Executor of a Will, Probate and Everything – Help Please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am the executor of a relative’s will – very sadly they have just passed away.

I have never had to do this before and have no idea what to expect or where to start.

I know I need to get the death certificate and all the paperwork together but once I have them where do I go from there?

We do not want to instruct solicitors due to the expense. All is fairly simple with just 2 named beneficiaries and a straight split. There is a small property involved.

Any help and advice would be appreciated as would suggested links to other sites etc that can help.

I started looking at the HMRC website but didn't find it terribly clear.

T :(

Trudy,

When my step father died, my mother was handed a bundle of leaflets at the hospital - one of these was from the Probate Office. It gives the basic details of what needs to be done following the death. The Helpline is very useful - they are very nice, do call if you have any questions, they will send you all of the forms necessary.

As there is a property involved, the estate worth is more than likely more than £7000, so you must apply for the Will to be proven and the issue of a Grant of Representation. This gives you, as Executrix, the power to control the estate:

The Probate Service

In essence you are charged with full filling the requests in the Will, gather together the cash worth of the estate, pay any debts (including the funeral), some expenses, and once all finished distribute to the two beneficiaries. Obviously, a solicitor will be required for the sale of the property, but you could employ one as and when required for dealing with the estate.

Open an executor account with your bank - keep the monies separate from your own, keep receipts of expenses, keep records of all the details. You will need to go through all the deceased paperwork to ensure you find all their accounts - share holdings, premium bonds, ISA's, Pensions etc. If you or the family are aware of likely debts, you may have to publish in the local papers (or London Gazette) calling for any claimants, have a look in the paper and see how solicitors write a notice.

Lots to do, but it is not a race, take your time. Funeral Directors are use to waiting - although they would like their money as soon as possible.

If the person worked, and their company provides a Death in Service insurance - this does not count towards the estate it normally is due to the Next of Kin - they may have already given the company instructions on its distribution.

Look through the bank accounts and list all standing orders and Direct debits and review them for cancelling.

These are just some thoughts as I have come across them in dealing with estates.

Good luck,

John

• Haha 1