You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

Kachana

Mysterious debt collection postcard: to 'The Occupier'...'please call John'

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4006 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

I've received a strange postcard addressed to 'The Occupier' at my address, simply giving a reference number and asking me to call 'John' on a landline number! A quick internet search of the postcode on the return address shows that it's from Westcot debt collectors.

I am not aware of having any debts at all, and haven't been receiving any demands for payment from any companies - I have no idea what this could be.

I'd be v grateful for advice on what to do - specifically, I don't want to ring them and in some way prejudice myself. It looks like they don't have my name (which makes me think it could be a debt from the previous owner - I moved in 3 years ago), but I'm sure they'll be asking for all sorts of personal details when I call. The last thing I want to do is somehow, unwittingly, take on someone elses debt, and have the burden of jumping through lots of hoops to extricate myself from the situation.

Should I just give the reference number and no more, asking them to provide me with full details of the debt?

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks!

no no no

ignore it totally!

dca's have no legal powers, they are not bailiffs and can do NOTHING to you.

i could send one of those too

please! do some reading in the dca forum.

NEVER contact a dca by phone!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

throw it in the bin

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

'tis a fishing trip - they want your name so they can send you demands regardless of whether you owe the money or not. Bin it.

:)I am not an expert, but I can give good advice about Brighthouse:)

Am learning more and more about DCA's too :)

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

<------If you think I have been helpful, please feel free to tip my scales - remember to put your CAG name though!

agreed..IGNORE AND BIN IT!!!

I've received a quite few of these and just ignored them. Some of them have really nice pictures on them. ;) Obviously with a threat or a number to call on the reverse!

Never call them! They will hound you! thats if they haven't already got your telephone number.

HSBC - Successfully Claimed back Charges & Interest £1265

Barclaycard Successfully Claimed back Charges & Interest £400

Abbey - Successfully Claimed back PPI £960

Hi, I've received a strange postcard addressed to 'The Occupier' at my address, simply giving a reference number and asking me to call 'John' on a landline number! A quick internet search of the postcode on the return address shows that it's from Westcot debt collectors.

"John" is probably a code name that the DCA's will recognise as, a "try to locate strategy". This is happening all over the country at the moment and it is reasonable to say, expect even more as the months go by. You will be hard pushed to find many neighbours that are not getting the same thing if you listen to the conversation in the local pubs etc. For goodness sakes don't ring them as they should know the name of the person they are tring to collect from. Also, I thought addressing to The Occupier was against OFT guidelines.

If my post helped you feel better, click my scales.

Thanks very much for the replies everyone - I won't be calling them!

Interesting to hear that it may be against OFT guidelines - would it be worth sending it on to the OFT for them to pursue?

Thanks again

Yes :D

:)I am not an expert, but I can give good advice about Brighthouse:)

Am learning more and more about DCA's too :)

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.

<------If you think I have been helpful, please feel free to tip my scales - remember to put your CAG name though!

On the other hand, if you (like me) are a little confrontational and like to take the mickey, you could call "John" and state that you are "The Occupier" and offer up no further details other than this, not even your address.

"You mean there is more than one 'The Occupier'?"

Probably best to stay on the safe side and bin it, however....... :D

Hope this helps

If you feel that this site has helped you in any way please leave a donation if you can afford to do so.

If you feel that have been helpful please feel free to tip the scales.

The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. ~Tom Waits, Small Change

Please note: i am not a qualified lawyer, any advice is offered in good faith and is based on my own and others experiences and a penchant for research and a desire to help others to empower themselves

I Would sign their number up to as many online sales/customer sites as possible, and snigger at the thought of John being called all day by kitchen direct, mobile phone sellers etc...

"John" is probably a code name that the DCA's will recognise as, a "try to locate strategy". This is happening all over the country at the moment and it is reasonable to say, expect even more as the months go by. You will be hard pushed to find many neighbours that are not getting the same thing if you listen to the conversation in the local pubs etc. For goodness sakes don't ring them as they should know the name of the person they are tring to collect from. Also, I thought addressing to The Occupier was against OFT guidelines.

It is :)

Communication

2.1 It is unfair to communicate, in whatever form, with consumers in an unclear,

inaccurate or misleading manner.

2.2 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

a. use of official looking documents intended or likely to mislead

debtors as to their status, for example, documents made to resemble court

claims.

b. leaving out or presenting information in such a way that it

creates a false or misleading impression or exploits debtors'

lack of knowledge

c. those contacting debtors not making clear who they are, who

they work for, what their role is, what the purpose of the

contact is

Report straight to the OFT :D

• Haha 1

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)