Step Daughter decided to live with me, what help can I get?

lottieapple

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4517 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

To cut a long story short me and my husband have spilt we have 2 children together, I have a daughter and he has residency of his daughter. We claimed tax credits as a couple with 4 children but I now need to claim as a single person however, my step daughter has decided she wants to stay in the family home (with me). Her mother and father have agreed (she's 15 so she wants to stay near all her friends and her school). Although I do not have parental responsibility for her can I still claim Tax Credits? Her father claims the child benefit and as she needs to visit her mother 60 miles away each week it was decided that maybe he should keep that to cover the travel expenses.

Can I claim tax credits without claiming child benefit? or do I need to change that too?

HELP I am so confused and I agree (I think it is the best decision) that she can stay but it would help to get some financial assistance for her. (Her Mother and Father do not work so I can not get any help from them).

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Lottieapple