dca trouble help please. ***Won***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5380 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have been contacted by global debt collections and have been told we have an outstanding debt of £13000 from 7 yrs ago. We panicked at being threatened with legal proceedings and set up a payment plan of £5 a month as we are not working at the moment. I have since seen details of statute barred debts etc and was wondering if there was anything we can do now as we have started payments. Thanks

Hello and Welcome, phycosurfer.

Once a debt becomes Statute Barred, It stays Statute Barred.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi,

What was the debt ?

The Limitations Act 1980 outlines the time limit within which a creditor can chase a debtor for outstanding debts. The Limitations Act 1980 only applies when no contact has been made between the creditor and debtor within the given time limit and only applies to residents of England and Wales.

Creditors are given a fixed period of time to chase their debtors, which is outlined in the Limitations Act 1980. The time scale mainly depends on the type of debt and can be extended at the courts discretion. The time limit begins when you last admitted owing the money or made a payment.

Should the creditor fail to maintain contact with the debtor, for a period of 6 years or more, it is possible to claim that the outstanding debt is "Statute Barred" under the conditions of the Limitations Act 1980.

The Limitations Act 1980 also has additional effects, depending on the type of debt in question:

Unsecured debt

You may have assumed that your creditor has "written-off" a debt if you have not heard from them for a long period. In many cases, it could be down to your failure to inform them of a change of address, but the debt will still exist and creditors are entitled to chase the debt indefinitely (even after the debt has become Statute Barred), however they can only use the legal system to recover the monies for up to 6 years after the last payment was made to the account.

Remember, creditors are still able to pursue an unsecured debt if:

* They have previously obtained a judgement against you (a CCJ);

* You have made a payment to the account within the last 6 years (this includes anyone else named on the credit agreement)

* You have established any contact with the creditor (this can be a phone call or letter to request a balance or change your details), except to deny that the debt exists.

If a creditor continues to contact you after accepting that a debt is Statute Barred and you have stated that you no longer intend to pay the debt, you may be able to claim harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970.

Statute barred

In principle, a debt cannot be enforced after 6 years from the date upon which it became due.

The 6 years runs from the last time that the debt was acknowledged in any way or from the last time that a payment was made towards the debt.

Once a debt has lapsed, it cannot be revived - even through a subsequent acknowledgement or payment.

The relevant law is contained within the Limitation Act 1980.

Regards.

Scott.

If there was a period of 6 years when no acknowledgement or payment was made towards the debt, It's Stat Barred.

Letter 'M' in this link. ament to suit......................

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Send recorded.

Regards.

Scott.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, psychosurfer.

Good to hear we could help :) If you ever get anyone else chasing the debt, just go through the same process.

Regards.

Scott.

Maroondevo52 I would just like to say thank you i did as you suggested and today received a letter from global saying that they have closed the file. This is a massive weight off our shoulders and all thanks to the help i received from here. Thanks again.

Well done psychosurfer great result:)

just read your thread again

please confirm this is arrow global

they are a company from america

they normally get marlin/ mortimer clark to litigate

who was the dca and sols as arrow global cant litigate themself

Damn good result, well done!:D

Just goes to show knowledge is power, I am so glad you didn't just roll over and continue paying them:D:D

Boo;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!