You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

Bushpig29

My Electricity Meter in another property

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3999 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

I was previously living in a maisonette with a flat underneath. Although my gas meter was on the exterior wall, my electricity meter was in fact in the flat underneath. On numerous occasions access was requested by N-Power, British Gas and even 3rd party meter reading agents, but not once could they gain access to take a reading due to the meter being in the flat underneath.

When i approached the landlady, she told me to pass on her number to the people wanting to read the meter so that she could make arrangements for them to access it. Again this never happened.

The reason i am posting here is that i am unsure as to whether or not it is legal to have an electric meter for 1 property installed inside a different property?

I am currently disputing an over inflated estimated final bill from N-Power as i don't believe the meter has been read by a certified person for quite some time.

Can anyone help? Surely the meter for a property must be inside the same property and not elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, whilst it's not a brilliant position to be in, it is perfectly legal. It happens frequently when older houses are cioverted into flats/maisonettes as it is expensive to move electricity meters and get seperate supplies hooked up.

The obvious draw backs are that you are unable to check your energy consumption and that your bills are accurate... on the plus side, with a long period of estimating, it may have been under-estimated for a long time, so you may have been under-charged... just be wary that when a read is obtained you may have a large 'catch-up' bill

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

The problem i have at the minute is that i am trying to be charged for an amazingly over-inflated amount of consumption from the house i previously rented.

The average daily figure stands at 13kWh which is quite absurd to say it was a 1 bed maisonette with no central heating and with only a fridge-freezer appliance. That combined with the fact i was at work 11 hours a day and never there at weekends baffles me into how on earth my consumption is estimated so high??

To put it in comparison i was being charged 4.623kWh while with British Gas, which you can see is considerably less than npower are quoting.

And to offer another comparible.......i currently live in a 3 bed semi with my partner and child, central heating, numerous electrical appliances and have a pre-payment meter installed. My current average daily consumption rate stands at 7.74kWh.

Again....the figures just don't add up!!!

I have reason to believe that with the meter being in another property and the fact that previous tennants had run up amass of debt, i do think the meter hasn't been read for quite some time, therefore resulting in the estimated debt of previous tennants actually being under-estimated.

The dispute continues......

trouble is, that by licence, the supplier only has to attempt to read the meter once every 15 months, and probably wont have had access to your meter.

Did the property have storage heaters? And an immersion heater to heat the water? As depending on the timings that they were on, that could justify the consumption... And in terms of appliances, what about things like washing machine, phone charger, computer, tv... it all adds up unfortunately.

The fridge freezer would use at most about 3 units a day depending on the make and model, age etc

I did have an immersion heater which was rarely used, maybe once a week if i hadn't taken a shower already at work. Only other thing i made use of was a stereo. I would have used my TV if it hadn't had been for the aerial being snipped outside the building along with poor reception when using an internal aerial!

It's daft really when you think of it like that......when i look at what i have in the property i am in.....Washing machine - Tumble Dryer - 2 x PC's - Numerous TV's and gaming consoles - DVD Players - Stereo's - 3 x mobile chargers - 2 x Fridge Freezers - Security Lights - DJ Equipment - even a night light for the young one left on 10 hours.........and yet it costs near on exactly as much as what the last property did!!!

Just doesn't add up mate i'm sorry.

i would be demanding a reading that is true and accurate as you beleive the other tennent is using you power and is connected to your meter,demand they check this out as you strongly suspect they may have fraudulently connected to your power supply...

patrickq1

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Advice & opinions given by patrickq1 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional

I work as a meter-reader and I came across a shop owner recently that doesn;t have access to their electric meter because it is in the passageway of the flat above (which has a seperate locked entrance). I asked to read the meter but the shop-owner did not have a key to get into the passageway because the landlord wouldn't let her have one. She was very concerned to get a reading because her bills had all been estimated because of this problem. I went on a wild goosechase on behalf of the shopowner to get hold of the key but I consider that the landlord (a hotel owner) and his staff were being deliberately obstructive in allowing access to the meter. Surely there should be something in the legislation to protect the consumer in this type of situation? Maybe the electric supplier should be forced to move the meter into a location where the consumer can gain access to read it, in this type of scenario?

Bushpig - I would agree with you in that the estimated bill at your previous address sounds ridiculously high. Not sure what you can do about it now though as you no longer live at the address, and the present occupier's usage patterns are unlikely to be similar to yours were when you lived there.

Edited by mattlamb

without an accurate reading from the time, there's not a lot that can be done about it unfortunately.

With regards to suppliers moving meters so they are accessible, in an ideal world this would happen but i can't see it ever will. If over many years no read was obtained then eventually a warrant of entry would be applied for to get access to the meter, but it is the consumer who has to pay the costs