You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

lotuselise

Student Loans Company took money from someone else's account

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3992 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I recently discovered that the student loan that I thought I had been paying back for a year had been paid back by another party. It seems that the Student Loans Company had been taking the direct debits from the account of someone else for this period, even though they had a completely different name to me (their bank obviously wasn't very vigilant).

Eventually I noticed that the outgoings from my bank account were a little lower than expected, so I phoned the SLC, who told me that payments had been made on time. A while later I thought that it was worth checking whether they had the correct details, and it was only then that I discovered that something had gone wrong. I was then told to wait to be contacted about how this would be resolved, which I did.

However, after I received no contact for about 8 weeks, I decided to call them again. This time, it was cleared up, and, after a few days, I was called by the arrears department. They then demanded that I repay the full amount owed at double rate, including interest accrued, until the arrears was cleared (ie £82 per month rather than £41).

Now, I don't think that this is on; it was SLC's fault that the direct debits were coming out of someone else's account, and I don't think that I should be penalised with the extra interest accrued over the year, and the need to make double payments, because of this.

I'm quite happy to pay back the full amount of the loan, but I think that the interest for the year should be wiped, and it should be treated like a deferment - that is to say, I will pay back the full amount over 5 years.

Where do I stand on this legally?

Many thanks.

What kind of Student loan is it?

totally their error, can't see how they can charge you for their mistake. What's more, I hope that the other party who has been paying your loan chases them for interest etc.