complaints - Privacy & electronic communication - ICO

Financial Ombudsman Service

For Future Reference;)

The Office of Fair Trading: Debt collection practices

Administration of Justice Act 1970 (c.31)

Malicious Communications Act 1988 (c. 27)

Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (c. 40)

Boo;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

haha I should do that! Funnily enough my partner isnt far off that :D

Soory for the no reply, been doing new job related stuff (w00t new job). Actually decided to read the letter properly and its actually for vodaphone so am sending a 'not my debt' letter.

Have posted that in another thread here :

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/211694-eek-vodaphone.html#post2322161

Thanks for all the replies though

Hi Youslaa,

I've already posted in your other thread letting you how you can contact me with your details if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

so you havent really helped just ask him to reveal his true identity

Hi PGH7447 and Youslaa,

Just thought I'd come back to the thread to clarify that I work for and represent Vodafone.

As you'll appreciate, it's only possible to help customers with account specific queries but having access to their account.

Naturally, this contact has to be carried out privately so as to protect the true identify of the poster. Please be assured that we're keen to help, where we can, to get customers' queries resolved as quickly as possible.

Hope this helps to clear things up for you both.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Hi PGH7447 and Youslaa,

Just thought I'd come back to the thread to clarify that I work for and represent Vodafone.

As you'll appreciate, it's only possible to help customers with account specific queries but having access to their account.

Naturally, this contact has to be carried out privately so as to protect the true identify of the poster. Please be assured that we're keen to help, where we can, to get customers' queries resolved as quickly as possible.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU CORRESPOND WITH THIS PERSON! ALL THE LEGAL ACCURATE AND UNBIASED HELP YOU NEED WILL BE FOUND HERE ON CAG, NOT THROUGH A TROLL EMPLOYED BY THE ORGANISATION YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WITH.

AVOID AVOID AVOID8)

WHICH IS EXACTLY WHY YOU HAVE YOUR OWN DEDICATED CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS.

Youslaa YOU ARE STRONGLY ADVISED "NOT" TO GIVE THIS TROLL ANY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION, INCLUDING YOUR PHONE NUMBER/REFERENCE NUMBER/ADRESS ETC..AVOID AVOID AVOID

Of course he isn't just another telephone threat monkey getting above his station, a little like "The Inside Man" the other day, purporting to be a 'manager':lol:

It's OK though have already cut and pasted an email to Voda informing them of the potential breach of DPA...:D

Hi PGH7447 and Youslaa,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

You can help by stopping your company using such tactics as passing "Debts" to DCA's that use such tactics, and by maybe trying to help customers in distress in the first place, or is that too simple for your company and others who at the first sign of a bottom line loss sell these alledged debts on

Edited by PGH7447