Granddaughter in grandmothers care, what help?

medway
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone could advise on this, basically my mum has been looking after my neice since just after new year as social services did not believe that her parents were capable of looking after her (I agree btw).

Anyway my mum will soon be going for a residential order as the mother is making no attempts to sort her life out.

What help is there for my mum at the moment, my neices mum is still getting all benefits for my neice and occasionally gives my mum some money when it suits her.

My mum is on a state pension and was wondering would she be entitled to any other benefits for having neice in her care.

Sorry if this all sounds muddled but hope you get what im on about;)

Thanks in advance

depending on how old ur neice is?there is childs tax credits 08453003900 she needs to phone them and tell them the circumstances...she now holds custody of her...also child benefit around £17.80 a week up until 16 years old...can you ring the benefits help line as her mother should not be keeping this money...your mother is very much entitled to it,they will prob tell you more but your mum should be at least getting something for her

She should make a claim for Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit, with letters from Social Work to confirm the child is currently residing under her care.

The letter from Social Work as confirmation is very important as your mother doesn't yet have residency, parental rights/responsibility or official "guardianship", I assume?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

no she was told today to go for residency, neice is 5 btw, apparently, the mother is getting about 180 in all a fortnight i think for her daughter which doesnt sound right to me.

I guess we need to speak to the benefit line or something

No, you don't need the benefit line - they can't help my love, as they no longer deal with benefits for children, it's all transferred over to HMRC

You would need to speak to HMRC for Tax Credit and child benefit.

Tax Credit are 0845 300 3900 (text phone 0845 300 3909)

Child Benefit are 0845 302 1444 (textphone 0845 302 1474)

Child benefit will be £20 per week. It's impossible to say what tax credit your mum would receive as this is based on income, whereas child benefit is not.

As the mother is already claiming they cannot just "transfer" the claim over, they would need proof that your mum now has responsibility for the child, such as a letter from Social Work.

Is Social Work currently paying your mum kinship carer allowance?

It would be very worthwhile for your mum to make an appointment with her welfare rights representation unit. These are run by the local authority. They will be able to advise (and represent) your mum on all matters benefit related, the advice will be more specific and tailored to her needs as regards means tested benefit.

For a guide, you can look at Start Calculation

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)