Disputing Overpayment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Some of you may remember a post I made a while ago about a former employer threatening to take me to court unless I worked for him for free.

I called his bluff on this after seeking advice from CAB and the police due to it being blackmail and he backed off and things have been quiet for over a month or so.

I recently got a voicemail from this former boss (I had blocked all methods of communicating with him) now saying that he has merely overpaid me and he would take money from my account if I did not work for him for free once again (he never gives up it seems).

Obviously he will have my account details but cant take money from my account without my permission unless he himself breaks the law.. my main issue is I of course dispute this fictitious claim he overpaid me (it has been approaching 5 months since I stopped working for him and as far as im concerned he owes ME money as I was never paid for the last month), should I just wait for him to attempt to claim the money or take action and speak to a employment solicitor myself beforehand as I intend to dispute the overpayment claim. Where do I stand legally? I would appreciate any comments on this matter.

Guest iolande

if he owes you why don't you put a claim in at the Employment tribunal? Then at least if he tries to take you to court you can reply that there is already a case pending on the matter. I think you have 6 months to put in a claim for illegal deduction of wages.

If he owes you money, as the PP stated you should have taken him to an employment tribunal. As three months have passed, you are not able to do that now. Before speaking to a solicitor it may be worthwhile giving ACAS a shout - see what they advise.

Acas - How can we help?

What evidence do you have that you have not been overpaid? If you have pay slips, P45 or P60 keep these - they will come in handy if he does carry his threat out. Keep the voicemail too.

I would strongly advise you to either go back to the police with this voicemail OR/AND (if you qualify for legal aid) ask a solicitor to write a letter to your former employer. He is harassing you as far as I am concerned and threatening you with taking money from your account - which plainly he cannot do. If he has such a claim then he should be claiming it through the appropriate channels, not leaving threatening messages on your answerphone.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

if he owes you why don't you put a claim in at the Employment tribunal? Then at least if he tries to take you to court you can reply that there is already a case pending on the matter. I think you have 6 months to put in a claim for illegal deduction of wages.

Ive been hoping to just drop the matter to be honest. I dont care about the money I have a new job, new career and just want to be left alone. I was hoping not challenging him would make him leave me alone.

If he owes you money, as the PP stated you should have taken him to an employment tribunal. As three months have passed, you are not able to do that now. Before speaking to a solicitor it may be worthwhile giving ACAS a shout - see what they advise.

Acas - How can we help?

What evidence do you have that you have not been overpaid? If you have pay slips, P45 or P60 keep these - they will come in handy if he does carry his threat out. Keep the voicemail too.

I would strongly advise you to either go back to the police with this voicemail OR/AND (if you qualify for legal aid) ask a solicitor to write a letter to your former employer. He is harassing you as far as I am concerned and threatening you with taking money from your account - which plainly he cannot do. If he has such a claim then he should be claiming it through the appropriate channels, not leaving threatening messages on your answerphone.

I have Payslips and P60 and P45 to prove I have not been overpaid. Ive decided to speak to the police further about the matter as it's getting ridiculous now. I changed my phone number today and he does not know my address or email which should put pay to any communication from him.