• Tweets

• Are these the important pages I need to upload ? 1.  pages 1-4 are court form 10a 2.  2 pages of the CCA agreement  3.  Default notice from NewDay, 22/02/20 4.   Lowell letter stating they own debt ,     Dated 16/11/20 5. Unheaded letter also dated 16/11/20 from NewDay saying they assigned “all of the respective rights etc,”  to Lowell on 23/10/20 I make this 9 relevant pages from what I can see   ( all other pages are statements/default notes and lots of FCA info sheets) just needing your confirmation in advance as I don’t want to send over pages that are not required thank you  UCM      
    • Just out of curiosity aesmith - are you a lawyer?
    • I spoke to a pro-bono entity this afternoon.  They advise I must initiate a claim in the court v the receiver if I want to then file an application for an order for sale.  I must have a claim/ proceedings to be able to force a sale. The judge in the current proceedings  has told me that I cannot force the lender to sell and the lender cannot interfere either.   If the receiver isn't acting correctly and isn't selling - this means I must make a claim against the receiver I could initiate a claim. Or much quicker  - the other entity - with a charge already - could use that to make an application for an order for sale.
    • Thanks Dave It's not too far away, about 8 or 9 miles, so I will probably venture over on my bike if I can't think of a good reason to drive there again! I'll have a chat with Mrs GB_Joe tomorrow and see which shops they visited, I know M&S was on the list (had to try on multiple sets of trousers!) and they are actually in that bit of retail park. The uniform shop is across the way in the Meridian Centre, so probably not helpful to get them involved.
    • As they have failed to deliver their original PCN you will need to send them an SAR where they should provide that PCN. It should show the address they used . If it is not your current one that would explain the non delivery. If it was correct then perhaps the Post office messed up. A more cynical view would be that UKPC didn't send it so that you couldn't claim the reduction. It appears that UKPC have been there for some time  but I have been unable to find any pictures of their Notices.The leisure park itself is pretty big so while some parts maybe give 5 hours free parking other parts may have restrictions like permits. I haven't been there for years -I went  to Nandos and the bowling centre . I am surprised that they are now infested with UKPC as the place is plenty big enough not to require their dubious services. If you live not to far away it would help if you could get some legible pictures of their signs. Be carful to park in an area that doesn't require a permit and take photos of the entrance signs, the five hour sign and the permit only sign as well as any other signs that are different from the previous signs. Also if their is a payment machine could you please photograph that.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Taking Landlord to court

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am taking my previous landlord to court because they are refusing to return my deposit. My deposit was never put into a TDS so im also claiming 3x (test cased).

I moved into the property in Oct '07 and complained about the state of the front and back door because they were un-secure. There was also numerous dangerous faults with plumbing and electrics which in the end I paid myself to have repaired because of the danger to my children. I am claiming back the monies for the work I had carried out at my expense.

I have a letter from the landlord dated Dec 2007 confirming the backdoor needed to be replaced. 14 months later still no work carried out to the backdoor and we were burgled. We are going to claim for our possessions which were stolen because nobody would give us contents insurance because of the condition of the door and the fact the house was considered unsecure. The police also confirmed the property was burgled by the same means whilst the previous tenant lived there.

The best part is still to come... the landlord had fitted a new PVC front door in Jan '08 but used half my deposit as a "contribution to the door being installed". I caused no damage to the previous door and had no knowledge of my money being used for this purpose.

The house was unsafe to stay in because of criminal activity, the roof of the house was ripped off by two youth and used as missiles at police, drug dealing, etc etc.

I have tried settling out of court with the landlord with no joy, so im left with no option.

Please could someone advise me if I should use an N1 or N208 court form when filing my claim? Please could someone also go through my particulars of claim I have written and point out any errors or omissions?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by andrewquinn
update

The applicant makes a claim for part 1 and 2 under the Housing Act 2004 section 214(1)(a) that the deposit of £xxx.00 as required by xxxx Limited for xxx address xxx was not paid in to an appropriate Tenancy Deposit Scheme (in accordance with section 213 (1) of the Housing Act 2004) and/or the applicant did not received the prescribed information concerning which Tenancy Deposit Scheme was to hold the deposit, within 14 days of the defendants receipt of the deposit (in accordance with section 213 (3) of the Housing Act 2004).

1) The applicant asks that the court makes an order in accordance with the Housing Act 2004 section 214 (3) which states the following;

(a) "order the person who appears to the court to be holding the deposit to repay it to the applicant"

A total of £xxx.00

And I understand that the Court Must also do the following;

2) The applicant asks that the court makes an order in accordance with the Housing Act 2004. Section 214 (4) which states the following;

"The court must also order the landlord to pay to the applicant a sum of money equal to three times the amount of the deposit within the period of 14 days beginning with the date of the making of the order.

A total of £xxx.00

The claimant claims interest for part 1 and 2 under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year, from 8/07/2009 to 30/07/2009 of £xxx.xxand also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxx.xx.

The applicant makes a claim for part 3 & 4 in that the defendant failed to meet his responsibilities and obligations as a landlord as laid down in law under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, Defective Premises Act 1972, Environmental Protection Act 1990, Housing Act 2004, The Tenancy Agreement, Duty of Care and other responsibilities given by statute.

3) Despite numerous requests for the repairs listed below to be carried out since commencing the tenancy on 18th October 2007 up to and including 14th January 2008 none of the essential repairs had been carried out by the landlord or his agent. The applicant therefore asks that the court makes an order to reimburse the applicant for the essential repairs to plumbing and electrics carried out at xxx address xxx paid for by the applicant on 15/01/2008.

• Leaking waste pipe-work in the kitchen or waste pipe for washing machine.
  • Broken & exposed Hall ceiling light pendant
  • Broken Bathroom Baton Light fixture
  • Broken 2way Gang Socket with exposed wires in back children’s bedroom
  • Broken 2way Gang Socket with exposed wires in front master bedroom
  • Missing Surface Box with exposed wires in front master bedroom
  • Corroded and leaking bath fittings
  • Garden Tap (mains left sticking out of ground / trip hazard)

Electrical works: £xxx.28

Plumbing works: £xxx.43

A total of £xxx.71

The claimant claims interest for part 3 under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year, from 13/01/2009 to 30/07/2009 of £xxx.xxx and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxx.xxx.

4) The applicant asks the court to make an order to reimburse the applicant for the cost of replacing the items stolen during the burglary on 2/12/2007.

Please find enclosed a letter dated 2/12/2007, which was provided to the applicant on 14/07/09, which states 14 months before the applicant was burgled (28/2/2009) that the applicant had been in contact with the defendant regarding the condition of the backdoor and having it replaced. It was confirmed by the police the property was also burgled whilst the last tenant was living at the address by the same means.

xxx address xxx was considered by insurance companies leading up to and at the time of the burglary to be unsecure and as such a very high insurance risk, the applicant unable to obtain any form of house contents insurance for the property.

Neither the back kitchen door nor gate leading to the rear alley were fit for the purpose of providing adequate security against unauthorised entry to the property and as a result of the defendant’s failure to meet their obligations as laid out in law and replace these with a more secure hardware. The defendant’s negligence to carry out even a basic duty of care to ensure the applicant and her children’s safety and the safety of her belongings, a burglar with little force gained easy access to xxx address xxx and stole the items listed below.

XXXXXX

Total: £xxx.64

The claimant claims interest for part 4 under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year, from 28/02/2009 to 21/07/2009 of £xxx and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxx.

The applicant is therefore seeking a judgment from the court ordering the defendant to reimburse them in full for the monies as detailed below Plus court fee and interest:-

Part 1. £xxx.00 (original deposit)

Part 2. £xxx.00 (3x original deposit)

Part 3. £xxx.71 (essential repair works carried out)

Part 4. £xxx.64 (items stolen due to landlords negligence)

Total £xxx.35 (Plus Court Fee and Interest)

Theres a sticky on suggested wording for s.214 (TDS non-compliance claims) at the top of the page.

You need form N208. This should deal with TDS non-compliance only.

Anything else you want to claim for such as stolen items, you should make a seperate N1 claim. However, I would be interested to hear what your intended response to the judge will be when he asks you why you considered certain items to be essential repairs that you paid for and the back door was not? (Just playing devils advecate).

Whilst I do consider the back door being replaced an essential repair it was not a small job. The door and entire frame with window to the side and above needed replacing. It would have cost several hundred pound to have this job done and it is not my responsibility.

It was also not my responsibility to have the job done which I did but I considered those essential works to have carried out due to safety and sanity. We have two young children 1 year old and 3 years old. Having exposed live wires in their bedroom is very serious + dangerous.

Whilst I do consider the back door being replaced an essential repair it was not a small job. The door and entire frame with window to the side and above needed replacing. It would have cost several hundred pound to have this job done and it is not my responsibility.

It was also not my responsibility to have the job done which I did but I considered those essential works to have carried out due to safety and sanity. We have two young children 1 year old and 3 years old. Having exposed live wires in their bedroom is very serious + dangerous.

First part is a good response. I would leave the 'not our responsibility' part out though.

sounds awful andrewquinn - i think im going to end up in the same predicament as you and am only a month into my tenancy - no TDS , admission that they have spent the deposit , are penniless so cannot replace broken door locks and condemned gas fire and faulty lighting, no contents insurance and getting no joy from letters and phonecalls... please let me know how you get on..why do people treat people like this?

thanks for your response, will give them a reasonable amount of time ( whatever that is !) and then go to environmental health- am afraid of rocking the boat but if thats whats required to feel safe then so be it - and sorry for hijacking your thread andrewquinn - best of luck with the case- i hope it stops them doing the same to someone else and you get the compensation you rightly deserve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I got their defense and was somewhat surprised.

They basically said they had nothing to do with the house or myself.

I did a bit of investigation work and have chosen to carry on with my claim and file my acknowledgment questionnaire. I got a copy of the register of title for the property which shows a company owns the property even though this company was dissolved 5 years before the purchase date of the property. I find this very strange because there is a secured charge on the property. I do not understand how they managed to get a mortgage using a dissolved company name?? It lists the defendant as the c/o address by name and address. So I spoke to the CAB who said in their eyes they are using this dissolved company as a front to in effect try and be untouchable in law.

I got the company appointments for the defendant and it lists the guy which did the viewings and out muster on the property as the defendant.

The letting agent and the defendant are registered at the same address. They both have the same registered address and company secretary. He is the director of the defendant company and his mum is the director of the letting agency.

The letting agent told me they are the owner/landlord, the managing director of the defendant also told me in person he owed the property. It is general local knowledge he owns the property through his business yet they have actually said they have no connection whatsoever with me or the property. I have already proven they have a connection with the property because they are listed as the c/o address on the register of title.

The CAB told me that the judge will probably wonder why they if they are listed as the service address why they would claim to have nothing to do with the property. They also stated he would not look favorably on them getting a solicitor to defend them in something which is apparently an open shut case in the eyes of their defense.

I know these con artists own the property and are just trying to get out of paying using a loop hole but it is horrible to think people operate like this.

Any advise?

Edited by andrewquinn

You say it shows a charge against the property - does it not show who the mortgagee is?

Perhaps, as a concerned citizen, Mickey Mouse should write to the mortgagee and say that in the process of trying to sort out a financial problem involving said property, MM had discovered that they (the mortgagee) had apparently given a mortgage for the purchase of this property on [date], when in fact the company to which they had lent the money had been dissolved 5 years previously. And MM felt it his duty to inform them of this fact.;)

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

You say it shows a charge against the property - does it not show who the mortgagee is?

Perhaps, as a concerned citizen, Mickey Mouse should write to the mortgagee and say that in the process of trying to sort out a financial problem involving said property, MM had discovered that they (the mortgagee) had apparently given a mortgage for the purchase of this property on [date], when in fact the company to which they had lent the money had been dissolved 5 years previously. And MM felt it his duty to inform them of this fact.;)

Yes it does show who has a secured charge on the property, do you think it is worth writing to them?

• 1 month later...

I was given a date at the end of November for a prelim hearing. In the meantime the defendant’s solicitors filed an application to have my case struck out. I am in court on Friday this week in relation to the strike out.

The defendant has not put any new information into the court. They are still claiming to have nothing to do with myself or the property at all. They are listed as the service address on the deed of title for the property... i.e. Sample Ltd care of Defendant, Defendant address.... the only problem is that Sample Ltd is incorporated in Ireland and was dissolved 5 years prior to the purchase of the property.

I contacted the defendant's solicitor to try and clear up why they are listed on the deed of title and they said they would not comment.

The director of the defendant's was the person who showed us round the property and claimed he owned the property. The letting agent told us we would have to take the defendant to court as they are merely the letting agent. The other problem is the letting agent and the defendant are the same company just different names... they have same secretary, directors, etc.

This whole case from start to finish just smells of a big [problem] and im hoping the judge will see through their bull. Could someone give me any advise? Also what can I expect to happen on Friday? Will we be cross examined,etc?

I was given a date at the end of November for a prelim hearing. In the meantime the defendant’s solicitors filed an application to have my case struck out. I am in court on Friday this week in relation to the strike out.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think you should apply to have your landlords defence struck out on the grounds it has no real prospect of success, much like he is trying to do to you.

Seems to be an open and shut case that he is the Landlord. Presumably you have emails from him acting as the Landlord?

From the Act:

references to a landlord or landlords in relation to any shorthold tenancy or tenancies include references to a person or persons acting on his or their behalf in relation to the tenancy or tenancies

Seems pretty clear, with all the other informaiton that you have provided, that there is no way he can argue that he wasnt the landlord. And judges arent stupid!

Let us know how you get on and good luck!

I am very mixed about how court went the other day. Our case was not struck out but the judge told me to get some legal advise before the alloc hearing at the end of November.

The defendant never turned up to court just his solicitor. He came to court with a copy of the office copies and a copy of our tenancy agreement we signed. He quoted some laws from the housing act but kept getting the landlord and tenant act and the housing act mixed up.

Could someone point me in the direction of the act which states "references to a landlord or landlords in relation to any shorthold tenancy or tenancies include references to a person or persons acting on his or their behalf in relation to the tenancy or tenancies "

We were never given a copy of the tenancy agreement, it was always "in the post" and then I forgot about it. I find it very strange that the defendant who claims to have nothing to do with the property or myself have access to a copy of the tenancy agreement and I also find the letting agents breach of data protection interesting too... are tenancy agreements covered under the DPA?

The defendant also showed the judge some information about the company who are apparently our landlord stating they are Guernsey. I have just searched the Guernsey companies house with no company in that name or previous name listed. I really am at a total loss!!!

I have put the apparent landlord company name into google and it only comes back with the listing I had found with the dissolved company in Ireland as listed on the office copies and a planning application... interestingly the planning application is dated in 2007 and was for work to be done on the registered offices of the defendant. Im going to get the office copies for the registered offices for the defendant and if it lists the defendant as the owner why would this apprent blag company be having work done on it.

Is it a legal requirement if you want to put Limited or Ltd after your company name it has to be registed/incorporated?

I am very mixed about how court went the other day. Our case was not struck out but the judge told me to get some legal advise before the alloc hearing at the end of November.

I think that the judge realises that this is not a simple case and that you may be way out of your depth and thus do need legal representation. It sounds as if the LL's solicitor is not sure what he is doing, but this may just be your interpretation of the proceedings.

The defendant never turned up to court just his solicitor. He came to court with a copy of the office copies and a copy of our tenancy agreement we signed. He quoted some laws from the housing act but kept getting the landlord and tenant act and the housing act mixed up.
as you have said, how do they have a copy of the signed agreement if they are nothing to do with it??

Could someone point me in the direction of the act which states "references to a landlord or landlords in relation to any shorthold tenancy or tenancies include references to a person or persons acting on his or their behalf in relation to the tenancy or tenancies "

It is in the tenancy deposit legislation:

Letting Agent Or Landlord Responsible For Securing Deposit Into A Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme?

We were never given a copy of the tenancy agreement, it was always "in the post" and then I forgot about it. I find it very strange that the defendant who claims to have nothing to do with the property or myself have access to a copy of the tenancy agreement

Agreed

and I also find the letting agents breach of data protection interesting too... are tenancy agreements covered under the DPA?
Not sure what you are talking about here. Letting Agent works for LL and therefore LL is entitled to see any documentation involved in his letting of the property.

The defendant also showed the judge some information about the company who are apparently our landlord stating they are Guernsey. I have just searched the Guernsey companies house with no company in that name or previous name listed. I really am at a total loss!!!

I have put the apparent landlord company name into google and it only comes back with the listing I had found with the dissolved company in Ireland as listed on the office copies and a planning application... interestingly the planning application is dated in 2007 and was for work to be done on the registered offices of the defendant. Im going to get the office copies for the registered offices for the defendant and if it lists the defendant as the owner why would this apprent blag company be having work done on it.

Is it a legal requirement if you want to put Limited or Ltd after your company name it has to be registed/incorporated?

I seriously agree with the judge that you need legal representation here - and you need someone who knows what they are doing.

I think you have to seriously consider whether to continue with this course of action. I know you will feel angry and aggrieved at the way you have been treated, and will want to see "justice done" - and get your money back. BUT this could turn into a far bigger battle than you originally anticipated.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

From the Act...

Housing Act 2004 (c. 34)

See Section 212(9)(a)

Not sure what you are talking about here. Letting Agent works for LL and therefore LL is entitled to see any documentation involved in his letting of the property.

That is what I mean... the letting agent have provided them with a copy of the tenancy agreement but in the 2nd breathe they are stating they are nothing to do with me or the tenancy or the property. If this is the case... have the letting agent broken DPA by supplying the defendant with a copy of the tenancy agreement?

I think that the judge realises that this is not a simple case and that you may be way out of your depth and thus do need legal representation. It sounds as if the LL's solicitor is not sure what he is doing, but this may just be your interpretation of the proceedings.

He kept calling it the landlord and tenant act 2004. I have never heard of this?

He kept calling it the landlord and tenant act 2004. I have never heard of this?

did you try putting "landlord and tenant act 2004" into Google?

Also see post #21 above.

I think this is why judge thinks you may need help from a solicitor - it is not a simple case and you could tie yourself in knots trying to sort it all out.

Kentish Lass

did you try putting "landlord and tenant act 2004" into Google?

Also see post #21 above.

I think this is why judge thinks you may need help from a solicitor - it is not a simple case and you could tie yourself in knots trying to sort it all out.

Yes but he was quoting the housing act 2004 when stating it was the landlord and tenant act 2004. IS it the same thing?