You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

gemspan

Can I still claim JSA if I claim carers allowance?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4009 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there

I look after my elderly next door neighbour. At the moment I do all her housework, washing, go in every day to clean up and make her a cup of tea etc., She is becoming increasingly confused and I feel she now needs more help.

I recently lost my job and am claiming JSA. I have only just reached the point where my mortgage will be paid. I was wondering if I were to care for my neighbour officially and claim carers allowance, would I be able to still claim JSA and my mortgage payment entitlement? Its not very clear on the DWP website.

It says that my JSA would have a premium of £29.10 but I don't know if that's in place of my mortgage payment or simply a payment because of the work I do for my neighbour.

I'd be pleased if somebody could help me out here.

Thank you

Gemspan

PS: Also, if I get a job I notice I can only earn £95 after tax. Is there a limit on the number of hours you can work?

hi yes u can earn £95 per week before its taken into account...you would only be able to claim carers allowance if your friend/neighbour recieved full benefit of disability living allowance thats full care and mobility component..your jsa would stop because carers allowance is a taxable income...obviously classed as a working income...speak to your friend to see if she does get dla because if you could claim ca and work as well that would be better than just claiming ca and losing jsa...not sure how much jsa is weekly but sure you dont want to lose it..

Your JSA would NOT stop if you received carers allowance.

You can claim Carers Allowance and Jobseekers Allowance at the same time, but there are restrictions, if the JSA is income based, you could only receive the carers premium of £29.50 rather than full carers allowance. Your council tax benefit may be reduced if you receive carers allowance. It is also worth knowing that benefit the person you are caring for may be reduced if you receive carers allowance.

Your neighbour would need to be in reciept of either Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance and you would need to be spending at least 35 hours per week caring for him to be eligible for carers allownace.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)