Do I need to give out my details?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5391 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

A few weeks ago, I received a letter from a debt collection agency concerning a debt which I have reason to believe I may be partially responsible for (never cancelled gas account in a flatshare a few years ago). I think what I owe is only around 10% of the amount they are now chasing me for.

I wrote back to the the debt collectors asking for details of the debt, and they have written back asking me for my last 3 addresses and the dates when I left them 'in order to prevent a breach of the data protection act' (presumably so they can verify I am the person they are after). Should I comply? I am happy to try to resolve the situation and repay the debt I owe, but really don't want to give them any more personal information than I need to.

Would it be best to try to tackle this with the gas supplier or the debt collectors?

Thanks for any help you can give

if they have sent you information concerning an alleged debt, they obviously think they have the right person, seems weird they would request your last 3 addy's.

personally, i wouldn't give them any info at all. how long ago was this debt? be very careful about the information you give them, ask them to send you all the info they have to the address they have on their system, they have to comply with this. Hopefully with shed some light on the matter. sure others will be able to help on this one.

Az

If the Gas supplier has sold the debt onto a DCA then they won't be at all interested, as they will have been paid by the DCA and again from their insurance/tax relief for the debt, so as far as they are concerned they have got their money!

The DCA is out on a phishing trip, if you don't give them the info they require then they can't fabricate the debt to suit their paperwork (allegedly!)

Also, the info they require is your own personal information, regardless of who they purport to be, getting peoples personal information such as addresses is an excellent start to stealing your identity, they are already breaching the DPA (IMHO)

Ignore them and they will crawl back into their dark dingy hole soon enough;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi, thanks for the advice.

Should I write to DCA saying something along the lines of: 'I have no obligation to give you my personal info, please leave me alone until you can provide proof that i am the person you are after'

Or is it best to just ignore? I imagine they will just keep sending letters if I do...

The debt is about 3 years old. They are asking me for my last 3 addresses, although ironically none of those are where the debt was incurred!

we had something similr at an old house, I never wrote back to the gas company as the debt was for before we were in residence.

Then it went to DCA they kept writing to the lettings agent, I agree dont tell them anything, if its not yours ignore it they cannot prove it

Hi, thanks for the advice.

Should I write to DCA saying something along the lines of: 'I have no obligation to give you my personal info, please leave me alone until you can provide proof that i am the person you are after'

Or is it best to just ignore? I imagine they will just keep sending letters if I do...

The debt is about 3 years old. They are asking me for my last 3 addresses, although ironically none of those are where the debt was incurred!

If i were you, i'd ignore this all together, if they call you just state you are not prepared to give personal information over the phone, if they need to ask anything to put it in writing. something along those lines. they sound like they haven't got a clue who they should be speaking with.

Az

It is for them to prove you owe a debt, not the other way around - don't give them any information whatsoever.

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Thanks everyone. It did seem weird that they accused me of owing them money and then starting asking me for personal information when they had no authority to do so.

diddydicky - It was probably about 3 years ago.

Thanks everyone. It did seem weird that they accused me of owing them money and then starting asking me for personal information when they had no authority to do so.

diddydicky - It was probably about 3 years ago.

ok so 3 more to go then to SB - shame

It did seem weird that they accused me of owing them money and then starting asking me for personal information when they had no authority to do so.

Definitely another phishing trip!

Report them to the OFT The Office of Fair Trading: Contact us

[email protected]

Consumer Direct who pass it onto yours and theirs, local Trading Standards.

Complaints - Privacy & electronic communication - ICO

How to Complain

The more people complain about these companies and their antics, the more chance we have of putting them out of business, or at the very least teaching them a little about UK Law!

Boo;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!