• Tweets

• Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Various cc's-worth claiming?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5386 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi..this is on behalf of my partner who has several credit cards-vanquis,mint,halifax and citi as well as littlewoods catalogue and a loan from Alliance and Leicester. Basically he had these when i met him and got in a bit of a mess.

Anyway,what he was doing was trying to juggle them all and pay small amounts he could afford each month as the phone was ringing none stop from each company pressuring for money he just did not have. in the end it got so we stopped paying any of them as whatever we paid each month did nothing to reduce the amount by the time late payment and interest was added-the amounts were going up not down. We sorted out all other-more important bills i thought-such as utilities,c tax etc and are pretty sorted now with these.

Most of the credit card etc debts are now with bailiffs and the calls are coming asking for repayments. After what we learnt here we intend to ask all for a CCA. Before we knew to do this Blair Oliver and Scott rang and he agreed to repay £5 a month for the halifax cc. We will now ask for a CCA before we start to pay them?

Also-is it worth asking for any charges refunded from the lenders even though they have passed them to DCA's? The interest on vanquis alone was over £16 a month-more than we were paying hence the balance increasing all the time. If it is worth claiming where to start?!

Thanks for any advice and taking time to read this. Its a fantastic site-thats why i am here at 4.30am lol..i cant make a donation this week im sorry but fully intend to next week. Just reading some of the posts helps put your mind at rest.

Most of the credit card etc debts are now with bailiffs and the calls are coming asking for repayments. After what we learnt here we intend to ask all for a CCA. Before we knew to do this Blair Oliver and Scott rang and he agreed to repay £5 a month for the halifax cc. We will now ask for a CCA before we start to pay them?

You cannot stop making payments if the creditor has a CCJ against you - it is a court order that you pay a stipulated sum per month & not to do so could result in a Warrant of Execution & court baliffs taking your possessions.

If so called 'baliffs' are contacting you without a court order, they have no legal powers whatsoever & you should inform them in writing that any attempts to attend your home will be regarded as trespass & you can prosecute as such.

If there is no CCJ, you should not stop payments until they are in default of supplying a cca (12+2days after request) or do not supply a valid one as until then, they have the law on their side as regards purusing the debt. If they do not supply cca etc. or you dispute it's enforceability, you should write & tell them the account is in dispute & that no more payments will be made until they find the cca. Be aware that this may prompt them to take legal action & you will have to defend in court.

Also-is it worth asking for any charges refunded from the lenders even though they have passed them to DCA's? The interest on vanquis alone was over £16 a month-more than we were paying hence the balance increasing all the time. If it is worth claiming where to start?!

DEFINITELY start making claims for any unlawful charges applied to your accounts. If you do not have statements, you need to send a SAR to the OC (cost £10.00) & request one of the DCA (free), then start calculating & claiming. You can apply to the DCA for the refund if they have purchased the debt but sometimes they are just acting as collecting agents for the OC so you may be better addressing your claim to the OC. They will fight a bit about it (sometimes you may have to commence legal action) but eventually you will get the money, although it may be credited against your debt & not cash in hand.

More info here (same for ccs & loans as banks): http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/25457-guide-reclaiming-bank-charges.html

SAR template here:

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/110--data-protection-act-1998-subject-access-request-

Do not sign your applications, print or use digital sig, send fee as PO & Rec. Del.

Hope that helps - FG

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Hi FG-many thanks for your reply-there are no ccj's for anything at all-its so far all been calls from the original creditors or bailiff letters but no court action,just threats of it. When Vanquis rang last my partner said he was prepared to go to court or go bankrupt-the lady said "this would affect future credit" etc-my partner said he didnt care as he didnt want credit. She continued to push him £10 a month-he stuck to offering £5. Then next day we got the letter from Blair Oliver and Scott accepting £5 a month but subject to future review.

As for Halifax he told them the same-he would become bankrupt-he then got a letter from Impact Collections Service offering a discount of 50% if he called and came to a repayment agreement for the 50% outstanding-they would make the other 50%. Is it wise to accept this-we have 7 days to accept and the cca will take longer.

Thanks again for your help.

....he then got a letter from Impact Collections Service offering a discount of 50% if he called and came to a repayment agreement for the 50% outstanding-they would make the other 50%. Is it wise to accept this-we have 7 days to accept and the cca will take longer.

NO, NO, NO!! If they are offering you this now it's possible it's because they know they can't produce an enforceable CCA.

Send for your CCAs to all your creditors/DCAs & don't agree anything until you know the true postion. If they can't produce a CCA & you want to do a deal on a F&F, do it on your terms & get them in writing before parting with any cash but remember that most debts are bought by DCAs for between 10% & 20% of the value. You offer anything over that & they're clapping their monkey hands together for another banana. If 50% is on the table now, it will probably be on the table in another 2-4 weeks so play the game...

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Thanks again-just not sure what a F&F is? Probably something really obvious lol..have only agreed the fiver with Blair up to now which they want on the 5th so will pay that whilst waiting for the CCA from them and the others.

Thanks again FG.

F&F - Full & Final

See this for template if you get to that stage - it's Letter J:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html