You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

christine3m123

CRS Debt Collectors

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3999 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

My daughter has today been contacted by CRS who tell her she is £600 in debt to a gym and they are acting on the gym's behalf to recover the debt.

However, my daughter cancelled her membership with the gym by phone as she was moving to a different city. She was advised by the gym to fax to them proof of her move - and she did this by faxing her new flat rental agreement showing her change of address. She then cancelled her Direct Debit.

Now, eleven months later, she has been contacted by CRS who are telling her she will be taken to court unless she pays up. They don't seem to pull any punches and have scared her witless.

We have spoken to the Gym who say they can do nothing as they wrote to her 3 times (did it not occur to them that she wasn't getting the letters as she had moved?). They held her email address and mobile number but they didn't try to contact her using either of thoses methods. They say they have no record of her contacting them (surprise - surprise!)

And when we speak to CRS they say there is nothing they can do either - as they have now taken over the debt. So although she has followed the instructions to the letter, she has apparently still to pay. After 11 months, she obviously doesn't still have the fax acknowledgement.

Does anyone ehave any suggestions please as to our next move?

Many thanks

Firstly stop speaking to them on the phone & refuse to answer security questions if they phone you.

She does not have to pay a penny.

Only a county court has the authority to decide that.

Report them to the OFT/trading standards if you wish ;)

Suggest you tell them in writing you have proof of telling them of the cancellation and any more harassment will lead to court action.

Thanks for your quick answers and the positivity! However, she's already told them she doesn't still have the fax acknowledgment - and when they threatened court - they seemed quite sure they'd win! Help???!!

Edited by christine3m123
addition

Hi,

I've been dealing with these numpties for ages.

Here's what i suggest you do:

1. Send a letter asking if they own the debt and if so is it a credit agreement.

2. Await their response.

3. Come back here once you have a response. Let us know what they have said.

4. DON'T PANICK!!! THEY CAN'T WIN - THEY ARE BLUFFING. All they want is your money.

By the way, this will probably take a long while. I had to wait ages (about 6 weeks!) for any response.

Cheers

DC

Check out my Blog:

http://grandprixfan.wordpress.com

Keep fighting the good fight everyone!

Taking her to court is the last thing they will do, they say this in the hope that it will intimidate people enough into paying up!

I am having a similar problem http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/201723-new-fitness-first-complaint.html

Tell them that she will not pay anything as she instructed the Gym in good time of her moving address, and moving address is reason enough to cancel gym membership, even if it is within any specified 'minimum period'

They have been sold a lemon, and the account they have is in dispute with the Gym, who have failed to notify her of any debt least of all any notification of assignment (NOA)

Make a complaint to the OFT, using this link;enquiries@oft.gsi.gov.uk. The Office of Fair Trading: Contact us

Boo;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!